Thread: Will Petr Mrázek be worth anything next season?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Will Petr Mrázek be worth anything next season?

He's younger than I thought, only 30

He's performed at a high level before, but how much of that was a stellar D in front of him?

I think it's doubtful he's still in Toronto next season.

What are the odds he lands somewhere nice next season and rehabs his value?
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Will Petr Mrázek be worth anything next season?

It's a diceroll I'd be willing to take for the right price. Even if he goes to a worse team, he might do better in a different system or just getting a fresh start. Just hasn't worked in Toronto for some reason, but he's not this bad.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    It's a diceroll I'd be willing to take for the right price. Even if he goes to a worse team, he might do better in a different system or just getting a fresh start. Just hasn't worked in Toronto for some reason, but he's not this bad.
    Agreed. We know goalies are weird and he'll probably bounce back. Very good buy-low candidate IMO.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Mrazek is now in his 9th NHL season with his 4th team at the age of 30. I think we have a pretty good sample size here. He has had fairly good years and he has had very bad years. At this point, considering him a starting NHL goalie, and a decent one at that, is a bit of a stretch. He's a back up IMO and how he fairs in that role is a crap shoot. In the right environment he could have a decent year here and there as a back up, but I have little faith in that happening. The only good thing I can say is most NHL goalies are weird and bed shitters and will ruin your season, so Mrazek is in good company there I guess. There is a chance he revitalizes his career somewhere else, but I'm not betting too heavy on that.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Problem with Mrazek is and has always been the ability to stay healthy. I was surprised when leafs signed him to play shared duty with Campbell for that very reason of injury risk. I have a feeling he won't be back with the Leafs during the off season, whether trade or buyout to make space for Campbell's new contract and a veteran backup.

He does have the skill set to bounce back but his lack of consistency is concerning.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I've had him on rosters since his Detroit days. He would've been fine if they had left him the starter, I feel, but they ended up not wanting him, and going through some lesser goalies.

He's got 2 issues. Staying healthy, and being on a team with a decent system he knows. If he gets both of those, he's a quality tandem goalie. If he gets only one, he's not so useful.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

doubtful, he can't stay healthy and even when he does he's not always good

Dobber Sports Master

He stood on his head when the islanders played the canes a few years ago in the 2019 playoffs . Even back then he had the reputation of tweaking his groin and missing chunks of the season.

I predicted Halak could carve a niche as a 1b for several seasons post islander days and I think Mrazek can do the same .

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Halak was always far more consistent though and by the time he was 30 already had a pair of top 10 Vezina finishes to his name.

if Mrazek stays healthy he might have a decent career but that's not as likely as Halak was.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm not sure where you think he's playing next year if it's not Toronto. He's got two years left at $3.8M per. Unless Toronto plans on eating salary and can find a buyer, he's not going anywhere. The problem is there's usually a lot of goalie options for teams looking so it's not like it's a sellers market.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm not sure where you think he's playing next year if it's not Toronto. He's got two years left at $3.8M per. Unless Toronto plans on eating salary and can find a buyer, he's not going anywhere. The problem is there's usually a lot of goalie options for teams looking so it's not like it's a sellers market.
    I could see a team like Chicago take him with a significant sweetener and/or retention.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I could see a team like Chicago take him with a significant sweetener and/or retention.
    In addition to Chicago there was some chatter around the deadline that Buffalo looked at mrazek to see what Toronto might give them as a plus. We'll see what happens!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

Let's just say I'm not optimistic that Toronto is going to find a taker but anything is possible I suppose. I just don't see it happening but no one owns a crystal ball.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."