Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes working on deal to play at College Arena

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Coyotes working on deal to play at College Arena

The NHL is the only league that considers it a "big 4". The other 3 laugh at that notion.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    College student Buck-a-beer night might help?
    Alas, those draconian drinking age laws would get in the way of an otherwise excellent idea! I've been to a Hurricanes game and it didn't stop drunk students from attending, they just had to fully prime in the parking lot.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Alas, those draconian drinking age laws would get in the way of an otherwise excellent idea! I've been to a Hurricanes game and it didn't stop drunk students from attending, they just had to fully prime in the parking lot.
    College students can be 21 right?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

College students can be 21 right?
    Oh for sure, didn't mean to dismiss a great idea outright. Plus, if Bluto Blutarsky taught us anything.....

Dobber Sports Star

after digesting this for a little bit since this seemed just..... so dumb. 2 things come to mind

1. i understand their stubbornness to stay in arizona for one sole reason. Auston Matthews. he grew up there, hockey at the grassroots level is important and having someone as good as him come from Arizona is progress. By no means is he guaranteed to ever play there, but for kids dreaming to be the next Auston Matthews from a non-traditional market you need kids to believe they can do it by having a representative to look up to. Other than Auston, i really dont see much difference between Arizona and Atlanta.

2. how much will this effect the salary cap moving forward? They were projecting a possible 1m increase next season, theres no way it stays at the high end of possible forecasted salary cap figures in the coming years with a 3000-5000 attendance arena.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    after digesting this for a little bit since this seemed just..... so dumb. 2 things come to mind

1. i understand their stubbornness to stay in arizona for one sole reason. Auston Matthews. he grew up there, hockey at the grassroots level is important and having someone as good as him come from Arizona is progress. By no means is he guaranteed to ever play there, but for kids dreaming to be the next Auston Matthews from a non-traditional market you need kids to believe they can do it by having a representative to look up to. Other than Auston, i really dont see much difference between Arizona and Atlanta.

2. how much will this effect the salary cap moving forward? They were projecting a possible 1m increase next season, theres no way it stays at the high end of possible forecasted salary cap figures in the coming years with a 3000-5000 attendance arena.
    My counter point would be I wonder how much the Yotes actually lose on this deal. With the average attendance for a full NHL size arena, the operation cost would obviously be higher. The final cost after this could actually mean the team makes more than they did before (maybe lose less is a better way to say it). Filling a 5,000 seating arena with employees and utility operation costs might help it break even.

Dobber Sports Star

My counter point would be I wonder how much the Yotes actually lose on this deal. With the average attendance for a full NHL size arena, the operation cost would obviously be higher. The final cost after this could actually mean the team makes more than they did before (maybe lose less is a better way to say it). Filling a 5,000 seating arena with employees and utility operation costs might help it break even.
    definitely a valid point. if only the NHL would show the public their books? hahaha
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The Canada attendance restrictions are going to impact the salary cap a lot more than this arena move, for this year. For next year if teams like Florida and Carolina can stay good, while Montreal stays bad, that would help a lot too. If "non-traditional" markets stay good and have good attendance, the coyotes dropping from 11,000 to 3,000 wont hurt nearly as much.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dobber Sports Titan

As they shouldn't. They're the guests in the arena.

Dobber Sports Guru

Craig Morgan put on Twitter that it's not true.

"As for some interpretations that the Coyotes won't be able to put their logo at center ice at ASU's multi-purpose arena, that is incorrect.

Both teams' identities will be reflected.

All that the agreement stipulates is that the Coyotes cannot alter anything ASU puts into the ice."

Dobber Sports Veteran

He could be correct but anytime Katie Strang publishes something even remotely critical of the 'Yotes Craig Morgan will deny it until he can't. The team even uses Morgan to release statements on behalf of the team occasionally, recently when revealed they owed the state and city $1.3M for example.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...-shameless-lie

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am sure the city of Quebec doesn't care what logo is at centre Ice.

I bet Quebec would even let the team continue to be called the Arizona Coyotes as long as they are playing in Quebec!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I bet Quebec would even let the team continue to be called the Arizona Coyotes as long as they are playing in Quebec!
    Not a chance. This is a province where Montreal can't hire an English-only coach. They would rather not have a hockey team than have one with a English name.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Not a chance. This is a province where Montreal can't hire an English-only coach. They would rather not have a hockey team than have one with a English name.
    Okay... they might have to add an acute accent on the e at the end and make it a é

Then they could call them the Coyot
    és (Ky-O-Tays)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​