Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

Toronto was 4th in the league playing against the 8th team overall in the first round. Very unfortunate. They were the b2b champions? Doubly very unfortunate.

Definitely need to make some changes but more tweaks than sweeping changes.

1. Keep Shanahan, Dubas and Keefe
    2. Only Matthews, Marner, Tavares and probably Rielly are unlikely to be moved
    3. Personally I didnt understand why keeping Kerfoot in the expansion draft was so important. Hes not a 3C and hes not a reilable contributor as a wing on the scoring lines so hes not good allocation of cap space on this top heavy team. Expendable.
    4. Try your damn hardest to sign Gio to a Spezza-like deal
    5. Id still keep Spezza hes good depth.
    6. Likely cannot afford Mikheyev, let him go
    7. Lyubushkin is a plug, let him go
    8. Move Holl if you (likely) need the cap space, his 2m shouldnt be difficult to move.
    9. i would let campbell walk. I would also move mrazek if you can. make a trade for a good goalie.
    10. find a rock solid 3C.
    11. Auston was taken out of some games due to early penalty trouble. May need to consider him to PK given his takeaway skills and faceoff prowess
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Everyone is hung up on who they're playing. "Defending champs, Boston, etc. etc. etc."

Let's get back to reality where you know you have to beat good teams to win the cup. If you don't get Tampa or Boston in the first round, you're playing them in the second. Will a first round win quiet the chatter? Is that all you're striving for anymore?

The facts are; They aren't good enough defensively. Their goalies can't make the timely saves to keep them in games. Their stars aren't consistent enough.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I suspect a first round win would quiet the chatter some, and give the team more confidence. Would that lead to an even deeper run? Myabe, maybe not, but it'd be a win of a round, which would not hurt at all.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Everyone is hung up on who they're playing. "Defending champs, Boston, etc. etc. etc."

Let's get back to reality where you know you have to beat good teams to win the cup. If you don't get Tampa or Boston in the first round, you're playing them in the second. Will a first round win quiet the chatter? Is that all you're striving for anymore?

The facts are; They aren't good enough defensively. Their goalies can't make the timely saves to keep them in games. Their stars aren't consistent enough.
    Going on 19 years, yes at this point a first round win is the goal...that's gotta happen before they can go deeper....so yesss

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    had my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle
    Didn’t realize English was a second language for you.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Just how exactly do you think Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, hell even Chicago was built lol
    With excellent defense and money goalies. Every team you listed had Norris quality (if not winning) dmen in their lineup and Vezina winning goalies. We'll, Chicago was a bit of a different breed with their goalies but Holtby, Fleury and Vasilevskiy had all won a Vezina trophy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    With excellent defense and money goalies. Every team you listed had Norris quality (if not winning) dmen in their lineup and Vezina winning goalies. We'll, Chicago was a bit of a different breed with their goalies but Holtby, Fleury and Vasilevskiy had all won a Vezina trophy.
    Lmao.

Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa being built on defence. The comedy.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lmao.

Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa being built on defence. The comedy.
    You're comedy.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You're comedy.
    Good one, you slayed me.

Matt Murray has not won a Vezina. Ron Hainsey was Pittsburgh's #1 D in 2017, and Kris Letang has never won a Norris. Pittsburgh built through D and goaltending lol, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time and I see you talk about the Oilers every day.

Dobber Sports Titan

Toronto doesn't have the ability to create space they need if there isn't a regular season rulebook being used. I've beat this drum for 2 yrs now, and if the rulebook is actually called, this group can win the cup. If you get games like 6 and 7, they won't win. You can argue the PP efficiency isn't good enough, but the 5on5 play is what I'm arguing. If you call penalties, the 5on5 play opens up, and that is what the Leafs do so well.

As for what they do?
    - Let most of the UFAs go if they aren't willing to take big discounts. Sorry Mikheyev, Spezza, Blackwell, Gio and Lybushkin. But there isn't space for you unless you are taking big discounts
    - Figure out what to do with Mrazek. This is huge.
    - Liljegren and Sandin are ready for full season time. Rielly/Lilj, Muzzin/Brodie, Sandin/Holl (I wish this gets upgraded tho).
    - Sandin gets PP1 duty. Rielly I love you, but the PP grinds to a hault when the puck gets to you. Until you figure out onetimers, one touch passes and a slap shot, you are no threat other than passing to Matthews. There's a reason why Kucherov, Stamkos, Ovi, and other top shooting PP players have space and Matthews doesn't on a PP.
    - IF you tested Robertson more this yr, I think you can open up the idea of moving Nylander more, but right now it's only move him if the deal is right. Unlike the Kadri trade where it was more of a "you're getting moved, we can't use you" idea. People who say to trade Nylander are also the same people who say "we shouldn't have traded Kadri".
    - Explore Kerfoot, Engvall, Muzzin market. Sandin needs more minutes to me, and having a LHD of Rielly, Sandin, Muzzin isn't how I would want to spend 5.625m on the 3rd pair. Kerfoot is not great enough for the positions asked to play. It's hard because you use his versatility, but it's just so underwhelming at times.
    - Essentially, don't over compensate. Don't shut doors on moves, but don't make a move to make a move.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Good one, you slayed me.

Matt Murray has not won a Vezina. Ron Hainsey was Pittsburgh's #1 D in 2017, and Kris Letang has never won a Norris. Pittsburgh built through D and goaltending lol, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time and I see you talk about the Oilers every day.
    If you dont think Marc Andre Fleury was a Vezina calibre goalie and Kris Letang wasn't a Norris quality Dman when Pittsburgh was winning their three Stanley Cups, you weren't watching the same games I was watching at that time. And yes, Murray hasnt won a Vezina, but MAF was there hoisting the Cup with him if Murray dropped the ball (which clearly he didn't). Dont argue the fact that the best teams are built from the back to front when it comes to winning Stanley Cups in todays game. This isn't the 80s anymore.

Getting back to Toronto, I still say their issue is the fact their defense (be it the players or the system or both) isn't good enough, and hasn't been since they started their big "rebuild" a few years ago. Until they make the right adjustments to fix that issue, they will continue to be a lackluster playoff team.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bah I got confused and posted in the other thread - but I'd also favor letting Campbell walk and going after MAF.

I like Soupie don't get me wrong, but I'm not convinced he's the kind of goalie you can ride deep into the playoffs (and that's the goal here).

Beyond his skill and resume, MAF can help change the mentality in that locker room.

The Great One

It’s like Belexus arguing the Panthers are built for the regular season and not the playoffs. What the **** does that even mean? Teams aren’t built from front to back or back to front. These GMs assemble the best group of players they can. Some GMs may feel some position is more important than another. And this is a copycat league. Skill is king these days at all positions. The coach is responsible for taking the players he is given and implementing a system that best utilizes his players. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. There’s health, there’s luck, there’s officiating. A lot that is out of the control of the team. How the hell did the Habs make it to the finals last season? That team wasn’t built with any real plan. Yet there they were. Luck? Price? A little of both. Whatever. The Stanley Cup is far and away the hardest trophy to win in sports. There have been so many ways that teams have ended up there that to argue it’s one way or another is just a pissing contest and one with no way prove an outcome.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    This might not be a popular opinion but what do you think about giving the captaincy to AM? The guy has clearly done everything you can ask from a leader. I don’t think he and Marner were the problems of this team. Sometimes your identity of the team reflects on your captain. Maybe he’s not the guy to lead this team anymore, I realize he won’t be dealt but would you strip (maybe too strong of a word) of the captaincy? Or does that “C” really mean anything. I just think this team takes on too much of his personality, quiet and not overly tough. I dunno.
    That's a non-factor, and Rielly is the right guy to carry the C on this team anyway.