Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup (of Soccer)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: 2022 World Cup (of Soccer)

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Canada gets belgium morocco and croatia.

Thats gonna be tough.

First game against belgium
    Tough indeed. Belgium and Croatia are experienced squads with star players at every key positions.
    Morocco is no push-over either. Almost all their players play in the main European leagues, albeit not in the most powerful clubs.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Titan

Could have been worse for Canada, could have been better.

Belgium isn't a slouch but aren't the #2 team in the world. They're over ranked. But experienced. Croatia isn't what they used to be and are over ranked. But both are still better than Canada in terms of experience and limiting mistakes is the key.

Canada has the best player on the field in all 3 matches tho. Which is huge. We've seen Davies have the ability to win a game on his own which is super rare in soccer.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Better than Brasil Germany...
    Either way I think Canada would be in tough to move on.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Could have been worse for Canada, could have been better.
    I agree, there were worst draws for Canada.
    Better outcomes imo would have been groups A, B and C.
    Although I can't say how the pot system would have influenced the composition of them ultimately.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    I agree, there were worst draws for Canada.
    Better outcomes imo would have been groups A, B and C.
    Although I can't say how the pot system would have influenced the composition of them ultimately.
    And I know B wasn't allowed to happen with Canada/USA being on the same continent, they would have pushed them to C.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Canada has the best player on the field in all 3 matches tho. Which is huge. We've seen Davies have the ability to win a game on his own which is super rare in soccer.

I'm not sure I agree that Davies will be the best player on the pitch in all 3 games though.

De Bruyne and Modric are still world-class midfielders. Different impact than Alphonso but few can dictate the tempo of the game like they do. Plus, our defence has never seen that type of player in the CONCACAF qualifiers or elsewhere for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, Davies will be the ultimate difference-maker for us. If Canada manages to exploit the counter-attack with their speed upfront, they could do some damage against Belgium and Croatia. Their core players are getting old.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that Davies will be the best player on the pitch in all 3 games though.

De Bruyne and Modric are still world-class midfielders. Different impact than Alphonso but few can dictate the tempo of the game like they do. Plus, our defence has never seen that type of player in the CONCACAF qualifiers or elsewhere for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, Davies will be the ultimate difference-maker for us. If Canada manages to exploit the counter-attack with their speed upfront, they could do some damage against Belgium and Croatia. Their core players are getting old.
    Maybe "single player influencer" is the better way to say it. Out of all 4 teams, he can change the game more than anyone else in a single person factor.

Dobber Sports Genius

I can realistically see Canada getting at most 4 points here. They can beat Morocco even though they do have a few world class players. I can see them tying Croatia if they can play a smart speedy game against an aging team. I don’t think they can beat Belgium since they will be on a mission to win it all, last chance for their golden generation. My quick prediction is at most 4 points at worst 1 point.

It would be great if they got off to a hot start against Belgium though. Glad they didn’t end up with Brazil or the group with Spain/Germany.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

Yes so they have an easier time to make it to next round
    So hopefully this holds true in the next World Cup where Canada/US/Mexico host.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Genius

Exciting day and I'm glad I was able to catch a good part of the draw.

Forgot that Croatia was 2nd in the 2018 WC and Belgium was 3rd. Canada will be in tough. Spain or Germany would be waiting if they moved on.

Go Canada Go!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I can realistically see Canada getting at most 4 points here. They can beat Morocco even though they do have a few world class players. I can see them tying Croatia if they can play a smart speedy game against an aging team. I don’t think they can beat Belgium since they will be on a mission to win it all, last chance for their golden generation. My quick prediction is at most 4 points at worst 1 point.

It would be great if they got off to a hot start against Belgium though. Glad they didn’t end up with Brazil or the group with Spain/Germany.
    Thats optimistic.

I can see them get 1 pt, and maybe 2 goals in the tourney.

Everyone here on the sportsradio/tv praises Canada for how good theyve been. But theyve played horrible teams like panama and el salvador and the likes. When they play real teams, I can't see them be competitive tbh.

Morocco will be greatly underestimated.

Dobber Sports Genius

That’s fair, I agree with you that Morocco isn’t that bad but they’ve had a poor history at the World Cup. Their problem is that they think they are better than they actually are because they all think individually rather than play like a total team game. I can see at least a tie versus them.

Belgium, it’s the last World Cup for a golden generation of players. If they give up points to Canada they deserve to go out at group stage.

Croatia is the key here. Still have very good talent and one of the best midfielders in the world in Modric. However, an older Croatia might have a tricky time with a faster Canada squad.

Anyway you slice it, Canada has already won. Making the World Cup is a huge accomplishment. A couple of goals might be enough to get them a couple of points.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Giving you all a Croatian perspective, and no, I'm not Croatian. I can tell you guys that my Croatian friends are pretty happy with this draw.

Belgium is a team my buddies feel they match up reasonably well with, and there are far worse teams from pot 1 to get. Qatar would be of course, the dream, but only 1 of the 8 gets them.

In pot 3, Morocco is a good get. They traditionally don't do well at the World Cup, but have the individual skills to get out of Africa often enough.

In pot 4, Canada is one of the stronger teams, but there are other teams they would prefer to avoid. The whole Wales/Scotland/Ukraine triumvirate for varying reasons (Star quality, style, national pride during a war) although only 1 is going, my really good friend said that he's looking forward to that qualifying just because Ukraine Scotland, then winner versus Wales should be very good to watch. On the flip side, New Zealand/Costa Rica winner would be a desired matchup, with Saudi Arabia also weak.

Regarding the teams I root for:
    The US is in Group B, and it is going to be pretty weird with 4 teams that seem to pretty even, as England loves to choke. So the US is in decent shape, but could end up first or last - they do need to handle Iran.

Cameroon is in Group G, and I don't expect much out of them this time around, as the squad isn't as strong as it has been in the past. Hopeful they can maybe sneak second behind Brazil, since they get Brazil last, and Brazil may already be through.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Thats optimistic.

I can see them get 1 pt, and maybe 2 goals in the tourney.

Everyone here on the sportsradio/tv praises Canada for how good theyve been. But theyve played horrible teams like panama and el salvador and the likes. When they play real teams, I can't see them be competitive tbh.

Morocco will be greatly underestimated.
    You mean teams like US and Mexico who are both higher ranked than Croatia in FIFA rankings?

Yeah it'll be tough to make an impact, but they have beaten "good" teams to get there.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I’m sure the same people saying Canada will be lucky to get a point and score a couple goals are the same people who before qualifying started said they’d be lucky to get to 4th for a play in spot. Ultimately, Canada has shown the ability to be competitive and tactically sound on a world stage. They might lose all three. They could surprise and move to the round of 16. Were talking about the highest variant sport in an environment most teams will not be used to playing in. The team that just won the Euro and is the 6th ranked country in the world isn’t even in the tournament. The only thing I’m confident in is that Canada will be in competitive matches.