Thread: New League Rank em

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default New League Rank em

24 Team Dynasty with cap (100M) - H2H Cats - G, A, STP, SOG, HIT, BLK, FOW, W, GAA, SV%

Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4 Bench

Have a league that is starting for the 2022-23 season but is drafting soon. We started out by selecting a team so I'm working from a base of Tomasino, Josi, Saros and Askarov.

I pick 5th in the draft and while I see a clear top 4 available (Draisaitl, Rantanen, Huberdeau, Svechnikov) but I'm torn with what to do at 5.

Options as I see them are:

1) Raymond - Costs 925k for the next two seasons and is looking to be great - not great for hits/blks

2) Ovi - best player available but also one of the most expensive

3) Marchand - good middle-ground between Raymond and Ovi salary wise

4) Sorokin - There are only 7 goalies left from dobber's top two tiers (and bob/price are effectively priced out of a cap league) and we have to meet two starts a week, so I can't always rely on Saros alone. Getting Sorokin establishes my goaltending very well for the forseeable future.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: New League Rank em

Assuming this is a Dynasty and you are able to keep players as long as you like - my thoughts as follows.

With 24 teams this positions you need 1 stud goalie (with only 2 starts per week) as 1/3 of all categories are based on Goalies. My other worry is that Goalies are not nearly as reliable long term as Top Tier skaters, and having 2 of your top keepers being Goalies is really risky (you will be chasing all other categories as your starting skaters are not Tier 1 aside from possibly Josi). Based on who you are starting with, I think your bigger need is to pick-up offensive players over another goalie. You then need to decide am I in a Win Now or Build for the Future mode and then decide who you will select. Based on your 4 keepers it looks like you are in more of a "build for the future" and based on this I would seriously consider Raymond. I am curious about who else is available and how you locked in on these 4 players.

If you think you can draft Ovechkin or Marchand and flip him for a better player than Raymond, this would be my choice as in early rounds I like to take the "Best Player Available" which then allows you more flexibility to make moves to build the best possible team.
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by IngeTheHammerStrom View Post
    Assuming this is a Dynasty and you are able to keep players as long as you like - my thoughts as follows.

I am curious about who else is available and how you locked in on these 4 players.
    I locked on those 4 based on the idea that it was easier to identify strategies first and then find the best player fitting each.

Here's a list of top 10 available per fantrax's scoring by position:

C: Draisaitl, Miller, Stamkos, Bergeron, Kopitar, Kadri, Tavares, Hertl, Pavelski, Kuznetsov
    LW: Draisaitl, Miller, Ovi, Kreider, Huberdeau, Meier, Landeskog, Marchand, Jenner, Giroux
    RW: Stamkos, Kreider, Rantanen, Pavelski, Meier, Lindholm, Bennett, Granlund, Hartman, Senko
    D: Weegar, Pietrangelo, Trouba, Jones, Burns, Carlson, Roy, Johnson, Werenski, Fowler
    G: Markstrom, Bobrovsky, Fleury, Sorokin, Quick, Hart, Talbot, Reimer, Ullmark, Hill

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First, I have a weird question. Was someone stupid enough to take the Oilers and not take Draisiatl? I don't see McDavid available. If so, that guy is the guy you want to target as the dumb owner in the league.

I think I'd lean towards taking Sorokin if he's there, and make a deal giving him up for picks/players. However, see what it costs to move up, as say, Askarov and your #5 may get you to #1 or something. If any of the teams in front of you lack goalies, talking goalies up may help.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First, I have a weird question. Was someone stupid enough to take the Oilers and not take Draisiatl? I don't see McDavid available. If so, that guy is the guy you want to target as the dumb owner in the league.
    Based on the OP, I would imagine GMs could keep 1 forward, 1 dman, 1 goalie and 1 prospect from their selected team.

Your team needs forwards regardless of when you want to try and win. I would easily go with Ovechkin or Marchand.