Thread: Giroux+ for Laine+

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Giroux+ for Laine+

In a previous post, I contemplated starting a re-tool in the league in my signature for a few reasons. Another GM and I were discussing a potential trade where I would get Laine, a 2022 2nd rd pick and a 2023 1st rd pick for my Giroux, Couture and a 2022 3rd round pick. While I was quite happy with this trade, the GM came back with an offer that would also give him my Toffoli for his Kaliyev and Alexeyev (but I'll try to get another prospect instead of the Washington D prospect - probably Dustin Wolf).

The full trade is: Giroux, Couture, Toffoli for Laine, Kaliyev, Alexeyev, 2022 2nd rd pick and 2023 1st rd pick

We talked about Kaliyev before, just not sure about Toffoli. Laine and Kaliyev should be the better players in 2-3 years. But I'm also shopping Krug and Kadri for prospects and picks. Given it is a 12 team dynasty, I'm afraid that messing up the first trade of a tentative retool would send my team spiralling toward a forever rebuild.

Perhaps my hesitation is more about going into my first re-tooling and willingly not trying to win even if I should make the playoffs - you never know what can happen once you made the playoffs!
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Giroux+ for Laine+

I like that deal for you

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think the deal is fine. You were happy with the smaller deal, and the expansion seems solid.

When you realize you need to make changes, make a deal you're happy with to start things off. I have had to retool 3 teams in the last few years, as I've taken over teams in dynasty leagues; I used to only be in 1 league. Got to 4 leagues last year, but 1 league died last year. However, I've never rebuilt a team I've had for a while, so I'm unsure how that goes. I wish you luck.

However, if you make the playoffs, you try and win them. By that I mean, you start your best lineups, and actively manage your team but not to the level where you're dropping keepers or anything that crazy.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    However, if you make the playoffs, you try and win them. By that I mean, you start your best lineups, and actively manage your team but not to the level where you're dropping keepers or anything that crazy.
    For the record, I didn't mean that I would be looking to blatantly tank in any way. Simply that this trade, and some others I am looking to make, would weaken my team in view of the playoffs. My team has better chance to make some noise with Giroux, Toffoli and Couture than with Laine and a bunch of futures. My point is that I'm struggling to commit to a retool and prepare for 2 or 3 years down the road when I still am in a good place in the standing. Just competing timeframes.

In any case, I am leaning toward accepting. Laine alone seems worth a gamble.
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoelands View Post
    For the record, I didn't mean that I would be looking to blatantly tank in any way. Simply that this trade, and some others I am looking to make, would weaken my team in view of the playoffs. My team has better chance to make some noise with Giroux, Toffoli and Couture than with Laine and a bunch of futures. My point is that I'm struggling to commit to a retool and prepare for 2 or 3 years down the road when I still am in a good place in the standing. Just competing timeframes.

In any case, I am leaning toward accepting. Laine alone seems worth a gamble.
    I completely agree with that stance on the hard decisions when you're in the middle ground. But you never know when your team will make noise unexpectedly. I took over a mediocre and somewhat old team when I joined a league via this forum. Tried to make some deals, notably dealing Letang, but the offers coming in I felt were terrible. So I basically used the wire to sneak into the playoffs, since dealing from weakness was clearly an issue. Ended up losing in the semis, then won the next year.

Good luck with the retool on the fly!
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.