Thread: Bratt or Vrana?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Bratt or Vrana?

Hello everyone, team and league information is in my signature. Heading into the offseason, I have most of my roster set, with trades possibly switching some things up but the main core is mainly set. One big keeper decision I'm considering is Bratt or Vrana... mainly due to the fact that I don't have the cap room to fit both in as of now.

I have just over 13.6 million in cap space in the offseason to fit Bratt, Oettinger and Romanov's extensions, so adding Vrana's 5.25 M to eat into that cap space probably won't be feasible unless I figure out a way to offload Quick.

Is this a clear Bratt win considering the season he's had? Or am I correct in thinking that it's a bit harder than that, and that Vrana may be, the correct choice here? This is assuming I cannot clear the necessary cap space to keep both, because ideally, i'd love to keep both of them. Thanks for the responses in advance and I will rep where I can.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Bratt or Vrana?

This is defintiely a tough call...I don't think it's so clear cut. While Bratt's had a great year, Vrana was pretty good last year and in a small sample size this season, he's almost point per game. He should only get better as Detroit does, but the problem is his icetime right now is hamstrung by that blockhead Blashill. Until he's gone I don't think Detroit is going anywhere unfortunately. This is a really tough call, I'm biased towards Vrana since I won him but it almost seems like a coin toss to me.
    20-team dynasty cats League, Daily sets
    25 keepers, 2 rookies
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP,GWG, FOW, Hits, BLKS, SOG, Goalie starts,GAA,SV%,SVS,W,

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

D: Dunn, Moser, Matheson, Mintyukov

G: Binnington, Fleury, Forsberg, Dostal, Rittich
    NA: Sogaard, Denisenko, Annunen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah it's a tough one. Keep in mind that Bratt is due a new contract at the end of the season so it's tough to do a comparable without knowing what his new contract will be. There were rumblings that he would be traded but I think that's bluster from the team, as he's developed great chemistry with Hughes. Honestly I'd drop Quick and keep both Vrana and Bratt. You can roll with two goalies, draft a third and don't need to keep all three IMO
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Yeah it's a tough one. Keep in mind that Bratt is due a new contract at the end of the season so it's tough to do a comparable without knowing what his new contract will be. There were rumblings that he would be traded but I think that's bluster from the team, as he's developed great chemistry with Hughes. Honestly I'd drop Quick and keep both Vrana and Bratt. You can roll with two goalies, draft a third and don't need to keep all three IMO
    I definitely agree with you, but as my signature states, anyone at or over 5.4 M AAV cannot be dropped freely... We get one amnesty buyout per offseason but I am using mine on Price already, hence why I didn't list him on my roster. Ideally I can use my own 1st to get rid of Quick's contract and keep both but that remains to be seen. Since I feel like my roster is very close to competing.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stefan17 View Post
    This is defintiely a tough call...I don't think it's so clear cut. While Bratt's had a great year, Vrana was pretty good last year and in a small sample size this season, he's almost point per game. He should only get better as Detroit does, but the problem is his icetime right now is hamstrung by that blockhead Blashill. Until he's gone I don't think Detroit is going anywhere unfortunately. This is a really tough call, I'm biased towards Vrana since I won him but it almost seems like a coin toss to me.
    For sure, I like both a ton and Vrana's icetime is frustrating based on his production even with that. It is a tough decision for sure ugh.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yeah, you need to figure out what Bratt's new contract will look like.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ah missed that, sorry.

Well if you can't get rid of Quick and it's a true choice between the two, I'd lean towards keeping Bratt over Vrana. But you need to know the new contract before deciding. If he gets a whopper of a deal it'll change things for you.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Superstar

When do you need to get this sorted out? The time line here is critical given the unknown with Bratt's new contract.

You said it up front though, the ideal solution here is to get rid of Quick's contract and keep both Bratt and Vrana. "I can use my own 1st to get rid of Quick's contract and keep both but that remains to be seen". So, what's this actually mean, it's a bit confusing? Unless the cost of unloading Quick is totally unacceptable, I'm going down that road.

If you can't lose Quicks' Cap hit, and the choice comes down to Vrana and Bratt, well, we still have a problem because we don't know what Bratt will sign for. With Vrana we do know. I doubt Bratt's there with Hughes and Hischier's contract, but who knows, the Devils have lots of cap room and very few guys to sign this off season so anything is possible and Bratt has had a hell of a year, you could argue he has earned a fat raise. I honestly don't think we will see a significant difference with Bratt and Vrana's production so the better contract wins. Again, I'm doing what I can to keep both.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Yeah, you need to figure out what Bratt's new contract will look like.
    Sounds good, I'm thinking his ceiling would be 7M long term, as Hischier makes 7.25 and I think NJ's probably going to use that to try and lock up Bratt for under that. I would give rep, but it won't let me because I need to "spread it around" but I appreciate your insight!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Ah missed that, sorry.

Well if you can't get rid of Quick and it's a true choice between the two, I'd lean towards keeping Bratt over Vrana. But you need to know the new contract before deciding. If he gets a whopper of a deal it'll change things for you.
    For sure, I have until the fall pretty much until my league's declarations so I have time. But I want to try and get this sorted out asap, and getting Quick's contract off my books would be the easiest path to keeping both.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    When do you need to get this sorted out? The time line here is critical given the unknown with Bratt's new contract.

You said it up front though, the ideal solution here is to get rid of Quick's contract and keep both Bratt and Vrana. "I can use my own 1st to get rid of Quick's contract and keep both but that remains to be seen". So, what's this actually mean, it's a bit confusing? Unless the cost of unloading Quick is totally unacceptable, I'm going down that road.

If you can't lose Quicks' Cap hit, and the choice comes down to Vrana and Bratt, well, we still have a problem because we don't know what Bratt will sign for. With Vrana we do know. I doubt Bratt's there with Hughes and Hischier's contract, but who knows, the Devils have lots of cap room and very few guys to sign this off season so anything is possible and Bratt has had a hell of a year, you could argue he has earned a fat raise. I honestly don't think we will see a significant difference with Bratt and Vrana's production so the better contract wins. Again, I'm doing what I can to keep both.
    I have until the fall so plenty of time. I want to get rid of Quick's contract, but the big issue if there will be takers with the sweeteners I'm willing to give up. My 1st rounder is definitely something I'm going to include but not sure what else I need to add, or what else I should be comfortable adding for a team to take Quick's contract which only has one more season.

For sure, Bratt deserves a sizeable raise but if I can pretty much swap out Quick for Vrana on my declarations, I should be able to fit both in along with Oettinger and Romanov's raises. Like you said, ideally keeping both would be awesome but if Bratt signs for significantly more than Vrana's 5.25 M, and if I somehow cannot offload Quick due to a lack of takers/interest in my sweeteners, then that could swing it in Vrana's favour. Either way, the first option is to of course keep both as I personally also like both a lot.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawee View Post
    I have until the fall so plenty of time. I want to get rid of Quick's contract, but the big issue if there will be takers with the sweeteners I'm willing to give up. My 1st rounder is definitely something I'm going to include but not sure what else I need to add, or what else I should be comfortable adding for a team to take Quick's contract which only has one more season.

For sure, Bratt deserves a sizeable raise but if I can pretty much swap out Quick for Vrana on my declarations, I should be able to fit both in along with Oettinger and Romanov's raises. Like you said, ideally keeping both would be awesome but if Bratt signs for significantly more than Vrana's 5.25 M, and if I somehow cannot offload Quick due to a lack of takers/interest in my sweeteners, then that could swing it in Vrana's favour. Either way, the first option is to of course keep both as I personally also like both a lot.
    I think you have a pretty good handle on this. Making it happen is not likely going to be easy. I know if I was taking on Quick's contract I'd want some serious sweetener to push me over the top. Still, that's your best option so work the hell out of it and see if you can find a taker for a reasonable price. Bratt's contract is something you just can't control so I'd position myself to have room for both him and Vrana in the event that the contract is something you can take on. Honestly, that's about all you can do IMO.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think you have a pretty good handle on this. Making it happen is not likely going to be easy. I know if I was taking on Quick's contract I'd want some serious sweetener to push me over the top. Still, that's your best option so work the hell out of it and see if you can find a taker for a reasonable price. Bratt's contract is something you just can't control so I'd position myself to have room for both him and Vrana in the event that the contract is something you can take on. Honestly, that's about all you can do IMO.
    Sounds good, thank you so much for your insight Bubba! And yes, I will do my best to get a bloated contract like Quick or even a Morrissey off my books so I can keep both Bratt and Vrana.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If Bratt becomes a somewhat too expensive contract, you might be able to move him for something that fits your cap constraints better without adding to move him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Salary Cap League Ass Pain! I just hope Bratt signs in time for you to know where you stand. I don't know how many times I've been caught waiting for a contract to get finalized only to have to make a roll the dice decision because the player remains unsigned past the League's drop deadline. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    If Bratt becomes a somewhat too expensive contract, you might be able to move him for something that fits your cap constraints better without adding to move him.
    For sure, I'll just have to be patient and see what he signs for before I make that decision!

- - - Updated - - -

Salary Cap League Ass Pain! I just hope Bratt signs in time for you to know where you stand. I don't know how many times I've been caught waiting for a contract to get finalized only to have to make a roll the dice decision because the player remains unsigned past the League's drop deadline. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    Same, I hope so as well... so frustrating to wait for a contract decision ahhhhh
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team: