Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alberta Strong. First to set plan to return to normal.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Alberta Strong. First to set plan to return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Ummmm, tech maybe? Last time I checked Shopify was born in Ottawa.

Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver doing all kinds of good stuff there, driven by the terrific universities and availability of excellent talent.

Alberta contributes too, nothing to take away there, but this absolutist "we contribute everything, you do nothing" mindset makes no sense to me. Unless it's really a reflection of some other type of resentment, in which case it starts to add up (still nonsensical, but can see more where it's coming from).
    Canada isn't known for tech. Shopify is a good example but it's one and they only employ approximately 7000 employees, many of them world wide. Canada is a resource driven country. Oil and Gas will be needed and consumed for years regardless of climate change policies, today's prices are an indication of that. We should be exploiting that and using the proceeds to diversify.

The biggest area I think we can ramp up is mining. We have the resources. That's where we should be expanding that will help lift everyone up. But we don't have the capital to spend on it, unless we want to keep taxing the middle. We need Oil and Gas to be as profitable as possible for the next 20 years and use the excess to build alternatives.

Tech is just a roll of dice. It's based on your people more than something tangible. It's why the US is so far ahead of us. Larger talent pool to draw on. It's also why China is producing more engineers each year than anywhere else.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Ontario generates about 37% of the National GDP and has almost half of all tech, financial and other "knowledge-intensive industries". source

2019 GDP contribution:
    Ontario - 38.59%
    Quebec - 19.92%
    Alberta - 15.27%
    BC - 13.38%
    You got to adjust that based on GDP per capita. Also net positive trade is more important. Look at Bombardier over the years. Generated huge revenues, weren't profitable, collapsed multiple of times.

The below website has a great interactive view of trade in Canada.

Top exports 2019:

Crude Petroleum (67.8 billion) + refined petroleum 12.3 billion next closest industry was cars at 40.9 billion. Conversely we imported 26 billion worth of petroleum despite having the third largest reserves of Oil in the world.

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/can
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    You got to adjust that based on GDP per capita. Also net positive trade is more important. Look at Bombardier over the years. Generated huge revenues, weren't profitable, collapsed multiple of times.

Top exports 2019:

Crude Petroleum (67.8 billion) + refined petroleum 12.3 billion next closest industry was cars at 40.9 billion. Conversely we imported 26 billion worth of petroleum despite having the third largest reserves of Oil in the world.

Would per capita really mean a whole lot when it comes to something like this? Like if GDP is the tangible unit you're using to say what province is driving Canada, wouldn't just the overall number matter and not per capita in this case? It could be a way of saying Alberta should be trying to bring in more people with programs someone how to entice people to move there more.

Like if I'm asked do I want $100mill in pennies or $1mill in $20s, I don't care if the $100mill is less/coin, I just care about the overall amount. Again, I'm not going to try and say I'm anything near knowledgeable on this (and please tell me if it's totally the wrong take), but money is money I would think.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

Top exports 2019:

OEC is a cool website, info is always fun (though always subject to interpretation, of course)

What I don't get is why Alberta seems to be the only province where there is need to start going on about "We're number 1", "everyone is hold us back", "blah, blah, blah". It's just kinda seems weird/sad. They found massive and valuable natural resources under the ground which inflate incomes and this is a sign that the people of Alberta are harder working and more valuable than other Canadians?

I mean, Alberta also has the youngest population in Canada, and few pensioners also inflates apparent GDP (along with natural resources)... but, no, it is Alberta Strong that is responsible? I just don't get it at all.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Great One

No one said Alberta is the worst province except Canuck fan which is kinda weird

Dobber Sports Star

How much stress, hours and sacrifice did he incur or did he just walk into millions? I know lot's of people who work months away from their families in really poor weather conditions to earn the big salaries they receive. In my case I am an office employee, yet I still work 60 hours a week to keep things going.

Also everyone in Canada has a choice to move. in fact I know many people from other provinces, myself included who moved here for work.

Were literally putting in policies to destroy Oil and Gas, even though it's still by far are number 1 industry. The government has done very little as well to demonstrate areas where people can make comparable living wages in other industries. They just spend millions propping up the bottom but do nothing for the middle.
    Yes he worked very hard. Lots of hours and stress and it was a high-level, educated position. But because he did it in Alberta, he made many many times more than he would have in a different industry in a different province. So it's hard to feel sorry for him when he cries about how unfair it is for Albertans. We have it so good in Alberta it's not even funny, but people here bitch and moan about every other province because they want to have EVEN MORE than the rest of Canada. "WAAAA IT'S OUR OIL!!!!!". So selfish and greedy.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Lots of people migrated from other provinces to go to AB for O&G. Many have returned to their home provinces with big wallets, trucks and attitudes. It’s a shame, but since we are beating on AB here, thought i would share.

Other provinces contribute what they do, some more than others based on the world’s current demand for our resources. BC has been shaved of its forests and oceans and we export much if our green electricity to other provinces and to the USA. I can’t speak to the contributions from other provinces.

But if AB can blaze the trail on the covid rule removals, all will be forgiven ��

Edit — BC also seems to be the hotbed for the homeless, with our pleasant climate and infinite appetite for safe injection sites. So we should get credit for that too.

Dobber Sports Ace

Fossil fuels have been massively mismanaged in Canada. The majority of profits have gone to foreign corporations, mostly American and Chinese, and the rest has been pissed away as fast as it can be earned. No wonder Alberta is completely dependent on things operating at max capacity and it is a total catastrophe if the price of oil drops or a pipeline doesn't go through. Look to Norway if you want a better example.

What happens when we shift far enough away from fossil fuels that expensive tar sands oil is no longer viable? Clearly Alberta and oil lobbyists will fight tooth and nail until that happens, but the writing is on the wall. Not sure what you guys are going to do then given that the economy in Alberta is about as diversified as a KKK rally.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    As an Albertan myself, it's this attitude right here that I hate the most about being from here. It's so ****ing arrogant and selfish, and I see it every day. These people act like proud Canadians and patriots, while at the same time it's always me me me, Alberta first. Alberta is the best and the rest of Canada sucks. So embarrassing.
    Yeah, it's a bit much. Also, highest earnings /= hardest workers.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Fossil fuels have been massively mismanaged in Canada. The majority of profits have gone to foreign corporations, mostly American and Chinese, and the rest has been pissed away as fast as it can be earned. No wonder Alberta is completely dependent on things operating at max capacity and it is a total catastrophe if the price of oil drops or a pipeline doesn't go through. Look to Norway if you want a better example.

What happens when we shift far enough away from fossil fuels that expensive tar sands oil is no longer viable? Clearly Alberta and oil lobbyists will fight tooth and nail until that happens, but the writing is on the wall. Not sure what you guys are going to do then given that the economy in Alberta is about as diversified as a KKK rally.
    Norway is an incredibly poor example to compare Canada to. Primarily, when Norway needs pipelines to coasts, they simply.....build them.

Dobber Sports Ace

I was referring to the fact that instead of selling off their resources to foreign corporations they profited from them as a country and invested those profits long term. Approximately 50% of oil production is Statoil, which is state owned. That will be a rich country for a very long time, regardless of what happens with the oil and gas industry from here.

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I was referring to the fact that instead of selling off their resources to foreign corporations they profited from them as a country and invested those profits long term. Approximately 50% of oil production is Statoil, which is state owned. That will be a rich country for a very long time, regardless of what happens with the oil and gas industry from here.
    Right, because the country supported the industry at every turn, which is very very different from how the country of Canada has acted. The province is very very limited as to what they can do without the support of the country. Again, they are so dissimilar there is no way to honestly compare them.

Dobber Sports Icon

Canada isn't known for tech. Shopify is a good example but it's one and they only employ approximately 7000 employees, many of them world wide. Canada is a resource driven country. Oil and Gas will be needed and consumed for years regardless of climate change policies, today's prices are an indication of that. We should be exploiting that and using the proceeds to diversify.

The biggest area I think we can ramp up is mining. We have the resources. That's where we should be expanding that will help lift everyone up. But we don't have the capital to spend on it, unless we want to keep taxing the middle. We need Oil and Gas to be as profitable as possible for the next 20 years and use the excess to build alternatives.

Tech is just a roll of dice. It's based on your people more than something tangible. It's why the US is so far ahead of us. Larger talent pool to draw on. It's also why China is producing more engineers each year than anywhere else.
    So much wrong with this.

Canada has some of the best engineering schools in the world.

Canada is most certainly known for tech - you don't have to compete every day with behemoth US and China to be "known for tech."

If anything our biggest problem is engineering talent from Canada leaving to go to US, not that we don't have a great talent pool to begin with.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

http://credbc.ca/norways-oil-gas-policy/

Explanation above, basically we just rolled over to oil and gas companies and gave them everything. Yes, there are different challenges here but no question that could have been handled differently. Honestly though it is moot because climate change is a thing and the world, sooner or later, is going to move away from fossil fuels. The time to take control of those resources instead of selling them to the highest bidder for short term profit has long passed.

What a delightfully simplistic article. I will simply respond that Alberta is a completely landlocked region whereas neither Alaska nor Norway are (or Texas, for that matter), and hopefully you can connect the dots where it immediately breaks down.

Leonard Schein is the founder and former President of Festival Cinemas (which operated The Ridge Theatre, Fifth Avenue Cinemas and The Park Theatre), founder of the Vancouver International Film Festival and is chair of the board of directors of the Canadian Cancer Society. While he is known for his work within the film industry, he also has a reputation for supporting community outside of film and standing up for social justice. One of his biggest issues of concern now is how Canada is managing its oil industry.
    What credentials though. A true expert.

Now. If Canada was willing to adopt those principles, then Alberta also could. But Alberta cannot without the support of Canada, which Norway has and Alaska and Texas don't need. Wow nuance crazy.