Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

They need to clean up their cap some, and my targets to move would be Mrazek, Brodie, and Kerfoot. However, they have too many D with movement restricting clauses in Muzzin, Brodie, Rielly, Holl, plus Mrazek. So it may be Kerfoot + Holl, which should be enough to sign Campbell, but not much else.

I don't think Shanahan is really a problem. I think Dubas might have one more year, but he's not a bad GM, it's just that it hasn't worked out well enough for a major market.

Keefe seems fine to me. Trotz is not a fit with this talent.

They have a decent amount of youth, and they need to start playing them more, particularly on D.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

To address and put aside any possible pro-Leafs bias from the start: I loathe the Leafs. There's not much in sports that makes me happier than seeing them lose.

So with that clear, regarding the question at issue, my outsider opinion is that the more they do this offseason to "address" the issue, the further back they are likely to set themselves. That's a really, really solid team. Coaching doesn't appear to be an issue at all. They ran into a two-time defending Cup champion team -- and perhaps the best goalie in the world -- who rose up with their backs against the wall the past two games. It sucks if you're the Leafs. But it happens.

Toronto's biggest issue could be playing in Toronto, and being forced to do *something* simply to placate the millions of armchair GMs and media who are likely to be full throat with pitchforks and torches ready until moves are made that "fix" the problem. I'd stay the course if I were calling the shots.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Lmao Trotz literally took over a “high flying offensive team that couldn’t win in the playoffs” and then won them a Stanley Cup less than 4 years ago and mfers in here saying he wouldn’t fit Edmonton or Toronto lmao.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Trotz is a great coach but doesn't fit well in Edmonton. Also, with the way Edmonton has played recently, I expect them to remove "interim" tag from Woodcroft and Manson.

Rylant
    Yeah,, Woodcroft has been really good and the players seem to love him.

I am not a big fan of Trotz personally and don't think he would be much of an upgrade in Toronto at all. I really think they have all of the pieces. Another season of experience should work wonders.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think first and foremost, Toronto needs a new playoff theme song...if I may make a suggestion

12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Deity

Toronto continues to show that building from the front doesn't win in the playoffs. Until that changes, nothing changes in Toronto as far as playoff success.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Fleury (939 career games, 167 playoff games), Talbot (396 career games, 33 playoff games), or Varlamov (560 career games, 60 playoff games). Not that Campbell was a "problem" per se, but a 30 year old with fewer than 100 starts before this season and no prior playoff experience might have been the difference, if not actually than perhaps even subconsciously. I think if one of those other three was backstopping, then the Leafs play with more confidence and a wider open style that likely would have carried the day.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

I don’t know man - the Wild had Talbot AND Fleury and a really good group (albeit young and inexperienced up front) of F and D and they couldn’t get out of the first round. Those F should have been freewheeling like you read about and they were terrible except Kaprizov and Zucc.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Initiate

Trotz will be in Winnipeg. But I suppose Leafs fans they are in contention to get any and every GM/Coach/Player available.

Joke of a franchise, glad they lost.

What do they need to do?

get a real goalie, get better defense, and not rely on matthews and marner for all the offense.

holy hell does that sound familiar? It sure does, because Edmonton has arguably the same issues, but at least they made it to round 2.

The Great One

Had Edmonton played Tampa in the first round they’d have been swept. There’s that.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Toronto continues to show that building from the front doesn't win in the playoffs. Until that changes, nothing changes in Toronto as far as playoff success.
    Just how exactly do you think Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, hell even Chicago was built lol

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Had Edmonton played Tampa in the first round they’d have been swept. There’s that.
    had my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    To address and put aside any possible pro-Leafs bias from the start: I loathe the Leafs. There's not much in sports that makes me happier than seeing them lose.

So with that clear, regarding the question at issue, my outsider opinion is that the more they do this offseason to "address" the issue, the further back they are likely to set themselves. That's a really, really solid team. Coaching doesn't appear to be an issue at all. They ran into a two-time defending Cup champion team -- and perhaps the best goalie in the world -- who rose up with their backs against the wall the past two games. It sucks if you're the Leafs. But it happens.

Toronto's biggest issue could be playing in Toronto, and being forced to do *something* simply to placate the millions of armchair GMs and media who are likely to be full throat with pitchforks and torches ready until moves are made that "fix" the problem. I'd stay the course if I were calling the shots.
    I agree with this post. Patience may be running out in Toronto but there is no need to panic. I too enjoy seeing the Leafs get knocked out but they are a very good team that will get over the hump .

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerParkFlyers View Post
    I agree with this post. Patience may be running out in Toronto but there is no need to panic. I too enjoy seeing the Leafs get knocked out but they are a very good team that will get over the hump .
    I agree as well. There are more similarities to them and peak Caps teams than not, although further to my earlier post eventually that team got their goalie in Holtby......
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

This might not be a popular opinion but what do you think about giving the captaincy to AM? The guy has clearly done everything you can ask from a leader. I don’t think he and Marner were the problems of this team. Sometimes your identity of the team reflects on your captain. Maybe he’s not the guy to lead this team anymore, I realize he won’t be dealt but would you strip (maybe too strong of a word) of the captaincy? Or does that “C” really mean anything. I just think this team takes on too much of his personality, quiet and not overly tough. I dunno.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent