Thread: Keep 3 Decision

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Keep 3 Decision

Hey fantasy baseball experts,

Looking for advice on which of the following three players to keep. Ranked in what order I think they should be with spaces between tiers.

Cole

DeGrom
    Ohtani
    Acuna Jr. (inj)

Marte
    Anderson
    Teoscar
    Wheeler (inj)

Wish I could keep more than three, but that's just how it is. Thanks for any feedback!
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Keep 3 Decision

I agree that your top 4 are the top 4. I don't think the space between Cole and DeGrom is all that big. Cole regresses this year, I think. DeGrom's ceiling, based on the last 1.2 years, is #1 player in fantasy baseball.

All that being said, depending on how long you get to keep them and all that, it is hard to say no to Acuna. I generally go with one solid pitcher and try to win on bargains, so I'd be tempted to go with one of the pitchers and keep the two batters. Given the perception of DeGrom is probably low, perhaps you can snag him in your draft.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I agree that your top 4 are the top 4. I don't think the space between Cole and DeGrom is all that big. Cole regresses this year, I think. DeGrom's ceiling, based on the last 1.2 years, is #1 player in fantasy baseball.

All that being said, depending on how long you get to keep them and all that, it is hard to say no to Acuna. I generally go with one solid pitcher and try to win on bargains, so I'd be tempted to go with one of the pitchers and keep the two batters. Given the perception of DeGrom is probably low, perhaps you can snag him in your draft.
    Agree that Cole and deGrom could be in the same tier. I guess I'm still a bit worried about deGrom's injury history, though he seemed to be throwing fine today. Cole is the only player in my top 4 that I don't have any question marks about, so I'm almost certain to keep him.

I've kept Acuna the last couple seasons, but it looks like he will miss the start of the season. So I have to discount him a bit too. Ohtani had an incredible year last season, but I have a hard time thinking he will replicate that with his dual responsibility as a pitcher. Forgot to mention that I have his hitter role, not his pitcher role.

Dobber Sports Star

I too think that Ohtani will regress to some extent. On the other hand, 46 HR and 26 SB in a season shines brighter than the sun. I mean, in the 90s and 00s, I would have given a testicle for a guy like that.

Dobber Sports Immortal

What are your categories??

Dobber Sports Titan

Heavily dependent on your categories and starting lineup.

But guessing on the regular cats/starting lineup settings I would go Acuna, DeGrom, Cole. I would see if you can trade Cole for a batter, or even Ohtani+Cole for someone. I trust DeGrom more than Cole just out of what his top possible stats are. Cole still was a beast after the sticky tack stuff came out, but his HR ball just jumped. He was still winning, he was still getting Ks, he still had a low walk rate.

DeGrom is just unnaturally good. Also, you can go the route of "I'll go with team injury with keeping DeGrom and Acuna and if something happens, I'll trade for Tatis".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Cole
    Acuna Jr
    DeGrom

I know it sucks about Acuna's injury but he's just too good to let go. You'll have to be patient on him coming back.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    What are your categories??
    Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL, IL, IL, IL
    Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Doubles (2B), Triples (3B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Slugging Percentage (SLG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
    Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Strikeouts per Nine Innings (K/9), Quality Starts (QS), Saves + Holds (SV+H)

Dobber Sports Immortal

With 2 Util spots .....

Cole, Acuna and Ohtani are my choices.

Dobber Sports Titan

2 Util, and 3SPs def make that decision of Ohtani tighter. Especially with a hopefully healthy Trout. But I'm still going to go with DeGrom.

I'd def explore trades tho. All 4 should be keepers.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll