Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: David Ortiz elected to HOF

Dobber Sports Deity

Default David Ortiz elected to HOF

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/14861...nM9-ktrdw&s=19

Big love for Big Papi.

David Ortiz is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. https://t.co/wEtLLHalXv2
    Tests positive for a banned substance on a random test and is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Such a joke.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: David Ortiz elected to HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    https://twitter.com/MLB/status/14861...nM9-ktrdw&s=19

Tests positive for a banned substance on a random test and is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Such a joke.
    As a biased Red Sox fan, Ortiz is a first ballot Hall of Famer in my eyes! Big Papi is also a class act and MLB recognizes that as you could see by the respect he got from visiting ballparks on his victory lap.

Also, a quick google search will show that there are still questions around that whole situation:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...fame/91442256/
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2016/09/r...ositive_p.html
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    As a biased Red Sox fan, Ortiz is a first ballot Hall of Famer in my eyes! Big Papi is also a class act and MLB recognizes that as you could see by the respect he got from visiting ballparks on his victory lap.

Also, a quick google search will show that there are still questions around that whole situation:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...fame/91442256/
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2016/09/r...ositive_p.html
    Based on their accomplishments, Bonds and Clemens should have been 1st ballot too.

I'm sorry but voting him in and ignoring others who are "assumed" to have used banned substances (neither Bonds or Clemens were ever caught using banned substances) is just a joke.

I'm sure Ortiz is a nice guy, but you can't change the fact he is a proven steroid user. Baseball voters just opened a can here. You've got blinders on if you honestly think he didn't use roids.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Based on their accomplishments, Bonds and Clemens should have been 1st ballot too.

I'm sorry but voting him in and ignoring others who are "assumed" to have used banned substances (neither Bonds or Clemens were ever caught using banned substances) is just a joke.

I'm sure Ortiz is a nice guy, but you can't change the fact he is a proven steroid user. Baseball voters just opened a can here. You've got blinders on if you honestly think he didn't use roids.
    Agree agree agree. Lost any interest I had left in the HOF.

This article says it all...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lure-hall-fame

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Bonds and Clemens should have been first ballot too. People get very bent out of shape over PEDs but let's be real, PEDs only give guys a slight edge over their true peers. Clemens/Bonds/Ortiz all would likely be in the HOF without the use of PEDs. But people treat it as if you or I could get into the HOF if we started taking steroids.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Genius

Baseball is a joke. Hall of shame more like it.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think Bonds and Clemens should have been first ballot too. People get very bent out of shape over PEDs but let's be real, PEDs only give guys a slight edge over their true peers. Clemens/Bonds/Ortiz all would likely be in the HOF without the use of PEDs. But people treat it as if you or I could get into the HOF if we started taking steroids.
    I have to respectfully disagree. When you cheat, you should not be in the Hall. Plain and simple - doesn't matter how good you would have been without PEDs.

MLB is the biggest joke of all the professional sports leagues (well maybe except for FIFA).

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. When you cheat, you should not be in the Hall. Plain and simple - doesn't matter how good you would have been without PEDs.

MLB is the biggest joke of all the professional sports leagues (well maybe except for FIFA).
    An excerpt from the article above...

It's difficult to pinpoint what's most frustrating. Perhaps it's that there already are players in the Hall accused of using PEDs. Or that the commissioner whose tenure encompassed the entirety of the steroid era, Bud Selig, is himself enshrined. Or that generations of players before Bonds, including manifold Hall of Famers, popped amphetamines as part of their pregame routine. Or that others honored with bronze renderings include multiple racists, domestic abusers and even a player who last year resigned from the Hall's board of directors after a woman levied credible sexual misconduct allegations.

Dobber Sports Titan

Taking a drug that makes you better and takes achievements away from others is more accepted than betting on the sport you coach and betting on the team you coach to win.

You can't pick and choose cheaters and rule breakers for your HOF in my eyes. They all get in or none of them do. If Ortiz made his name in Seattle you wouldn't see him in the HOF I think. His appeal is that he's a RedSox.

Baseball in general is just scummy. They allow you to do anything until the public knows of the cheating then they care. Nothing new. So they league only cares about who gets into the HOF if the public cares and most didn't with Ortiz.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Bonds and Clemens were jerks to reporters and many fans over the years while Ortiz was a great guy. I suspect this played a major role. Obviously, Bonds and Clemens's careers speaks for themselves and everyone knows they are top 10ish players of all time. I definitely won't lose sleep over Bonds and Clemens not being in the HOF. It rather amuses me.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

I didn't realize how low of a WAR Ortiz actually had (55career WAR over 2,408 games). Which is jokes because Evan Longoria has a higher career WAR (57WAR over 1,823 games).

I know I know, stats can be twisted for whoever you want to look bad or good. Just kind of made me laugh.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Does this mean that Tom Brady should not be in the NFL Hall of Fame?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Does this mean that Tom Brady should not be in the NFL Hall of Fame?
    You’re trying to give me an aneurysm aren’t you PH?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hopefully they caught all the cheaters then (they didnt)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

You’re trying to give me an aneurysm aren’t you PH?
    No... not my intention at all.

My intention is to say... the NFL HOF would not be a true HOF if Tom Brady wasn't in there because of some inflated balls.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​