Thread: Baseball's back!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Baseball's back!

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...vpB2WREPg&s=19

BREAKING: Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have reached a tentative agreement on a new labor deal, sources tell ESPN. While it still needs to be ratified by both parties, that is expected to be a formality, and when it is:

Baseball is back.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Baseball's back!

This is awesome news!!!

Now the only thing that can make it better is that Freeman and the Braves announce that he has he resigned in Atlanta!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yesssss Ss. Pretty shocked they're starting so soon but I can't really complain

Dobber Sports Icon

Expanding playoffs to 12 teams and adding in the DH in the National League this year... I can get behind both of those changes
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Expanding playoffs to 12 teams and adding in the DH in the National League this year... I can get behind both of those changes
    Enough to join our Dobber League?

Dobber Sports Titan

Removing the man on 2nd in extras, removing how much they play their own division, 9 inning double headers are back. Nice game rules changes.

Except I still think the whole system needs changed. No way does the MLB actually need to have Rookie League, low A, High A, AA, and AAA in their system. Like that makes no sense to me. You rework that and I think the time manipulation thing kinda fixes itself.

I don't think this is a win for the MLB, it's a kick the can down the road again. The system is seriously flawed and the MLBPA won't be on board to removing leagues.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Removing the man on 2nd in extras, removing how much they play their own division, 9 inning double headers are back. Nice game rules changes.

Except I still think the whole system needs changed. No way does the MLB actually need to have Rookie League, low A, High A, AA, and AAA in their system. Like that makes no sense to me. You rework that and I think the time manipulation thing kinda fixes itself.

I don't think this is a win for the MLB, it's a kick the can down the road again. The system is seriously flawed and the MLBPA won't be on board to removing leagues.
    The biggest issue to me is pace of play. I used to be a diehard fan and loved fantasy baseball. Nowadays, baseball is an afterthought for me. Eliminate the shift, put the pitchers on a time clock, and keep batters in the box. They also need to get the game away from three-outcome baseball. I thought the 3-batter rule for relief pitchers was a step in the right direction but I haven't seen what the overall impact has been. Get the average game time to 2 hr 45 min.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The biggest issue to me is pace of play. I used to be a diehard fan and loved fantasy baseball. Nowadays, baseball is an afterthought for me. Eliminate the shift, put the pitchers on a time clock, and keep batters in the box. They also need to get the game away from three-outcome baseball. I thought the 3-batter rule for relief pitchers was a step in the right direction but I haven't seen what the overall impact has been. Get the average game time to 2 hr 45 min.
    I don't agree with eliminating the shift. It's like eliminating the curveball to me. Just because batters can't do anything about it, shouldn't mean you eliminate it. If you put in a pitch clock and can still pull off the shifts correctly in that limited time, then go ahead. You should be rewarded for pulling that stuff off in a limited time. Like, just because Gallo can't lay a bunt down the 3rd base line and chooses not to practice it shouldn't mean defenses are restricted in how they play him. People hate the shift, but that's on the batters to me and not the defenses.

I also think that if you want to keep 162 games, 2hr45m is too long. But if you have 100 games, then i think more people can stomach that time investment. 162games is ridiculous. You can make 3 games happen in the span of 6days and eliminate the need for a lot of bad pitchers and "platoon guys". There is no need for the extent of the sport to me. Eliminate a bunch of games, the redundant minor league teams, and put in a pitch clock or "pitch sign watch/remote" (but then you eliminate sign stealing but whatever).

Like I said, I think the sport needs a full overhaul. If you get a full season cancelled, I think there's actually more improvement in the game long term. This stuff is just kicking the can down the road to me. The same issues will come up when this deal is over and we're just going to face it again.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Enough to join our Dobber League?
    I don't follow close enough to be competitive in fantasy baseball. I may watch a handful of games (and usually only the tail-end of them) through the regular season. If my Red Sox aren't competitive and the Jays aren't in the running, my interest tends to trail off completely.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I don't agree with eliminating the shift. It's like eliminating the curveball to me. Just because batters can't do anything about it, shouldn't mean you eliminate it. If you put in a pitch clock and can still pull off the shifts correctly in that limited time, then go ahead. You should be rewarded for pulling that stuff off in a limited time. Like, just because Gallo can't lay a bunt down the 3rd base line and chooses not to practice it shouldn't mean defenses are restricted in how they play him. People hate the shift, but that's on the batters to me and not the defenses.
    I care more about the aesthetics of the game than the strategy of beating the shift by hitting the opposite way or laying down a bunt. If a batter rips a ball up the middle or lines one in the gap it should be rewarded with a hit not an out because the opposing team put on a shift. I understand what you are saying from a competition and skill perspective but I value the look of the game more.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I care more about the aesthetics of the game than the strategy of beating the shift by hitting the opposite way or laying down a bunt. If a batter rips a ball up the middle or lines one in the gap it should be rewarded with a hit not an out because the opposing team put on a shift. I understand what you are saying from a competition and skill perspective but I value the look of the game more.
    Ya to me it's like banning the trap in hockey. Or putting in the trapezoid. I wasn't old enough to really have an opinion on it then but it's removing a teams skill, not penalizing an illegal move. By August I won't have thought of the shift lol.

It'll be interesting what teams do now defensively and how the "banning shift" rule is written. If it's like the lineup has to be 3B, SS, 2B, 1B. Could a team say "Well i'm making a positional move of Bo (ss) and Biggio (3B)...Like I don't get how you would word it. Could get a bit messy with the infield shift. And is the OF shifts still a thing? I don't know how logistically it'll work.

Good article on the shift and what it might actually accomplish https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-ban...ot-accomplish/