Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Do not blow it up Toronto. Just simply add a little bit more to the back-end and trade for a goalie. They won't re-sign Campbell as he'll demand too much.

I do wonder, if perhaps ( just an odd-ball thought on my end ) if the Leafs trade Nylander for John Gibson. They both make around the same money.

Then add a piece or two to the defense.
    Gibson is the most likely (supposedly) good and young-ish goalie who could be available. however, trading willie for him would be a massive overpay as gibson has 4 more years at 6.5m with pretty ehhhh numbers and typically goalies dont move for alot.

If i was toronto, id offer mrazek (and his contract) + sandin + one other piece for gibson. gotta be damn sure that gibson is your guy though. dubas has acquired several goalies now and they have not worked out. playing in toronto is not for everyone and especially so for a goalie
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Gibson is the most likely (supposedly) good and young-ish goalie who could be available. however, trading willie for him would be a massive overpay as gibson has 4 more years at 6.5m with pretty ehhhh numbers and typically goalies dont move for alot.

If i was toronto, id offer mrazek (and his contract) + sandin + one other piece for gibson. gotta be damn sure that gibson is your guy though. dubas has acquired several goalies now and they have not worked out. playing in toronto is not for everyone and especially so for a goalie

I bet you would.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

A smart thing to do would be to see if they can fleece Chuck Fletcher and get somebody off the Flyers that would help them. Provorov & Hart are reportedly available.

The issue is that I'm not sure if a D like Muzzin or Brodie would interest Fletcher as a main piece coming back. They want a third D that is more experienced than Provorov.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    A smart thing to do would be to see if they can fleece Chuck Fletcher and get somebody off the Flyers that would help them. Provorov & Hart are reportedly available.

The issue is that I'm not sure if a D like Muzzin or Brodie would interest Fletcher as a main piece coming back. They want a third D that is more experienced than Provorov.
    If they trade for Hart I’m going to revoke my 30 year fan membership!
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ninja

If i was toronto, id offer mrazek (and his contract) + sandin + one other piece for gibson.
    We don't need a young goalie. Our window is literally 2 more years. Gibson is meh.

I would gun for MAF on a short term contract. Better goalie and makes more sense financially.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    We don't need a young goalie. Our window is literally 2 more years. Gibson is meh.

I would gun for MAF on a short term contract. Better goalie and makes more sense financially.
    yah im iffy on gibson also but he may be the best way to move mrazek's contract

dubas will figure it out. it aint that easy getting a stud goalie
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Wizard

yah im iffy on gibson also but he may be the best way to move mrazek's contract

dubas will figure it out. it aint that easy getting a stud goalie

considering there is 5 of those in the league…I agree

Dobber Sports Master

if he's available they should certainly look into Gibson . Maybe he gets his juices flowing again playing for a contender

Dobber Sports Sage

The major questions/topics the Leafs have to answer:

1) Goalie; The Leafs need to either trade Mrazek or buy him out. Depending on the market, Campbell has answered some questions as to whether they can win with him in the playoffs. He wasn't the reason they lost to Toronto. I don't get the desire to trade for Gibson. He has been poor the last 3 seasons AND has 5 more seasons at 6.4. Are people really suggesting to give up assets and take on that whole contract? If you can get Campbell for 4 years at 4.5 M and then a competent, cheap backup, that would be a good solution.

2) Trading a core member: It really comes down to Nylander since you are not trading Matthews, Marner, or Tavares (NMC). Sure, if you can find an equally-valued abrasive top 6 forward or an all-around top 4 right-handed dman you make the trade but it is going to be a tricky trade. A speedy, enigmatic winger is not the kind of player a team looks to build around. It's a nice luxury to have but not something a teams pays top value for in terms of what Toronto needs. I'd be very surprised if Toronto can win a Nylander trade.

3) Dubas and Keefe: Dubas has done a very good job and should be retained. Keefe could be replaced just because you're looking for a different voice. I definitely don't think Keefe is the problem but if you're looking to make a change, that is a better option than trading Nylander.

4) The D Corp: The Leafs would be wise to move Muzzin and reallocate his cap hit. Too many miles and too many injuries. This might be the last good time to move him.
    And especially with Giordano signing for cheap. The Leafs also need Sandin or Liljegren to become a reliable top 4 dman and the other to fill the spot on the 3rd pairing.

5) Forward depth: The Leafs need to find another Bunting and Kase. 3 of the 4 Dubas cheap forward signings were great last season. Dubas needs to find a couple more.

Overall, it's not a sexy solution but the Leafs best chance for improvement is from within and from around the edges. Sandin and/or Liljegren becoming good players and finding some more bargain-basement contributors is the best path for improvement. And we're just taking about marginal gains which are needed. The Leafs easily could have beaten Tampa who just swept the President's Cup winning team even without one of their top forwards (Point).
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The major questions/topics the Leafs have to answer:

1) Goalie; The Leafs need to either trade Mrazek or buy him out. Depending on the market, Campbell has answered some questions as to whether they can win with him in the playoffs. He wasn't the reason they lost to Toronto. I don't get the desire to trade for Gibson. He has been poor the last 3 seasons AND has 5 more seasons at 6.4. Are people really suggesting to give up assets and take on that whole contract? If you can get Campbell for 4 years at 4.5 M and then a competent, cheap backup, that would be a good solution.

2) Trading a core member: It really comes down to Nylander since you are not trading Matthews, Marner, or Tavares (NMC). Sure, if you can find an equally-valued abrasive top 6 forward or an all-around top 4 right-handed dman you make the trade but it is going to be a tricky trade. A speedy, enigmatic winger is not the kind of player a team looks to build around. It's a nice luxury to have but not something a teams pays top value for in terms of what Toronto needs. I'd be very surprised if Toronto can win a Nylander trade.

3) Dubas and Keefe: Dubas has done a very good job and should be retained. Keefe could be replaced just because you're looking for a different voice. I definitely don't think Keefe is the problem but if you're looking to make a change, that is a better option than trading Nylander.

4) The D Corp: The Leafs would be wise to move Muzzin and reallocate his cap hit. Too many miles and too many injuries. This might be the last good time to move him.
    And especially with Giordano signing for cheap. The Leafs also need Sandin or Liljegren to become a reliable top 4 dman and the other to fill the spot on the 3rd pairing.

5) Forward depth: The Leafs need to find another Bunting and Kase. 3 of the 4 Dubas cheap forward signings were great last season. Dubas needs to find a couple more.

Overall, it's not a sexy solution but the Leafs best chance for improvement is from within and from around the edges. Sandin and/or Liljegren becoming good players and finding some more bargain-basement contributors is the best path for improvement. And we're just taking about marginal gains which are needed. The Leafs easily could have beaten Tampa who just swept the President's Cup winning team even without one of their top forwards (Point).
    i dont get the Kase love tbh. Obviously Bunting was great and so was Kempf but Kase did not impress me much. In general i agree they need to find another 2-3 of those guys. I think its time to let go of all the 4th line vets. With Giordano around, the leadership part maybe there already.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i dont get the Kase love tbh. Obviously Bunting was great and so was Kempf but Kase did not impress me much. In general i agree they need to find another 2-3 of those guys. I think its time to let go of all the 4th line vets. With Giordano around, the leadership part maybe there already.
    Kase is a top 9 forward that can play with the stars and for a little over 1 mil, it's a good, solid signing. Plus, if he was ever healthy for a season you can easily envision him being a 45-50 point player. But you're right- Bunting and Kampf were better signings and had a much bigger impact. I'm just lumping Kase in there.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe try getting what you don't have... you know, cup winning experience.

All the vets signing cheap deals are great in theory, but aside from Muzzin who brings cup hoisting experience to the roster?

Dobber Sports Master

A Mrazek buyout would be
    year 1 1.033 m
    year 2 833k
    year 3 1.433 m
    year 4 1.433 m