Thread: P Kane or Chabot?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default P Kane or Chabot?

I was offered this yesterday and still dwelling on it. I could use the help on defense. I worry about Chabot in the long run with Sanderson but he looked really good before he got hurt. There is also a huge age difference.

Kane (33) - 78 GP, 663 FP, 8.5 FP/G

Chabot (25) - 59 GP, 424.6 FP, 7.2 FP/G

Kane has been unreal for me the past few seasons, but I think I have enough fire power on offense to be okay with moving him. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: P Kane or Chabot?

For me you've basically answered your own question: you have enough firepower without Kane. Your team will probably be a tad weaker short term, but those 7 years age difference and Chabot's talent, situation, team outlook, etc. are easily good enough for me to make this long term investment now (before Kane slows down and loses value quickly).
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Deity

Let's be honest, if Kane was 3+ years younger, you probably wouldn't even entertain this. I like Chabot, but you're selling Kane short here because of the age factor. Guys like PKane, I'll call him an upper echelon player, age better than middling players. The decline isn't as steep or sharp.

I would want more than Chabot for PKane myself. If you can't get a better offer for PKane, I'd keep him. The other GM clearly sees the player he's getting for another 2-3 years before the decline starts.

I can't see your roster so I really have no idea what your team strengths and weaknesses are.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

To truly evaluate this trade proposal for you we need more information. You say you have firepower to replace Kane but I think the forum would like to have an opportunity to also make thawt determination. As Axe has said, you are giving up a lot to acauire Chabot. If you have the resources to do that, fine, but let's have a look? BTW, I wouldn't worry about Sanderson coming in and impacting Chabot in any significant way any time soon.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    To truly evaluate this trade proposal for you we need more information. You say you have firepower to replace Kane but I think the forum would like to have an opportunity to also make thawt determination. As Axe has said, you are giving up a lot to acauire Chabot. If you have the resources to do that, fine, but let's have a look? BTW, I wouldn't worry about Sanderson coming in and impacting Chabot in any significant way any time soon.
    Sorry I have no clue why my signature isn’t showing up.

Full Dynasty h2h points - 9 Teams - F/D/G

Skater - G/5, A/4, PPP/1, SOG/.7, H/.5, BL/.5 ———— (+.5 for D)

Goalie - W/5, L/-2, SV/.35, SO/4, GA/-.5

F - Kuch, Pasta, Kaprizov, Aho, Svech, Robertson, Point, J Hughes, Pettersson, P Kane, Konecny, Norris, Stutzle, Kuznetsov, Dach, Boldy, Panarin, DeBrusk, Dube, Roslovic, Necas,

D - Makar, Chychrun, Letang, Boqvist, Skjei, Risto, Fehervary, Gudas, Andersson

G - Hellebuyck, Lehner, Kuemper, Swayman

Minors - Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti, Jarvis, Pelletier, Podkolzin, Bordeleau, Addison, Merkley, Niemela, K. Miller, Hague, Norlinder, Tarasov, Levi, Annunen, Wolf, L. Thompson, Kochetkov, Ingram

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have both Kane and Chabot on my roster and am facing a similar challenge.

Kane scored at a 96pt pace this year, which gives him a pt/gm pace in 9 out of his last 10 seasons. Elite stuff. I also have what I believe are 17 "keeper quality" players, and only 15 slots available. My challenge with Kane is that despite his scoring, he's fairly weak in peripherals and will likely be weak in terms of +/- for the foreseeable future. And while I don't expect his game to fall off a cliff, it's hard to ignore the inevitable impacts of Father Time. So there are certainly arguments for me to move on. But at his age, it's generally difficult to find a fair market trade for him. And in no situation will I drop him in the off-season.

So I think we are in somewhat similar situations. I will likely shop Kane to see if a fair deal emerges, but am comfortable with the fact that I may simply hold onto him and enjoy the ride, however long as it lasts. While I like Chabot and believe his potential is high, I think he still has to prove that he is a top-tier defenseman in the league. I think he will get there as Ottawa improves, but until that time, he is somewhat limited by his surroundings. I would be open to moving Kane if I were you, but I am not sure Chabot is enough of a return to make that trade happen. I would look for a sweetener, explore other options, or ultimately just stand pat with what you have.
    12 Teams, 23 Players (max 3 goalies), H2H, Keep 15 (max 2 goalies)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 1U, 4D, 2G, 8 Bench, 2 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    C - Matthews, Eichel, Hughes (LW), Pettersson
    LW - Kaprizov, Svechnikov (RW), Guentzel, Fiala, Keller (RW)
    RW - Marner, Meier (LW), Laine(C/LW), Jarvis (C)
    D - Dahlin​, Sergachev, Theodore, Klingberg, Werenski, Peeke, Cernak
    G - Shesterkin, Sorokin, Merzlikins
    IR - Pacioretty, Ristolainen

2023 Draft Picks: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

**2021/22 League Champion**

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well there is no doubt you have a wealth of forwards that would make Kane expendable if the right deal came along. I'm not to comfortable suggesting this is absolutely the right deal. I'm looking at your scoring cats and unless I am wrong, this league seems to be all about goal scoring and assists. All other cats are minimally weighted. Accordingly, Kane has major value now and for the next few years in your league. Chabot, well, not so much IMO. You do need help on D but if I'm moving Kane I am ideally looking for a defensemen with equivalent offensive capability as Kane and I'm not at all sure Chabot fits the bill unless the other guy is sweetening the deal. Chabot is an improvement on a number of your defensemen for sure but as the deal stands, you are paying a premium price to upgrade on the likes of Skjei, Risto, Fehervary and Gudas. Summarized, this is not a really bad deal for you, you improve your D which you need to do and losing Kane is not a major hit to your forwards, but I honestly think you can do better.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Genius

Sometimes the best deal is the one you that improves you in spite of "losing the deal". I hear people always say around these parts, get a better player etc... Sometimes that's not an option. If you can't make a better deal for anyone else than I still make this. You defiantly need to update your D and in a full dynasty Chabot should return value for years.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by flyers94 View Post
    I was offered this yesterday and still dwelling on it. I could use the help on defense. I worry about Chabot in the long run with Sanderson but he looked really good before he got hurt. There is also a huge age difference.

Kane (33) - 78 GP, 663 FP, 8.5 FP/G

Chabot (25) - 59 GP, 424.6 FP, 7.2 FP/G

Kane has been unreal for me the past few seasons, but I think I have enough fire power on offense to be okay with moving him. Thoughts?
    without knowing the said "firepower" i'd always tend to go to the younger elite option here - chabot is a mainstay on an improving team, sanderson will need time to adjust to the nhl regardless, and won't get the same ice time. go for chabot here...
    15-Team keep 6f, 3d, 1g pts-only, wins=2, SO=3, OTL=1
    F: Robertson, Thompson, DeBrincat, McCann, Tomasino, Chytil, Brink, Carlsson, Berggren, Guenther
    D: Morrissey, Montour, Jiricek, Perbix, LaCombe, Perunovich
    G: Talbot, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Kochetkov, Copley