Thread: Prospect Top 200 List Joy - Owning Top 5! Bonus: Zegras Question...

Dobber Sports Pro

Cool Prospect Top 200 List Joy - Owning Top 5! Bonus: Zegras Question...

This is mostly just a pleasant-surprise post. I opened up today's new monthly Top 200 Prospects list and was pumped to see that with all the "graduations" from the list, the top 5 was the same 5 as my minors from the bottom team on my sig! Gotta love it - looking forward to watching them grow over the next bunch of years.

It does confirm that I've got a tough decision to make, though. I've got Zegras on my main team right now, but I've got the ability to make him a minor (as by the end of the season he'll be under the 100 GP still). I see him as a true star rising, and I'm debating trading one of my minors away to make room for Zegras (since this would give me an extra season with him after I call him up next year)... OR I could even make him a minor keeper and keep him down there all next season when I'm still not competing, only starting his keeper eligibility for the 23/24 season (guys can be kept on the main team for 5 years only).

Problem is, I don't really know what to actually expect (points only) from guys like my 5 minors (Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti, Johnson & Holtz). What do you fine folks think - are there one or two of them you'd feel okay with trading away, or should I just keep all 5 and keep Zegras on my main team? (Not looking to compete next season).
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Prospect Top 200 List Joy - Owning Top 5! Bonus: Zegras Question...

Keep 5. There will come a time when you will have all 5 helping you win championships one way or another. Let them stew and just increase their market value. Sell high if you have to but no rush anytime soon. (all minors btw) Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Keep 5. There will come a time when you will have all 5 helping you win championships one way or another. Let them stew and just increase their market value. Sell high if you have to but no rush anytime soon. (all minors btw) Good luck.
    Thanks for this! REP left.

Yeah, I think I agree. It'd be nice to get an extra year out of Zegras, but that's a long time from now and it's probably not worth completely losing one of my 5 minors to make it happen. These young bucks should be about ready to shine right when my team is strong again (due to lots of high picks in the next two drafts).

Dobber Sports Genius

Well you look like you are going in a very promising direction. Nice young core coming soon.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Veteran

I own Perfetti so I was quite focused on his performance when he was in the Jets lineup a few months ago. He got put on an offensive line pretty quickly with Dubois and Connor and they were playing quite well together. From what i saw his biggest strength is vision/playmaking ability. He's not a dynamic skater right now but maybe that improves. I don't know what to project for next year but you would hope for a full year in the Top 6. It would be nice if he could get onto PP1 but that seems like a bit of a pipe dream with the way NHL coaches are slow to trust youngsters.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I own Perfetti so I was quite focused on his performance when he was in the Jets lineup a few months ago. He got put on an offensive line pretty quickly with Dubois and Connor and they were playing quite well together. From what i saw his biggest strength is vision/playmaking ability. He's not a dynamic skater right now but maybe that improves. I don't know what to project for next year but you would hope for a full year in the Top 6. It would be nice if he could get onto PP1 but that seems like a bit of a pipe dream with the way NHL coaches are slow to trust youngsters.
    Thanks! Yeah, I have heard good things about all 5 of these guys but I haven't really seen any of them play much (if at all). Glad you hear you liked what you saw with Perfetti. I'm planning to let all 5 of these guys stew one or two extra years in the minors anyways, so that buys them some time to get used to the NHL level.