Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Another mass shooting...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Another mass shooting...

So I know this is a polarizing subject. We have another mass shooting in Uvalde Texas today. 18 dead children and an adult, not including the shooter.

So I know that there are those out there who suggest gun control won't help. I pretty firmly believe that it would. So, what would it take to do away with the Second Amendment? I know the gun lobby is incredibly powerful. I also know a lot of people in the States are fanatical about their guns. Is it possible to remove the Second Amendment without plunging into Civil War? This is crazy to me... Children. Sad.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Another mass shooting...

I read 3 adults now. At least one a teacher.
    Also 2 police officers wounded but expected to survive

And:
    "A Border Patrol agent who was nearby when the shooting began rushed into the school without waiting for backup and shot and killed the gunman, who was behind a barricade, according to a law enforcement official"
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Wizard

this is a hard topic so i wont say too much ...however my believe is that gun control would help with mass shootings like that ...those are usually individuals and i think making it harder to get a gun for those individuals would make a bit of difference. However i think this would create even more gun violence in general. I think gangs and organized crime groups would be even more terrifying if there was no guns in people houses and so on.

What i think would help a lot would be having police at each school, each organized event and so on...obviously some things have that but there are many that do not...obviously this is an expensive option but if government wants to do something about it to me that would be a good start.

Unfortunately , there is no good, easy answer for this....and its absolutely horrible
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ninja

Gun control is a no brainer...

It's ok - at this rate families looking to raise kids will just leave the country and eventually all that's left will be the gun fanatics shooting each other

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Gun control is a no brainer...

It's ok - at this rate families looking to raise kids will just leave the country and eventually all that's left will be the gun fanatics shooting each other
    Completely agree

Dobber Sports Master

as these mass shooting continue theres possibly another percentage of folks who never considered owning a hand gun before that will start thinking about it for self defense .

so theres bound to be even more guns , not less

Dobber Sports Stud

A good start would be background checks and a ban of assault weapons. These alone would go a long way to reducing the carnage. It won't stop it, but it would help.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Reasonable people with the means to leave should not be living in the USA. I feel very bad for those who do not have the means to leave.

Dobber Sports Icon

i am not an American, so i wont pretend to understand what needs to be done or what its like to live in your country with your rights to bear arms. but gun laws etc are just something to be worked around if someone really wants a firearm. just like underage booze, if you wanted it, you knew who to ask to get it (realize obviously the two are in totally different realms, just making a point).

what i am though is a parent, and this as well as the past shootings makes me angry and scared for kids these days. i dont know the answers, but somewhere along the way, parents failed these kids that are the shooters. you can blame society all you want, but WE let it get there. yes times have changes but when did it become OK to not notice something was happening in our childs lives to the point that they take a gun to school and start shooting.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Another senseless act. Children in grades 2 to 4. What a devastating loss to the families involved and the community.

The USA is like the Wild West when it comes to attitude about gun control. Considering the initial intent of the 2nd amendment in the 1700’s was the right for a militia to be armed to secure a free state. Has grown to a change of the amendment in the 21st century giving every individual the right to own a gun for self defence.

Gun control. There is no gun control.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Superstar

I generally dislike when celebrities or athletes speak out on one-off moments because they are not well informed.
    Steve Kerr is an exception, he is intelligent, deeply knowledgeable and well spoken. Here were his comments.

https://twitter.com/NotoriousOHM/sta...44558239973376
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

There's no easy fix.

Best way is to reduce (to zero as much as possible) root causes such as (but not limited to) abuse, trauma, addiction, and poverty.

Any gun control must be carefully placed. Not too lightly, but also not too strict or organized crime will take advantage as providing easy secondary option.
    I don't know where USA is on this spectrum, and I don't care to, but I imagine it's too much on the light side.
    Need to find the balance.

"I need a gun for self defense" is the biggest farce argument...

As far as "do away with the Second Amendment".
    USA is so big, what if select States do away with it.
    That way people can move if they really feel strongly about it, and everyone can be... a little less unhappy...
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Stud

Why does this not happen in Europe? Far East? Latin America?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    There's no easy fix.

Best way is to reduce (to zero as much as possible) root causes such as (but not limited to) abuse, trauma, addiction, and poverty.
    Yes there is...Ban Guns. Thats the fix. We just dont have the spine or courage to vote in the people to do so. Follow the $$$$

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Star

Obviously there is more to it than mental illness. Obviously there is more to it than gun control. It is a complicated issue with many factors.

For me, the 2 things that heavily contribute to these regularly occurring instances, is people wishing to harm others and opportunity. There are lots of sick, or crazy, or people in fits of blind rage who want to harm others. There is also a great opportunity to obtain weapons which kill quickly and efficiently. The combination of both of these things is a deadly combination.

Look at it this way. If you take 2 married men and one is ugly, fat, a jerk and doesn't shower regularly and the other is incredibly attractive, works out regularly and is super nice to everyone, who is more likely to cheat on his wife? I would say statistically, the second guy. He is just going to get more opportunity to cheat. It doesn't make him more loyal if nobody will sleep with the ugly dude.

Also, if you take a situation like this. You have a person who wants to do you harm, but they live in China and you live in Toronto. Well there is not a lot of good opportunity for him to hurt you. Conversely, if you take a guy who doesn't want to hurt you who lives right beside you, well you are relatively safe in that situation too. However, you take a guy who wants to do you harm and have him live right beside you, well you might be in pretty grave danger. The combination of wanting to do harm and having a good opportunity to do it, heavily increase the danger. If you remove or reduce one of the factors, I would think the danger would be greatly reduced.

Removing guns would save lives. I think that is undeniable. Yes, some crazies will still find a way to harm people, but without the opportunity being so easy, I think it would really help. To me, there is no other explanation as to why this only really happens in the US.

People who support the Second Amendment often come back with ridiculous arguments like "Guns are just tools", "Guns don't kill people; people do" and "Stronger gun laws won't help. The bad guys will always find a way". To me, this is all disingenuous. I can drive a truck through the holes in each of those arguments. I think the truth is that many Second Amendment supporters know deep down what the truth is, but they are ok with it because they really like their guns. To me, that's sad. The price of the Second Amendment is blood, including children.

Rylant