Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Another mass shooting...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Another mass shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend of Hockeytown View Post
    Other counties do things better. US is lost.
    Other countries have crazy people and violent video games too. Only the US has more guns than people...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Explain how that will make things worst?
    See Prohibition
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    See Prohibition
    not sure how the two are related. care to elaborate?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

The Great One

Here’s the thing about this issue that often gets lost in this debate. The 2nd amendment is not in the constitution to guarantee citizens the right to hunt ducks or shoot deer. It’s there to ensure no enemy, including the government of the United States, can subjugate the citizens of this country. It’s a check on the power of our own government as well as an insurance policy against foreign invasion. Is it outdated? Probably. Had guns been woven into the fabric of the culture of the Jewish European diaspora, would the holocaust have been a thing? How many Ukrainians right now would say it’s a good idea to give up their guns? Yes, these are extreme examples. But this is why we are allowed to own AR-15s. No, I do not need one to hunt deer. But my neighbors and I could form an effective militia pretty quickly if desperate times called for it. That is what we need to understand about this issue. Like I said, it seems ridiculously out dated. But shit happens (again, check in with the Ukrainians) even in this day and age.

There has to be an answer and I don’t know what it is. It’s not as simple as “get rid of all the guns” or “it’s a mental health issue” or “background checks” (which is a complete bullshit answer). I would tend to agree that we probably need to disarm this country. But that will not happen. If we as a country were all agreed, I’d turn in my guns. Im a realist. As noted in other responses, too many people here value what the 2nd amendment guarantees and are not reasonable about it. That cat is waaaaaayyy out of the bag. Honestly, the cost and effort involved in disarming the US would be far higher than that of securing schools. I don’t know if that’s the answer. Unfortunately, you don’t need a license or to prove competence in most states to own a gun. You certainly don’t need one to have a kid. That’s a big part of the problem as well. That and the fact that these shit bags see the response these events get in the news and on social media and they twist it into their own 15 mins of fame. It’s all sick. All of it. Where do we go?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

There is no solution because the USA is an utterly ****ed up country swirling away to its demise.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    There is no solution because the USA is an utterly ****ed up country swirling away to its demise.
    Republicans are saying it’s not a gun problem it’s a mental illness problem. They are spot on, the law makers in the US are mentally ill after failing to do anything at all… many many times. Imagine being a parent in the US and worrying while you are at work that you may never see your child(ren) alive again. Unfortunately this will happen again.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

Reading the responses to this thread makes it quite clear who the pro-gun folk here are.

While there are no perfect solutions, the most effective, most practical solution that will have some immediate impact is gun control. Simple as that.

Those pointing to mental health, how we raise kids, etc... Are simply dancing around the issue and using these broad smoke screens that they know are impossible to fix in order to hold onto their guns just a little longer. It's pathetic. How do we "raise kids better"? How long does that take? How do you measure it? How much does it cost? What a ****ing joke of an excuse. Then you have the NRA pointing the finger at mental illness. It seriously makes me cringe.

There will always be bad, evil people in the world . There will always be mentally troubled people. This will never change. All you can practically do is make it that much harder for them to get access to their weapons of destruction.

It's inevitable that gun control laws will be introduced. The mass shootings will only get worse. It's only a question of how many more children, women and people of colour need to die.

Dobber Sports Star

For anyone who doesn't think restricting guns to some extent would at least HELP this problem, do you think any of us would be here if nuclear weapons were as readily available as assault rifles in the US? The answer is no.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I have two thoughts on this. One thought is about the mentality that contributes to this and many other problems we have in society and the other thought is about a solution which we will never get to in my opinion. This will be proven by the responses I get (if any) to my post.

Thought 1 - There is this very popular and widely accepted saying that I absolutely hate and it's far too pervasive in today's mentality - "The Serenity Prayer". (the old version that is not being peddled reads totally different to me, that one i can accept) It's bullshit and breeds apathy, not progress. Sorry, but it's just too easy to say "not my problem", or "I cant do anything about this", and just become numb to and accept these situations as the reality.

Thought 2 - Very recently I listened to a "Smartless" podcast in which they interviewed a chap named Sam Harris. I had no idea who this guy is but one observation he made totally made sense to me. To paraphrase - he pointed out that today's society lives with archaic rules that were written thousands (religious scriptures) or hundreds (constitutions and other civil laws) of years ago and we just don't live in that world anymore. The rules of life are outdated and should be re-written. This is clearly true, I think we can agree, but the hard part will be to get people on board with a new vision of humanity, not to mention what that vision actually is. [ie - how do we get everyone to agree that shooting other people because you are mad is a bad idea.] Have a listen, Sam Harris has a very holistic view of the world, at least that is how his words struck me. (just googled him, he has his own podcast. will give it a try)

So this is not a post specifically about gun control, but more about our problems, why we have so many, and why there appear to be more and more all the time. Because there are. As we "evolve" or try to, we have old reigns tied to us holding us back. We will not be able to move forward as fast as we are "evolving" unless the rules of life keep up. Since we got political here on the forums its pretty clear there are always two sides, and they are very strong. It isn't always the same people on both sides mind you so that does give me a touch of optimism. The only way we are going to get everyone on the same page is if people stop saying "their truth" and listen to what the other side is saying, really listen and have a conversion without personal emotion, and get to the point where we understand the other side's point of view and accept it as the way forward. Can we do it?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    While there are no perfect solutions, the most effective, most practical solution that will have some immediate impact is gun control. Simple as that.
    How much gun control are you proposing?

@audiopile

I use to listen to the Sam Harris podcast for awhile. Fascinating mind, but quickly grew sleepy of his super calm approach as a weekly listen.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Wizard

its definitely to do with mental health of people...no questions asked. People in right mind dont do this...however i think it would be much easier to collect every gun ever made then identify and treat mental issues in people....technology we got does not help either it makes things much worst...not sure how many knows and im not sure its still true but about 5 years ago 2 places that had most kids born with Autism were Silicone Valley and Waterloo, Ontario. What do those 2 places have in common? At least 5 years ago they were two places where computer technology was at its highest...

its the culture we live in and its not changing anytime soon...only way to try to do better is to increase security measures in mass public gatherings like schools, sporting and other events, nightclubs and so on... will it 100% work? probably not but it should help...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

I think audiophile brings up a strong point in that we are abiding by the rules of past generations. Rules/laws have to adapt to current ways of living. If we don’t then we will continually spiral backwards as human beings. Most governments are content with the status quo or even going a few steps back. Listening is easier said than done these days because people just want to be heard/followed/liked.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    How much gun control are you proposing?

@audiopile

I use to listen to the Sam Harris podcast for awhile. Fascinating mind, but quickly grew sleepy of his super calm approach as a weekly listen.
    id start with ban on assault riffles and handguns

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    id start with ban on assault riffles and handguns
    I’m not asking this sarcastically - how would that work? Like what would the nuts and bolts of this look like? Just to be clear, I’m genuine in asking this...I want to hear your ideas.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I’m not asking this sarcastically - how would that work? Like what would the nuts and bolts of this look like? Just to be clear, I’m genuine in asking this...I want to hear your ideas.
    Ya it's not an easy thing to do or sure. I mean, school shootings are also "banned", yet here we are. I believe it's been done with some success in other countries though, so there is some precedent for it.