Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

I wanted to make a thread separate of the series thread because I am sure this will be a major hot topic. So putting emotion aside in this topic and using smarts, logic, and gut feelings and or also being team owner, and GM for a moment in your shoes, what do the Leafs need to do this summer?

They took the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions to a Game 7 and ALMOST won, but almost does not count. But if the Leafs win that Game 7 I am sure no one would be mentioning moves..sooooo

They are still a very very good team but lack closer mentality....

1) Fire Dubas?
    2) Fire Dubas and Shanny?
    3) Fire Keefe? Bring in Trotz? et al.
    4) Major trade?? Nylander?? Marner?
    5) Is Campbell the goalie long-term?
    6) Do nothing, but perhaps just sprinkle in smaller changes?

Have your say....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Where does Toronto go from here? Stand pat or make moves?

I just hope they keep doing this every year. There’s no higher comedy.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nylander for D...

Hell I wouldn't mind trading some draft picks for D while we're at it. Window is closing fast.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Too early to say but I’d seriously look at improving that 2nd line W. JT isn’t going anywhere so either put Bunting there full time or get him a guy who makes room out there for JT. Never was a fan of Kerfoot.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Too early to say but I’d seriously look at improving that 2nd line W. JT isn’t going anywhere so either put Bunting there full time or get him a guy who makes room out there for JT. Never was a fan of Kerfoot.
    And people laughed at me at the deadline when I said forward depth was an issue.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    JT is a depreciating asset, I wouldn't give up anything considerable to bolster his performance, there isn't much fuel left in that tank.

I didn't mind Kerfoot all year, thought he was serviceable... up until Game 6 and now he's dead to me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The team is very good, but the media lovefest makes them unsupportable for people not from Toronto.

Anyway, to the question at hand.
    Tavares's contract is killing them. As he's got a NMC, Toronto will always have trouble winning in the playoffs with their top guys taking up too much of the cap. Matthews and Marner won't be traded. They will probably trade Nylander for a Dman, but he's not the problem. I don't think Campbell will be back as he deserves a raise and the Leafs need to shed salary. So Mrazek is in net with a cheap backup next year. They should trade Brodie or Muzzin too. They have veteran leadership now, but need to find deals on their D, not pay market value.

I think Trotz will go to Toronto or Edmonton but I felt the coaching was actually okay.

No easy solutions, and I don't think there will be an overhaul this season.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Monster

Mrazek needs to be bought out.

Soup needs a contract. I believe he's showed he's worthy of a new deal with the Leafs as the the #1G

$10 Million in cap money between Brodie and Muzzin is too much and Rielly's cap goes up this year cause of his extention.

I make ONE major move. I move Nylander as he has a decent cap cost and acquire a D....I am looking at YOU Jakob Chychrum.

Bold prediction:: Trotz to Toronto and Keefe will go to Detroit.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    And people laughed at me at the deadline when I said forward depth was an issue.
    2nd line winger isn't exactly a forward depth but that position is definitely an issue.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    2nd line winger isn't exactly a forward depth but that position is definitely an issue.
    A better second line winger also gives you a better third line winger and a better fourth line winger and a better spare winger.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I was on the Nick Ritchie bandwagon early on and thought he would have stayed on the 1st or 2nd line W. He was too slow for either line so out he went.

I thought Keefe was good, Campbell had a very good playoff round. Reilly has to be kept, Mrazek can’t be the starter, he isn’t reliable to stay healthy enough to play. Kerfoot could be expendable and one of Muzzin or Brodie might have to go. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas is gone or even Shanahan is gone. Tough decisions ahead.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

Keefe did a good job this year. The coaching is fine.

They need to shore up the D.

Don't think they'll be able to afford Campbell on a new contract so that may create another hole...

Dobber Sports Genius

The only thing that would give me any confidence in Toronto again is Trotz. If they get him I'm going to Vegas right now to bet on them next year. Anything short of that, this team will continue to disappoint.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I wanted to make a thread separate of the series thread because I am sure this will be a major hot topic. So putting emotion aside in this topic and using smarts, logic, and gut feelings and or also being team owner, and GM for a moment in your shoes, what do the Leafs need to do this summer?

They took the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions to a Game 7 and ALMOST won, but almost does not count. But if the Leafs win that Game 7 I am sure no one would be mentioning moves..sooooo

They are still a very very good team but lack closer mentality....

1) Fire Dubas?
    2) Fire Dubas and Shanny?
    3) Fire Keefe? Bring in Trotz? et al.
    4) Major trade?? Nylander?? Marner?
    5) Is Campbell the goalie long-term?
    6) Do nothing, but perhaps just sprinkle in smaller changes?

Have your say....
    1. I would. Dubas has had the reigns for long enough and has failed in my opinion. Has some very nice pieces in place but time is running out and he dropped the ball imo. Paid too much for Gio and never made a trade to get a core D-man. Not an aging veteran, someone you can help build around. Trade Nylander for a solid D for example. Signed Matthews to a bad contract I believe, has 2 years left and could potentially walk if he doesn't like his situation. Should have been a 7 year deal if possible.
    2. Yes
    3. Id hire Tortz over Keefe.
    4. Nylander or Marner for a comparable D-man. Dubas should have done this but for whatever reason he is hesitant on moving them. I get it, huge assets but you can't wait around forever. Make a solid move and go from there. If possible, I would move Tavares if you are going to keep Nylander and Marner. I really don't see him aging that well.
    5. He is a good goalie in my view. Possibly the goalie of the future but if you could improve on him, that would be great.
    6. I'd make changes. Although, if any of you have been in leagues with me, you'd know I am quick to make a move .

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    I think Trotz will go to Toronto or Edmonton but I felt the coaching was actually okay.
    Trotz is a great coach but doesn't fit well in Edmonton. Also, with the way Edmonton has played recently, I expect them to remove "interim" tag from Woodcroft and Manson.

Rylant