Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Elon Musk officially buys Twitter!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Elon Musk officially buys Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I never said I was mad at them, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea. Open Twitter. Turn on almost any media outlet. Check your Facebook.

Celebrities, politicians, athletes, "influencers", "TV personalities", Biden administration, the list goes on.
    So, nobody specific? You called them "egomaniancs" and "unreliable losers", but I have no idea who you're talking about and it seems like maybe you don't either.

Dobber Sports Deity

If there's a good things about Twitter, as any other social media site, you can simply block those who you don't want to see or believe.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    So, nobody specific? You called them "egomaniancs" and "unreliable losers", but I have no idea who you're talking about and it seems like maybe you don't either.
    Ok.

Dobber Sports Genius

The problem is who gets to decide what "misinformation" is? There was a time when the concept of a spherical earth was widely considered to be misinformation, as one example of where that approach would lead us astray.
    Exactly. Thank you for giving my point of view a chance. I have been wrong recently with what might of been considered misinformation but I'm not afraid to admit it.

I created a whole recent thread here on Dobber about how I thought the truckers getting fired for not getting vaccinated would cause shortages on shelves. Despite me taking past experience, the crazy hording at the beginning of the pandemic, real life experience, I work in manufacturing supply chain and even articles written about it, the shortages never happened to the extent I envisioned. Guess what next time, a situation like this occurs I won't react as much. Also next time I read articles that supported my argument, I will be more critical of the source. Nothing wrong with learning from bad information or mistakes.

I can see the argument that could be made that some people just double down on the miss information or even act upon it such as the capital riots. However I will take the few and far between situations like that occurring over someone else having the ability to filter out what they feel is miss information.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Titan

Another facet is how Twitter will handle free speech in different countries and how it's used there.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Exactly. Thank you for giving my point of view a chance. I have been wrong recently with what might of been considered misinformation but I'm not afraid to admit it.

I created a whole recent thread here on Dobber about how I thought the truckers getting fired for not getting vaccinated would cause shortages on shelves. Despite me taking past experience, the crazy hording at the beginning of the pandemic, real life experience, I work in manufacturing supply chain and even articles written about it, the shortages never happened to the extent I envisioned. Guess what next time, a situation like this occurs I won't react as much. Also next time I read articles that supported my argument, I will be more critical of the source. Nothing wrong with learning from bad information or mistakes.

I can see the argument that could be made that some people just double down on the miss information or even act upon it such as the capital riots. However I will take the few and far between situations like that occurring over someone else having the ability to filter out what they feel is miss information.
    Absolutely we would ideally let people make decisions for themselves but I think the problem is as a country (Canada but any country) we're only as smart as the dumbest people. It's a law to stop at a stop sign because a few people can't be trusted to do it on their own. Murder and theft are crimes under law because some people would do those things without a deterrent. We had a vaccine mandate because not enough people were choosing to get it on their own.

We literally cannot trust that a person who is presented with information will be able to discern what is right or wrong and more importantly accept the correct information. If we could, Fox news would not be a station, Tucker Carlson would be a nobody. Twitter facilitates the spread of all kinds of information both right and wrong it's true but privatization means deregulation. I agree with your earlier point that "regulation" wasn't good enough in the first place but it's certainly going to be a lot worse now.
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Star

The problem is who gets to decide what "misinformation" is? There was a time when the concept of a spherical earth was widely considered to be misinformation, as one example of where that approach would lead us astray.
    You're right, it is a difficult thing to do these days. We as a society have to make the decision as to which is the lesser evil.

Dobber Sports Sage

The Earth is definitely flat so...
    Easily proven.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Another facet is how Twitter will handle free speech in different countries and how it's used there.
    The entire concept of the First Amendment and Freedom of Speech is pretty widely misunderstood. A lot of people think it means you have the freedom to say whatever you want on any platform without consequence. That's not what "Freedom of Speech" is. It means you can't go to jail for saying something and even then, there are limits. Censorship on what will become a private company's platform, is not an infringement on "Freedom of Speech".

Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

The inconsistencies and biases on what's being censored/cancelled are the issue.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    The entire concept of the First Amendment and Freedom of Speech is pretty widely misunderstood. A lot of people think it means you have the freedom to say whatever you want on any platform without consequence. That's not what "Freedom of Speech" is. It means you can't go to jail for saying something and even then, there are limits. Censorship on what will become a private company's platform, is not an infringement on "Freedom of Speech".

Rylant
    He's vowed to allow "free speech" so it's more what he'll allow on his platform vs in a country where it's illegal to acknowledge an LGBTQ+ lifestyle. I don't give a crap what North America tweets, we have it so easy with that. It's what other countries are allowing to be said publicly that is going to be interesting.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    The Earth is definitely flat so...
    Easily proven.
    I'm sure a few members here do actually believe that!

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm sure a few members here do actually believe that!
    Social distancing has likely pushed them over the edge by now...
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    He's vowed to allow "free speech" so it's more what he'll allow on his platform vs in a country where it's illegal to acknowledge an LGBTQ+ lifestyle. I don't give a crap what North America tweets, we have it so easy with that. It's what other countries are allowing to be said publicly that is going to be interesting.
    Ya no question. For me, it's not a black and white thing. If Facebook wants to remove articles posted titled "how to build a bomb with simple household items" or "how to get your girlfriend to accept your physical abuse in 4 steps", I get it. There are people who will claim "censorship" in these cases but I am ok with it. When Facebook removes articles and posts which paint them in a negative light, it appears self-serving rather than stopping misinformation.

I am definitely interested in seeing where this goes. No question, Musk purchasing Twitter is huge. He is a smart man and I imagine all of his motives are not completely clear right now. I promise, this is much more than just a case of a rich guy wanting a new toy.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Initiate

Mr. Musk has stated he wants to buy Coca Cola and put cocaine back in their product.

i can get behind that idea