Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Vehicle - Family Style

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Passenger Vehicle - Family Style

My wife and I are in the market for a new vehicle as our Subaru Forester is no longer big enough for us as our three children are getting older. Our main concerns are the following:

1) Safety - we want a safe vehicle
    2) Seating Capacity - we will have three children with us most of the time but also want seats for at least two more
    3) Cargo storage - we want enough space to carry all of our stuff with us when we go places; we just took a three night trip to the mountains and our Forester was completely stuffed (we were able to leave the roof rack at home but just barely)
    4) Durability/Retain Value/Long-lasting - we will likely keep this vehicle for the next decade plus so we want something that will last until our children start moving out

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Passenger Vehicle - Family Style

Ford Explorer is pretty spacious in my opinion, and not as pricey as a Suburban, Expedition, or Yukon.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban would be my recommendations based on experience and your criteria listed.

Need to go with that sized option as the Travers/Explorer sized vehicles severely lack in cargo storage (especially if you are trying to fit in hockey bags)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm just gonna say that if you arent buying electric you are making a mistake. I know the selection is limited but if you plan on getting a gas vehicle, then factor in the cost of fuel over 10 years as part of the vehicle cost, and do the same for EV and include your local kW/hr charges. You may end up paying more upfront (Tesla model Y or the X if its in the budget, is what it sounds like you need) but in that 10 year term you will save huge, and help our MoNa a bit as well.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I'm just gonna say that if you arent buying electric you are making a mistake. I know the selection is limited but if you plan on getting a gas vehicle, then factor in the cost of fuel over 10 years as part of the vehicle cost, and do the same for EV and include your local kW/hr charges. You may end up paying more upfront (Tesla model Y or the X if its in the budget, is what it sounds like you need) but in that 10 year term you will save huge, and help our MoNa a bit as well.
    electric vehicles are such a farce. what does a replacement battery cost on those ugly tesla's? How long does a battery last? They may be cute in a city to go get yourself some groceries but in a Canadian winter nothing beats a gas vehicle in my opinion.

electric vehicles are also horrible for the environment contrary to marketing makes us believe.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Fords/Toyota/Honda are held up as the gold standard in terms of safety/reliability, but in my research Kia’s rate on par with them and are usually quite a bit cheaper. For your requirements I would at least take a look at the Sorrento. We have a Sportage (smaller) and are quite happy with it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

As for EVs, can generally just ignore what Stifler says always however:

Tesla batteries have a range of 400-600 kms per charge and have a lifespans of 450,000-800,000 kms and still hold 80% of original charge capacity at 300,000 kms, not that I am specifically recommending an EV to the op. They also do not see markedly worse performance in the winter (any more than gas vehicles, which also see their efficiency decrease in winter)

Dobber Sports Pro

I have a 2021 Tesla Model Y in my garage. You can ask me anything about EVs in general. Paying over $1.50 L for gas has to be a serious consideration right now for any new vehicle purchase now and for the future. Operating costs are rarely seriously weighed in along with the purchase price like they should be.

But to answer the OPs original questions:

1. Tesla MY has the highest safety ratings anywhere
    2. Can seat 3 kids in the back fine.... though I don't have kids to draw from experience
    3. Storage is decent and probably better than a Forester. EVs typically have extra storage in deeper trucks and front end storage in the 'Frunk'
    4. Teslas have decent reliability with the earlier ones already hitting the 10 year mark, and no other vehicle retains their value better. In fact if you bought a TESLA in the last 2-3 years and can easily sell it for MORE than what you paid given the current high demand

Only problem with any Tesla right now is actually getting one. Wait times from ordering direct is easily 6+ months and the used market that has any prospects are selling within a day of being listed so you have to prepare to act fast.

Dobber Sports Deity

Believe it or not, the Hyundai Santa Fe XL is an excellent vehicle with tons of space, and affordable.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

For reliability and durability you can't go wrong with a mid range SUV from Honda or Toyota. As good as it gets. (can't speak for EVs).
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

not sure if Chevy makes the Traverse up north but I feel it is the best bang for the buck.. I have one and it is very spacious (easily 3 kids if you get the bench seats in back).

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Master

someone I know loves their toyota highlander

4 adults + one 8 year old kid are doing an ontario to east coast 3 week trip in one .

Dobber Sports Stud

We bought a Highlander about 5 years ago and love it. When I did my research (many of the same considerations you listed) it came down to the Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Hyundai Sante Fe. In the end, all three were great options but I also have a friend with a Highlander and he loves it, which tipped the scales for me. We only have one young one but often take my nephews up north (a couple of hours in Toronto speak) and there is a lot of room. The third row seats usually stay down and they are a bit smaller than the front and back seats, so might not be great for adults for really long voyages. If we need extra space or have items that don't fit well inside (e.g., skis) we use the Thule.

One aspect that was recommended to me was to go with the leather seats, especially if you have kids. Cloth seats are a pain to clean. We bought the XLE which has leather seats, front seat warmers and bench seating in the back rows. If you upgrade to the Limited you get bucket seats in the back/second row (which sounds like you don't want).

We looked at hybrids but the timeline to make up the cost differential (at the time) was 16+ years and could not justify the extra cash. I did not look at EVs and don't know anything about them, but with fuel prices climbing, might be inclined to at least have a look if I were buying today.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    electric vehicles are such a farce. what does a replacement battery cost on those ugly tesla's? How long does a battery last? They may be cute in a city to go get yourself some groceries but in a Canadian winter nothing beats a gas vehicle in my opinion.

electric vehicles are also horrible for the environment contrary to marketing makes us believe.
    There is no contest when it comes to environmental impact, sorry dude, its not even close. ICE cars do way more damage over their lifetime. You can throw all the generic comments you want at it but they're all BS. So some of the conspiracy theories you read are wrong... see there will always be conspiracies and controversy and lobbyists, you have to be smart enough to know when to listen and when to ignore.

As for the climate yes, there is a bit of a sweet spot for efficiency, Cali was too hot for the Leaf and Canada is too wet and cold for Tesla. But the weather isn't always cold up here and how often does one drive 500 km with kids and not stop once? Most driving is city driving and short distance, and idling. Perfect for EVs. And battery conditioning tech is still a focus. Heaters and coolers to keep the cells optimal. I have been driving my Leaf for 5 years in BC and am yet to lose a tick of my battery meter. I have spent 30$ on maintenance in that time, replacing he wipers. No oil guys... I laugh when I see 2$ per litre, I ****ING LAUGH SO HARD AT PEOPLE LIKE STIFLER with their Canada flags dragging down those home made alberta pig rigs blasting down the highway.

Where I live electricity is 12c/kwh. I have looked at 3 cars mileages, the Leaf, the Bolt EV and a Tesla Model S. They consume between 12-20 kWh per 100 km. So if you average at 15 kwh times 12c you get.... $1.80 per 100 km charging at home.
    Just sayin.

Here is the Ioniq being started in Saskatchewan winter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh49EhPICBM

Good luck with your decision, keep doing that research.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hey Chuck - Consumerreports.org is always my go-to for things like this.
    The wife and I have had our 2010 Subaru Forester since fall '09 and have not had a single issue with it for almost 13 years now.
    Great vehicle - and we just have two daughters, so we don't need the extra space.

Since I have subscription, here's what CR has for ratings for "Midsized sport-utility vehicles 3-row" and "Large sport utility vehicles" (assume "Luxury" is out of range.)
    $ are US.

97... 2022 Kia Telluride. Price range: $33k-$45k. 5/4/5
    88... 2022 Toyota Highlander. Price range: $35k-$51k. 5/4/5
    87... 2022 Hyundai Palisade. Price range: $33k-$49k. 5/5/5
    84... 2022 Mazda CX-9. Price range: $35k-$47k. 5/4/5
    83... 2022 Chevrolet Traverse. Price range: $34k-$53k. NA/NA/NA
    The last three numbers are the star rating (out of 5) for NHTSA Overall Crash, NHTSA Overall Frontal-Crash, NHTSA Overall Side-Crash
    (several other cars come in next at 76 or less, Honda Pilot first... then VW Atlas, Nissan Pathf... the Ford Explorer 47, Kia Sorento 46, Chevy Suburb 41, GMC Yukon XL 40, and Chevy Tahoe 39, and GMC Yukon bring up the rear.)

For a benchmark on their scoring... (and you will know since you have one)... the Subaru Foresters have been scored out at around 80-88 for the last 10-15 years.
    Usuallly they've been the #1 or #2 vehicle in their class those years.

The "Outback" is currently the highest scoring "midsized" at 85 (but not a 3-row)...
    The "Forester" is currently the highest scoring "compact" at 90... obv, smaller than a mid-sized.

That 97 score on the Telluride is insane... I've honestly only seen one or two cars scored at 97+ in the 15+ years I've been a member of CR. (one was the Tesla)

re: Electric, not sure it is where you are... but (like houses), electrics are in high demand and being moved up well above previous sticker price with obviously no bartering down at dealership or with owners.
    So... IMO, its just not an option right now - unless you are going to log 100km+ every 5 years and need the gas $$$ savings.

Good luck, hope you pick a good one!