Thread: Keeper help - how viable are cheap goalies in auction keepers?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper help - how viable are cheap goalies in auction keepers?

Hi all,
    Team in sig.

Right now I'm 2nd of 12, but when my GP catch up with the first-place team I'll overtake them. I just traded for M Tkachuk and Pietrangelo for junk and $25 in 2023 auction cash.

Right now my keepers (with inflation added) would be:

Jarry - $9
    Markstrom - $10
    Kadri - $4

With a few others in consideration - Batherson $4, Weegar $7 (v valuable with blocks/hits/+-).

I'm in talks to trade cash, Kadri and junk for Freddie Andersen, Rantanen and Kucherov, and my keepers then could be:

Jarry - $9
    Markstrom - $10
    Andersen - $16

Would this be a terrible strat, given that I'd be drafting next year starting with $325 - $350, and the bottom teams would be drafting with $450? I feel like the general vibe in the forum is not to keep goalies, but I also think this would almost guarantee me the league this year, have a good shot at locking up all my goalie categories next year and leave enough auction cash to put together a half-decent team next year.

Thoughts?
    12-team, Keep 3 (2 years max with inflation) Auction Roto, 14-cat (10 skater, 4 goalie). $400 bank for auction.
    F: Kaprizov, Huberdeau, M Tkachuk, B Tkachuk, Connor, Kadri, Debrincat, Kuznetsov, Batherson, Strome, Barbashev, Granlund, Couture
    D: Hamilton, Pietrangelo, Weegar, Karlsson, Chabot
    G: Markstrom, Jarry, Kahkhonen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Keeper help - how viable are cheap goalies in auction keepers?

This is really a two-part question.

Part 1: Does this deal help you win your league? If yes, it's fine. However, you may find that Kadri, much less cash & junk for the skaters is better for you.

Part 2: Keeper strategy. Are cheap goalie keepers viable in auction leagues? of course. Cheap auction keepers are king. But, there is simply no way I go into a league keeping 3 goalies in a keep 3, unless it's Hasek/Roy/Brodeur or the like, and the format is good for that, which honestly it basically almost never would be that way. Note that I used to have Hasek/Roy in the dynasty in sig for as long as they were active from first draft, so I'm not remotely shy about keeping goalies.

The issue here is this format is that you are short dollars, and dealing with people keeping cheap skater keepers, so you are facing more skater inflation, plus the $1 golaie flyer isn't really an option for you when you're full on a position. Analyze the last few drafts and see how many goalies go for above $16, and exclude Vas/Helle. You may find that Andersen isn't that much of a discount. In auction league you want value contracts, and you have some solid values that you mention.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.