Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeper League Question

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Keeper League Question

I am in a keep 4 yahoo league. Ten teams, and you can keep players for up to 3 years. You need to give up the draft pick where they were drafted (if FA you need to give up your last pick.) If you keep two players in the same round I'm assuming you then forfeit the pick above where they were picked (for example, if I kept Saros and Batherson I'd give up 15th and 16th rd picks.)

Cats are G,A,PPP,SOG,HIT,BL,W,GAA,SV,SO.

I'm almost positive I want to keep Shesterkin, Eichel and Saros, but the last slot is in question.

I'm a little worried about a potential Trotz hire in Vegas(Eichel,) and the bad team effect in Nash (Saros,) but not enough to discount the value of getting those players for such late round picks. For me Shesterkin is a top 2 tendie, and getting him in the 5th rd for the next few years is a steal.

I'm leaning towards Batherson for upside, but I don't love his low shots. I'm tempted to keep Letang or Josi, but I worry about regression, and I'm a little gun shy to keep Patches with his injury history this year, although there's a chance he could light it up on a healthy Vegas squad.

Who would you keep and why?

• Shesterkin (5th rd)
    • Saros (16th rd)
    • Eichel (13th rd)
    • Josi (6th rd)
    • Patches (16th rd)
    • Batherson (16th rd)
    • Letang (16th rd)
    • JT Miller (5th rd)
    • Barkov (3rd rd)
    • Campbell (7th rd)

Side note: as you can see by some of players I picked up in FA, this is somewhat of a clown league. I'm not sure what that effects for this purpose, although it could give me a little more leeway to go for homerun hits.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Keeper League Question

Shesterkin
    Josi
    Barkov
    Miller

Fifth is Eichel…
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Rookie

Did you read the part about the draft picks? In that scenario I’d be giving up a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th. And I’d be leaving out Saros for a last round draft pick, and Eichel for a 13th rd.

I what is your though process?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First the no-brainers:
    Saros (16th rd) - A workhorse Vezina candidate in aleague with saves as a 16th round pick? Yes, please.
    Eichel (13th rd) - A guy you drafted late on an injury rebound speculation requires keeping to get the value out of that pick.

Yes, I realize that's only 2 players. However in a league like this, value being tied to picks you are giving up is huge.

Clear keep:
    Shesterkin (5th rd)

Shesterkin isn't a no-brainer for me, because I wanted give him a bit more comment, and I'd think about dealing him to somebody before he goes back into the draft. You might be able to get say a 2nd out of him, if you deal him away and a team can keep him for a 5th. I would probably not do that this year, though.That assumes that they also get to keep him for a 5th for that last year, before he goes back in. If the clock resets, and they get to keep him at a 5th for 3 more years, then there's no worry about doing that.

Not enough value in keeping them:
    Barkov (3rd rd)
    JT Miller (5th rd)
    Josi (6th rd)
    Campbell (7th rd)

You might get a couple rounds of value here, but it's not what you can get from the other options.

The options:
    Batherson (16th rd)
    Letang (16th rd)
    Patches (16th rd)

To me, this is a choice between Letang or Batherson.
    Letang may regress, but understand that he's an elite fantasy asset on D. If he stays in Pittsburgh, I probably keep him, although I udnerstand he may only have a year or two of eliteness left. being able to keep him for only 3 years means this is less of an issue. Also you could deal him away if another better keeper emerges on your team.

However, maybe Batherson is a better keeper. He's on a team where he's under the radar, and has little name recognition. I suspect he'd get drafted later than Letang normally, so I'd aim to redraft him cheaply next year, and then keep him if it makes sense.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First the no-brainers:
    Saros (16th rd) - A workhorse Vezina candidate in aleague with saves as a 16th round pick? Yes, please.
    Eichel (13th rd) - A guy you drafted late on an injury rebound speculation requires keeping to get the value out of that pick.

Yes, I realize that's only 2 players. However in a league like this, value being tied to picks you are giving up is huge.

Clear keep:
    Shesterkin (5th rd)

Shesterkin isn't a no-brainer for me, because I wanted give him a bit more comment, and I'd think about dealing him to somebody before he goes back into the draft. You might be able to get say a 2nd out of him, if you deal him away and a team can keep him for a 5th. I would probably not do that this year, though.That assumes that they also get to keep him for a 5th for that last year, before he goes back in. If the clock resets, and they get to keep him at a 5th for 3 more years, then there's no worry about doing that.

Barkov (3rd rd)
    JT Miller (5th rd)
    Josi (6th rd)
    Campbell (7th rd)

You might get a couple rounds of value here, but it's not what you can get from the other options.

The options:
    Batherson (16th rd)
    Letang (16th rd)
    Patches (16th rd)

Letang may regress, but understand that he's an elite fantasy asset on D. If he stays in Pittsburgh, I probably keep him, although I udnerstand he may only have a year or two of eliteness left. being able to keep him for only 3 years means this is less of an issue. Also you could deal him away if another better keeper emerges on your team.

However, maybe Batherson is a better keeper. He's on a team where he's under the radar, and has little name recognition. I suspect he'd get drafted later than Letang normally, so I'd aim to redraft him cheaply next year, and then keep him if it makes sense.
    Can't argue with this much. I'm not crazy about protecting two goalies here but I don't really think you have much choice, there are just no no brainer better options by the looks of it although in your format an argument could be made for Miller in the 5th. As a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about a Trotz factor holding Eichel back. Before this season began a good number of folks on this forum were convinced that Sutter would destine Johnny Hockey to another year of mediocrity. And look what happened. The cream rises to the top.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

How many do you start at each position? I think Saros at that spot in the draft is great value, but Shesterkin is also a clear keeper.

If you're keeping 2G, then I agree with the three you have pegged. The last spot comes down to Miller or Josi for me. Both are excellent value in a 10 team league at that round. You wouldn't get either at that round value.

I am just not sure you need to keep 2G unless you are starting 2G. That is what is missing here for me to make a proper determination.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How many do you start at each position? I think Saros at that spot in the draft is great value, but Shesterkin is also a clear keeper.

If you're keeping 2G, then I agree with the three you have pegged. The last spot comes down to Miller or Josi for me. Both are excellent value in a 10 team league at that round. You wouldn't get either at that round value.

I am just not sure you need to keep 2G unless you are starting 2G. That is what is missing here for me to make a proper determination.
    Ya, that's what I meant to say (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Saros, Shesty, Eichel, and Miller for me.
    Yahoo 12-team H2H partial keeper league (keep 7 vets + 3 prospects (p = skater <201 gp; goalie < 101gp))

G,A,P,PIM,+/-,PPP,SOG,FW,hits, blocks, W,GAA,SV%,Saves
    Start 3/3/3/5/2

C: Kopitar, P. Suter, Carlsson (p), Lundell (p), Norris
    LW: B. Tkachuk, Stutzle (c), Colton (c), Ehlers
    RW: Rantanen, Caufield (lw), Svechnikov (lw), Foegele (lw)
    D: Dahlin, Andersson, Chychrun, Montour, Sanheim, Matheson, Faber (p)
    G: Talbot, Forsberg, Daws (p), Wolf (p, NA)
    IR: Fantilli, Sergachev, Jeannot, Ingram
    NA: Levi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Saros, Shesty, Eichel, and Miller for me.
    I'm on this boat as well. I think you have a consensus of Igor, Saros & Eichel.

While there's some potential value in some of your later round guys, you still want to roster the best team possible. Taking a known commodity who's going to produce for you is a must in a keep 4, so I think the next best value is Miller for a 5th.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I'm on this boat as well. I think you have a consensus of Igor, Saros & Eichel.

While there's some potential value in some of your later round guys, you still want to roster the best team possible. Taking a known commodity who's going to produce for you is a must in a keep 4, so I think the next best value is Miller for a 5th.
    Just to clarify, if I keep Shesterkin I assume I’d be giving up a 4th to keep Miller (since Shesterkin and Miller were both drafted in the 5th, and I only have 1 fifth rd pick.) Also, I finished first, so my 4th rd pick will be at the top of the round.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Ya, that's what I meant to say (:
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First the no-brainers:

Clear keep:
    Shesterkin (5th rd)

Barkov (3rd rd)
    JT Miller (5th rd)
    Josi (6th rd)
    Campbell (7th rd)

The options:
    Batherson (16th rd)
    Letang (16th rd)
    Patches (16th rd)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Can't argue with this much. I'm not crazy about protecting two goalies here but I don't really think you have much choice, there are just no no brainer better options by the looks of it although in your format an argument could be made for Miller in the 5th. As a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about a Trotz factor holding Eichel back. Before this season began a good number of folks on this forum were convinced that Sutter would destine Johnny Hockey to another year of mediocrity. And look what happened. The cream rises to the top.
    This is really helpfulÂ…great analysis.

Dobber Sports Icon

Saros and Shesty fer sure

Eichel at 13th isgreat value

To offset the high pick for Miller id hold Batherson here instead.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Rookie

I’m leaning batherson with that last keep..,especially since I made a stupid trade in order to get him as a keeper…😳😂

If we have the option to trade before selecting keepers I plan to try and see if I can swing a batherson and Josi or Letang type deal for Jack Hughes.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would keep Miller in this league. He's got to be a top 10 player with these cats.

In a keep 4 I wouldn't gamble on someone like Batherson even with your sunk cost situation. Try to trade him. I'd also never keep a defenseman in a keep 4 if I had other options. If your league set up really doesn't benefit you much to have two starting goalies, I'd give some thought to trading one of them.

With productive keepers and good drafting you will compete every season in a league like this.
    23-24 NHL Schedule
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1242679413
    See number of games, off night games and back to back games for each match up

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by 65jeff View Post
    I would keep Miller in this league. He's got to be a top 10 player with these cats.

In a keep 4 I wouldn't gamble on someone like Batherson even with your sunk cost situation. Try to trade him. I'd also never keep a defenseman in a keep 4 if I had other options. If your league set up really doesn't benefit you much to have two starting goalies, I'd give some thought to trading one of them.

With productive keepers and good drafting you will compete every season in a league like this.
    Why wouldn’t you keep 2? Goalie cats are 4/10, which IMO is too heavily weighed. I always highly value goalies, but especially in this type of format. Also, I feel like the two tendies are among my better value gained from what I’ll have to give up.

My one hesitancy with keeping two goalies would be…voodoo. Also, depending on what direction Nashville goes in the off-season, team talent level could be a concern.

As far as D, like most leagues, good forwards are easier to obtain in FA, which to me makes keeping D more rewarding than keeping F. I’m just not sure I want to keep the D I have.

My hesitancy in keeping Batherson has to do with how shallow the league is. For example, Bennet was a borderline drop on my team over the last half of the season. If he doesn’t light it up like he did before getting injured I’m not sure if he’s worth it. He also was playing away from tkachuk and Norris at the EOY, which is a concern.