Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Will Smith Oscars

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Will Smith Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Making fun of medical conditions is bad. Are comedians responsible of knowing every single attendees full medical history? Absolutely not. Fortunately, Jada has regularly openly discussed her medical conditions and how many mental health problems she's had because of it. No medical history required. Either Rock knew and didn't care (which is most likely), or he didn't bother to do a cursory check of an audience of his peers on a globally broadcast awards show. Either way he's an a**hole.

Calling Joseph Monish Patel a "white dude" is bad.

Assaulting someone is bad.

Will Smith and Chris Rock are both a**holes and neither are the victim.

If you're a comedian and you can't make jokes without using someone's medical conditions or appearance, you're probably a shitty comedian.

Also, no this is not a roast. It's a globally broadcast awards show. Sure, they're there to make light-hearted jokes. Pretty easy to keep people's appearance out of it. A roast is something that all parties sign up for, know they are the target, and is usually published on some streaming service.
    Chris didn't even write the thing lol.
    Jada even said "all we can do is laugh about it" when talking about her condition.
    GI Jane was badass and made more $$$ at the box office then King Richard did and that was over 20 years ago.

It was super mild joke, that didn't warrant that type of reaction from Will.
    I think it was more the case of 'the straw that broke the camels back'
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Its also pretty messed up that this is causing the academy to ban Smith from future shows and some talk about stripping his award, but Harvey Weinstein's 1999 award is still retained. Plus banning Smith for a slap is in the same tier to the academy as Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski, Bill Cosby and Carmine Caridi is just odd.

The whole situation and the after math is weird.
    It does seem strange to me that what type of person you are, should have an effect on whether or not you should win the Oscar. If you have a category which 2 actors are extremely close to winning, is the deciding factor for determining the winner the nicest person?

That's what is strange to me. Let Smith keep the Oscar; he won it based on his talents on screen which hasn't changed. But kick him out when it happens. Don't let him back. That's the difference to me between those you mentioned. They are all horrible people, but Will Smith reacted in a violent way at your event. Unless you want to make testemant of character part of the Oscar criteria.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It does seem strange to me that what type of person you are, should have an effect on whether or not you should win the Oscar. If you have a category which 2 actors are extremely close to winning, is the deciding factor for determining the winner the nicest person?

That's what is strange to me. Let Smith keep the Oscar; he won it based on his talents on screen which hasn't changed. But kick him out when it happens. Don't let him back. That's the difference to me between those you mentioned. They are all horrible people, but Will Smith reacted in a violent way at your event. Unless you want to make testemant of character part of the Oscar criteria.

Rylant
    Ya that's what I mean, like...why is this act the same punishment (and some calling for worse) as rapists and criminals.

It'll be another story that we won't care about in 4 weeks. Ricky Gervais though did say he wouldn't have made fun of Jada's medical condition, he would have made fun of her boytoy. Which would have had me on the floor laughing likely, where as the JI Jane joke was like "ha...cause no hair".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I am surprised, in today's soft world we live in, that comedians are even allowed to do that type of comedy on live tv anymore. I am surprised more people are not "offended" by what is said against other people.

I am not even sure why we even have these award shows anymore if I am being 100% honest with you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am surprised, in today's soft world we live in, that comedians are even allowed to do that type of comedy on live tv anymore. I am surprised more people are not "offended" by what is said against other people.

I am not even sure why we even have these award shows anymore if I am being 100% honest with you.
    To make these fairly irrelevant people feel special. I'm more surprised they haven't given participation trophies to the losers yet.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I love that the generation responsible for participation trophies complains the most about participation trophies.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I love that the generation responsible for participation trophies complains the most about participation trophies.
    It would be the generation who raised the generation complaining the most about participation trophies that is responsible for participation trophies. I wouldn't expect you to understand that concept though.

Dobber Sports Deity

LOL! Proud to be a Gen X.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."