Poll: When you click on a thread, do you read all the comments, skim the comments or just view the OP and

Thread: Read, Skim or Post?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Read, Skim or Post?

Have wondered this for awhile now - but a recent thread I was reading got me curious enough to make a post about it.

Including a poll for those who prefer.

Question is - when you click on a forum thread, do you read the entire discussion (e.g. what all others' have posted), skim (read the OP and do a quick scan of other answers before posting) or just the OP and then post your own thoughts?

For the sake of this particular poll, let's assume the discussion in question is NOT multi-page (or that you've been keeping up with it if it is a multi-page thread).

Anecdotally, it seems like I'll often read an almost identical post later in a thread without any reference to the earlier post. Not so much in the "make the trade" kinds of responses - but those that are asking for a bit more insight/thought/perspective.

Feel free to drop in your reasoning for your particular style/preference in the thread. (Including an 'other' option in case I missed a popular style).

Cheers -YL
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Read, Skim or Post?

Definitely a skimmer.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'll read all the comments if I click on the thread. I don't get out much, so I have plenty of time.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Superstar

I have 2 types of thread reviews. 1st is where I'm reading to gather information. Second is I'm anticipating posting/responding. 2nd is where I want to read replies to gather information/opinion.s

Gathering information
    1. Read the OP
    2. Read all the opinions.
    3. Hopefully gain some knowledge.

Giving Opinion
    1. Read title - in interested read OP.
    2. Read OP - if interested in responding I typically craft my response before reading other replies. First because its common nature to skip to responding, second to avoid group think on opinion/advice
    3. Craft Response.
    4. Read other responses to see if my opinion holds up or I am out to lunch.
    5. Potentially come back to see further responses.

I voted "POST"
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Monster

Most of the time skim. Depends how relevant the post is to me. If it's something where I need the info too I will read all the posts. But mostly I skim to make sure I'm not being overly repetitive or see if OP has posted again with more info, especially on trade offers.

It would be kind of funny if you put a hidden message towards the bottom of your post to see who REALLY skims

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hate skim milk and I am offended that you would even suggest it as an option.

Dobber Sports Icon

Little bit of all.

I’ll click if the title is something I’m familiar with and have reasonable knowledge of, read the OP, scrabble a response in my head, skim the responses to validate my response, post my response if it makes sense and it’s not a piling on situation.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Deity

If it's a new post I havent clicked on before, I'll read the OP and then post before reading anything else.

If it's a post I've already read and commented on, I'll click on the last post and scroll back to see what others are thinking. I might follow up after that but it depends on the replies I am reading.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

New post, I'll read the OP and formulate an opinion. Then I'll read the others, and then if I have something meaningful to say or if there aren't a lot of responses and another opinion might be helpful, then I'll post. I read the others because even with what I think my hockey acumen is, I recognize that this community has an echelon of hockey observers and fantasy hockey players who are substantially more knowledgeable than I and often they bring perspectives and facts that I didn't know and help me make a more-informed response to a post.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm generally going to post after reading the original post, if there's enough information. If it needs more information, it's time to read for further information. I read fast enough that I pretty much never skim anything.

If it's a trade thread, I will look to see if it's been consummated, then post. I will use quote and rep if somebody posted what I think, so I can just quote and give credit that I think that way.

I only play dynasty hockey, and one league is super-deep, so almost every player discussed in the forums might be relevant.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Interesting results so far. And GREAT explanations peeps thanks!

Keep 'em coming.

Maxed out my rep for the day but will circle back to Senryu and SG tomorrow!

(Just realized some won't actually read this post anyways lol)
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Veteran

If the Title of post piques my interest (players I have, players I’m seeking, general fantasy hockey knowledge), I’ll read the entire OP post.
    I formulate my response then read all the posts. Then post.
    I refer back to see other responses especially if it is a trade thread or new information is posted which would alter my initial post/response.
    Cheers
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Recruit

Honestly, when there is a big branch, so I read the first and last posts. Who does it too? Maybe I'm just a lazy person. lol