Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia and Ukraine conflict.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Russia and Ukraine conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    If there's any good that can come from something like this, I hope it can help all of us in North America have a little bit more perspective on our 'problems'. We've all been locked in this ridiculous left-vs-right battle about covid, mandates, vaccines, etc and if that's our biggest issue then we clearly have it way too good compared to other parts of the world.
    I agree with this. Let's stop the bi partisan crap on our own soil. There is real evil out there and we all need to work together to prop our country and fellow human up.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Couldn't imagine how embarrassed I would be if I spent 3 weeks protesting lack of freedom in Canada only to watch what's happening in Ukraine.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Couldn't imagine how embarrassed I would be if I spent 3 weeks protesting lack of freedom in Canada only to watch what's happening in Ukraine.
    Or even the protests that are happening in Moscow where people were instantly arrested.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    https://twitter.com/Newnews_eu/statu...LcP5QxyMQ&s=09

Im not crying. You're crying.

We are worried about social mandates when there is real shit going on. A little perspective goes a long way.
    I think this is a little whataboutism. No question, there are different degrees of seriousness with each problem, but I don't think there is any reason you can't be concerned about both.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I think this is a little whataboutism. No question, there are different degrees of seriousness with each problem, but I don't think there is any reason you can't be concerned about both.

Rylant
    You can call it whataboutism if you like, but I think a better word for it is perspective. If you find yourself complaining to the waiter that your sparkling water is fizzy enough, it would benefit you and everyone around you to remind yourself that some people don't have access to safe drinking water at all.

Dobber Sports Veteran

You can call it whataboutism if you like, but I think a better word for it is perspective. If you find yourself complaining to the waiter that your sparkling water is fizzy enough, it would benefit you and everyone around you to remind yourself that some people don't have access to safe drinking water at all.
    Yes and no. Perspective AND context. Your concept only works in one direction, and is extremely depressing in the other. It comes down to expectation and under what rules that person is forced to live by. I do not think it is a healthy way to measure how satisfied a person should be with their life by comparing it to how it is for someone else. Let's look at the scenario we are in:

I'm gonna be happy all the time because I don't have a hard life like people in ___________. If my water stops running, I'm calling the city, not sitting around going "oh well, this is life in parts of Africa (and Canada) so I cant complain!"

Let's turn it around and look at how this method is applied to those who are in a less fortunate situation and see our lives:

I'm gonna be unhappy all the time because I don't have an easy life like people in______________." And then we get 9-11.

Go ahead and do that if you want to, but that mentality is not for me, unless someone can explain why it is a good perspective to have. I am willing to listen, learn, and change. Essentially, we should always be looking to improve life for everyone in all parts of the world, and NEVER settle.

I am THANKFUL today that I am not directly experiencing the misery that innocent Ukrainians, I hope for them that it will not be a sustained experience.

And good work again for Raytroller to derail a yet another thread with their off topic and empty comments. We can measure our countries' collective beefs vs others on the whiner scale in another thread, let's title it "You are not allowed to complain about life until someone drops a bomb on you" or "Shut your mouth because you don't know hard times like the citizens of North Koreans". Keep lobbing your "I know everything but I'm not going to explain anything" comments into random threads...

Dobber Sports Initiate

If you find yourself complaining that your sparkling isn’t fizzy enough, you also walked into that restaurant gladly showing your QR code, but hiding your face behind a mask, have shared your pronouns at one point, and think Biden needs more time to Build Back Better right after he shows Putin all the diversity training the US military has completed. The Left will always find something to complain about. They need chaos. Well, enjoy.

Dobber Sports Star

Yes no question perspective is important. If you are in the hospital for a broken fingernail and you are complaining that the guy with third degree burns on 90 percent of his body is getting service despite the fact that he came in after you, then you should take a step back and reflect.

That's not what we are talking about here, though. Mandates are important and we need to work through it and they are legitimate concerns to some people. Are they as important as children dying in the Ukraine? No of course not. But I am smart enough to know one is bigger that the other, however I can still be concerned with both.

There is ALWAYS something more important or more dire than your current situation. Using your logic, unless your situation is the single most important thing happening in the world, then you can't complain about your situation. Sure, you got your finger amputated, but there are people who lost their whole arm! How about a little perspective here...

Rylant

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant
    Of course.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    And good work again for Raytroller to derail a yet another thread with their off topic and empty comments.
    Thats his thing. Leave him alone!

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    And good work again for Raytroller to derail a yet another thread with their off topic and empty comments. We can measure our countries' collective beefs vs others on the whiner scale in another thread, let's title it "You are not allowed to complain about life until someone drops a bomb on you" or "Shut your mouth because you don't know hard times like the citizens of North Koreans". Keep lobbing your "I know everything but I'm not going to explain anything" comments into random threads...
    Rent free.

Dobber Sports Sage

So why does Russia think Ukraine is theirs?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    This needs to put everything in perspective. At this point I don't even want to re visit my old threads I created about Covid. We have all been squabbling over essentially nothing for two years, myself included. What these poor people are going through is horrific. The number one concern should be for the life's of the people in Ukraine.

This is also a lose lose for the rest of the world. Sanctions to Russia will hurt their economy but also increase our cost of living significantly. Which is a fine trade off if it doesn't lead to the more scary scenario, a hot war between two nations with nuclear capabilities. There's been countless pointless wars over the years but this is the first one I can remember that could have devastating affects on all of humanity.
    Covid has killed over 5,900,000 people in the past 2.3 years including over 11,000 people yesterday. It's still a big deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56720589

This is a good read with some background information, although I'm sure it's not comprehensive.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56720589

This is a good read with some background information, although I'm sure it's not comprehensive.
    Thanks. Looks like it overviews a good number of points.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24