Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UK to lift all plan B covid restrictions in act of true leadership!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: UK to lift all plan B covid restrictions in act of true leadership!

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    It's not the UK, it's England only. The devolved administrations e.g. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland largely make their own decisions regarding covid.

Second point, it's Boris ****ing Johnson. You shouldn't be using him as an example.He's a corrupt, incompetent blowhard that is trying to save his job.
    Show me a politician who isn't.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I'm not generalising, yes literally trying to save his job. There is a ton of shit happening over here that if you knew, explains a lot about this timing. But I don't have the energy to go into it here now. From someone who lives here, this should not be used as an example.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Omicron is proving to be a mild form of Covid. The other variants were much more deadly. Things are constantly changing. I think this is also Boris Johnson and his government looking to boost their approval rating after their latest scandal. So, maybe Omicron can be treated like the "flu"? Guess we about to find out. I can live with the English being the guinea pigs if they so choose and I hope they are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Take note Canada.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...cases-vaccine/

"Instead we must learn to live with Covid in the same way we have to live with flu."

Well no sh!t. A lot of people are going to be real sad that covid is over and they can't huddle in their basements any more in fear. I think this should set things in motion here as well but our cowardly government will lag behind at least a half a year if not longer.

Dobber Sports Veteran

A challenge no doubt but I know for a fact they mobilized other health workers in unrelated areas such as speech therapy etc to work on the pandemic. Also how much care are these nurses really giving to patients, again what is the protocol? Could we not write pretty simple instructions, keep people comfortable and away from society?

Also could we of ignored the general public and zeroed in on individuals of certain age demographics or of known health issues. Reached out to these people directly through both mass messages, and individual follow up. Worked on getting our vulnerable personal care, vaccinated or isolated?

Instead our response was shut down everything. Pay billions to companies and employees for them not to work. Waste people's life's essentially, limiting their ability to live a normal life.
    I strongly encourage you to challenge yourself and try to believe the following:
    - The world is not as simple as it looks
    - Lots of things happen behind the scenes you are unaware of
    - There are incredibly intelligent, talented, competent people in various sectors, government, etc. working on issues like this and consider different ways to approach the issue
    - To repeat, the world is not as simple as it looks. If you think there is some obvious thing they could have done, chances are you are the one lacking in information--not them.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's called a hyperbole. Either way things have gotten and will continue to get more expensive. I know you have a strong opposition to my opinion on Covid. Can I ask you sincerely what is your stance? I guess could be even more direct, what are your thoughts based on these questions?

- The severity of Covid-19. How big of the deal was the virus to begin with?
    - Our governments response to it?
    - What do you think the go forward plan should be?

I fully expect you to give me an off handed comment about how your not an medical expert and it's none of my business what your opinion is but if you can manage to not give an inflammatory response to somebody, I would general be interested in what you have to say.
    I will respond using US data, because it's easier to procure.

1. Since Covid started, the virus is the second leading cause of death in the US in non pandemic times. Second leading cause of death. To properly process this, what this means is if you look at causes of death in 2019, prior to Covid, annualized covid deaths would rank second. Even with all of the restrictions implemented. Hard to imagine what would have happened if we didn't treat it like a big deal.

2. All governments have had a tough time. There isn't a playbook for this. They've made lots of mistakes. They've done lots of things I agree with and lots of things I disagree with. For the most part, what I disagree with is slowness to act, which is a problem with most governmental agencies. Restrictions should be loosened much more when things are fine, and tightened much quicker when things get bad. I think most people's mental health would be in a significantly better place if they were dealing with much shorter, stricter lockdowns with the trade off of being able to live more freely when not locked down. For the most part however, they've done fine. They've also regular put too much onus on business and minimum wage workers to enforce their restrictions. Small business bailouts are good, big business bailouts are unnecessary, most of the CERB payments were fine even if they went on a little too long.

3. Eventually we will have to live with covid. Despite what extremists want to think/tell themselves/convince themselves, nobody is "going to be real sad when covid is over and they cant huddle in their basements in fear". Nobody wants to keep doing this. Every person in the world has a different risk tolerance, and therefore they have a different comfort level around covid and "living life". Eventually covid will be endemic. The UK thinks that is now. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're wrong. We'll find out in the coming months. Alberta thought it was endemic last August and they were wrong.

Most/all restrictions should be with the goal of keeping hospitals from getting overrun, which naturally leads to the goal of keeping people alive. As every country has a different healthcare system, the restrictions or lack there of that each country institutes will/should be different. No matter what, the earliest movers on aggressive loosening of protocols will be criticized for being too soon. That criticism may be valid and it may end up being wrong and we wont know until it plays out. Marco Rossi almost lost his career and potentially his life due to covid. If 20 NHLers have to retire because of myocarditis or some other side effect, then you could speculate that the NHL changes to testing protocol is too soon. If nothing bad happens then you can probably say it was fine. In the moment I think the move is fine but that doesn't mean it can't be wrong in hindsight.

A challenge no doubt but I know for a fact they mobilized other health workers in unrelated areas such as speech therapy etc to work on the pandemic. Also how much care are these nurses really giving to patients, again what is the protocol? Could we not write pretty simple instructions, keep people comfortable and away from society?

Also could we of ignored the general public and zeroed in on individuals of certain age demographics or of known health issues. Reached out to these people directly through both mass messages, and individual follow up. Worked on getting our vulnerable personal care, vaccinated or isolated?

Instead our response was shut down everything. Pay billions to companies and employees for them not to work. Waste people's life's essentially, limiting their ability to live a normal life.
    And just FWIW, no, none of it is this simple.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I will respond using US data, because it's easier to procure.

1. Since Covid started, the virus is the second leading cause of death in the US in non pandemic times. Second leading cause of death. To properly process this, what this means is if you look at causes of death in 2019, prior to Covid, annualized covid deaths would rank second. Even with all of the restrictions implemented. Hard to imagine what would have happened if we didn't treat it like a big deal.

2. All governments have had a tough time. There isn't a playbook for this. They've made lots of mistakes. They've done lots of things I agree with and lots of things I disagree with. For the most part, what I disagree with is slowness to act, which is a problem with most governmental agencies. Restrictions should be loosened much more when things are fine, and tightened much quicker when things get bad. I think most people's mental health would be in a significantly better place if they were dealing with much shorter, stricter lockdowns with the trade off of being able to live more freely when not locked down. For the most part however, they've done fine. They've also regular put too much onus on business and minimum wage workers to enforce their restrictions. Small business bailouts are good, big business bailouts are unnecessary, most of the CERB payments were fine even if they went on a little too long.

3. Eventually we will have to live with covid. Despite what extremists want to think/tell themselves/convince themselves, nobody is "going to be real sad when covid is over and they cant huddle in their basements in fear". Nobody wants to keep doing this. Every person in the world has a different risk tolerance, and therefore they have a different comfort level around covid and "living life". Eventually covid will be endemic. The UK thinks that is now. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're wrong. We'll find out in the coming months. Alberta thought it was endemic last August and they were wrong.

Most/all restrictions should be with the goal of keeping hospitals from getting overrun, which naturally leads to the goal of keeping people alive. As every country has a different healthcare system, the restrictions or lack there of that each country institutes will/should be different. No matter what, the earliest movers on aggressive loosening of protocols will be criticized for being too soon. That criticism may be valid and it may end up being wrong and we wont know until it plays out. Marco Rossi almost lost his career and potentially his life due to covid. If 20 NHLers have to retire because of myocarditis or some other side effect, then you could speculate that the NHL changes to testing protocol is too soon. If nothing bad happens then you can probably say it was fine. In the moment I think the move is fine but that doesn't mean it can't be wrong in hindsight.
    Awesome thanks man. I was going to give you rep but I can't right now. I appreciate this response and I certainly see your point of view. I see points of view from both sides to be honest. It's the extremes that I find ridiculous. There's people who would have us locked down forever. Who test themselves everyday with no known exposure or symptoms. Then there are people on the other side who think this is all some global conspiracy and that we will eventually all be living in camps.

The conversation should be able to be had in the middle respectfully. Does the media sometimes play on peoples fears to gain more advertising revenue and views? Yes. If you google covid today you get more articles about some Czech folk singer I have never heard of who died of covid instead of news of UK's plan to get rid of restrictions. However, does that mean the lizard people are taking over? No of coarse not. The truth usually lies in the middle.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Padawan

Canucks_f18...
    ..."There's people who would have us locked down forever. Who test themselves everyday with no known exposure or symptoms."
    Do YOU ACTUALLY KNOW people like this "who would have us locked down forever" and "Who test themselves everyday with no known exposure or symptoms". I do know people with lung conditions who ARE very careful following the experts thoughts on proper masking etc. but want this to end not be "locked down forever".

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Canucks_f18...
    ..."There's people who would have us locked down forever. Who test themselves everyday with no known exposure or symptoms."
    Do YOU ACTUALLY KNOW people like this "who would have us locked down forever" and "Who test themselves everyday with no known exposure or symptoms". I do know people with lung conditions who ARE very careful following the experts thoughts on proper masking etc. but want this to end not be "locked down forever".
    100% I do. I have seen it first hand. I won't say why but I have to deal with these scenarios from time to time in real life and I have had people tell me they have taken rapid test after rapid test even though they keep testing negative and are not showing any symptoms.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Right now, I'd say the PM of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, is seen as competent and is pretty secure in her job.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

100% I do. I have seen it first hand. I won't say why but I have to deal with these scenarios from time to time in real life and I have had people tell me they have taken rapid test after rapid test even though they keep testing negative and are not showing any symptoms.
    Yes, OCD exists. Germaphobia is a thing that exists. They're both mental health illnesses. There are people who have to knock on a door 3 times every time they knock on the door. It's no different.

I highly doubt you know anyone who WANT to be locked down for the sake of being locked down forever. You COULD know people who are so scared of Covid that they don't want to go outside of their house, but I highly highly doubt you know anyone who prefers a fully locked down society indefinitely for no reason.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the response. Well, at least they keep testing negative. and they must have some $$$ to spend on all these tests. Honestly, don't call me crazy...and I don't do it....I do believe that testing every day or 2 is the only way to find out if you have Covid in it's earliest stages and can take measures to not spread it further. I think testing every 7 days gives a person time to contract it and be a spreader before the next test. I don't know of anyone who wants us locked down forever.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Can we merge this with the other lunatic thread to keep them all in one cesspool?
    Can you show some self control?

This is great news, canada also approved the phizer pill for the weak and unfortunate so maybe canada can be next.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Can you show some self control?

This is great news, canada also approved the phizer pill for the weak and unfortunate so maybe canada can be next.
    This is showing self control. You have no idea what I have to deal with

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    As of today a loaf of bread at superstore is $3.00 and a 4L jug of milk is $4.65

If inflation was 15% a year bread and milk wouldn’t reach those prices until 2028. Since 1960 Canada has never experienced a single year of 15% inflation, let alone a sustained period.

If inflation was 10% a year bread and milk wouldn’t reach those prices until 2031. Canada has had one sustained period of 10% inflation, from 1974-1982. That time period would still not take us from today until 2031.

For fun, inflation would have to be 130% for bread and milk to reach those prices next year.

I’ll take the under on $7 bread and $10 milk.
    Your generalizing inflation to loaf of bread and milk?