Thread: Should I trade for Binnington?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Should I trade for Binnington?

Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice regarding a trade in a keeper dynasty league. Bear with me here, it requires some explanation. I recently took over a team this year that finished 6th place last year. The ctageories are as follows: G, A, +/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK. Goalie categories are: GS,W, GA, SA SV, SV%. the roster is:

Wennberg, Toews, Newhook, Donskoi, Burakovsky, Vatrano, Jarnkrok, Kubalik, Saad, Skinner, Tavares, Backstrom, Bertuzzi, Bjorkstrand, Kuraly

Brodie, Schmidt, Zadoriv, Dunn, Brannstrom, Leddy

Fleury, Mrazek, Wedgewood, Forsberg

Robertson (NA), Denisenko (NA), Prosvetov (NA), Gaudreau (NA)

As you can see, the team is not very good. It finished 6th last year and I am sitting at 2-8-3 in 18th/20, having just picked up my second win of the season thanks to Fleury. Goaltending is the team's biggest weakness and , aside from Mrazek, I'm not sure I will have an NHL starter next year or reach the required 2 starts per week. I have 2 good prospects in Gaudreau and Prosvetov, but they're a year away. My team has been on fire the last week and I was hoping to sit pretty and earn a high draft pick nest year-it's a one round prospect pick. The team that gets the first pick is determined by adding up the win-loss-tie record of the bottom 3 teams. This means no matter what, I'd be guaranteed a top 3 prospect, as I don't think ill make the playoffs. You keep your entire 23 man roster + up to 5 NA spots, and I have Ben Brisson stashed away.

Prior to Fleury's current hot streak, I was pretty desperate to address the goaltending, so I offered a guy in my league my draft pick + Kubalik for Binnington- he's a decent goalie who has term for a keeper which is good and no competition yet. He declined since he wanted newhook insead of kubalik.

However, today he sent me the same offer saying he has too many goalies ( his others are Francouz, Husso, Nedjelkovic, Reimer).

All this to say: Am I silly for not taking this deal? Even if fleury stays or gets traded, it's not a certain thing. Would it be worth giving up a top 3 pick? I still have great prospects coming up! What do you guys think?
    20-team dynasty cats League, Daily sets
    25 keepers, 2 rookies
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP,GWG, FOW, Hits, BLKS, SOG, Goalie starts,GAA,SV%,SVS,W,

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

D: Dunn, Moser, Matheson, Mintyukov

G: Binnington, Fleury, Forsberg, Dostal, Rittich
    NA: Sogaard, Denisenko, Annunen

The Great One

Default Re: Should I trade for Binnington?

He thinks Binnington is losing his grip on the starting gig. So he sent the Kubalik or the Newhook offer?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    He thinks Binnington is losing his grip on the starting gig. So he sent the Kubalik or the Newhook offer?
    Sorry shoukdve clarified-the Kubalik offer!

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think Binnington is worth a top 3 pick in this year's entry draft so I would either shop the pick for a better goalie or keep the pick. I would think you can get a decent starter for a much lower cost than a top 3 pick in the draft. I also don't think I'd want to move a top 3 pick for a goalie as goalies are much too volatile. Keep the pick and use a different asset to get a decent back up goalie.

The Magnificent One

Binnington's value has never been lower. That doesn't mean it will rebound, and it could worsen. With a team like yours though, I'd probably try to roll the dice. You need impact players and this gives you the chance to get one. Also, if he does turn things around he could be a trade chip for you in the future. These things all having been said, he's not likely to move the needle much for you overall, so you may want to work more on a pure rebuild, which is something Binnington wouldn't really help with.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Agree, that I think with Binnington not playing well and Husso pushing for starts that he thinks Binnington is losing his grip on the starting role. I also would not give up a top 3 pick in next year's draft right now, a draft that is looking pretty top heavy with Wright, Savoie, Nemec, Lambert, Cooley; or in 2023 with Bedard on his way up. You should be able to land great prospects in the next 2 years.

That team looks like you're going to need some time to rebuild it with the number of teams in your league and its going to have to happen through the draft and with some shrewd trades of aging veterans who are definitely not in your window... as you just took over a new team, I'd really hold off on making any moves of any player under 25-26 years old right now - especially until after you deal with trading off the old guys. If you're looking for a goalie, you really need to look at your window which might be a couple years out - goalie prospects are such a crap shoot but Gaudreau and Prosvetov are more in your competition window if you think they're at least a year out. Not sure how the payouts work in this league but in most fantasy leagues, "If you're not first, you're last." (and you're pretty far from first right now).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wouldn't trade that for Binnington right now. His value is down, and I feel that the team needs too much overall to deal your pick.

See if Francouz or Ned comes significantly cheaper. You could also off Fleury to him, and see if you can get Ned + something.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm passing on this. Simply put, Binnington is a huge risk and not worth that high draft pick IMO. This team needs a lot of work, you are going to have to build and I would humbly suggest that building around that draft pick rather than a very average and wildly inconsistent and injury prone goaltender is the way to go. I agree with others, the Binnington owner is trying to cut bait and with good reason. Don't go there.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Given the help your team needs; trading a top 3 pick heck even a top 5 pick is a bad move for mediocre goalie.

If you were talking about Vasy, Helly, Saros or Shesterkin. That would be a complete different outcome and story.

Hold your draft pick and use to help build your team, don't waste it on a middle of the pack starter, who is barely holding onto that starters gig.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks guys! I ended up passing, and managed to snag both Lankinen (now I have all CHicago games + a potential starter next year) and Khudobin off the waiver wire to hold onto in case he gets traded!
    25 keepers, 2 rookies

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stefan17 View Post
    Thanks guys! I ended up passing, and managed to snag both Lankinen (now I have all CHicago games + a potential starter next year) and Khudobin off the waiver wire to hold onto in case he gets traded!
    Both of these are bad moves.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Both of these are bad moves.
    Not that I disagree, but mind if i get your take on it? The way I see it, I don't really have a choice at this time! There's nobody else left to grab and i'm concerned about meeting my weekly starts (granted, it's only 2 but still). I'm still thinking about possibly targeting a goalie in a trade, but I know it's going to cost me big time, so this should hold me over at least for a bit. I know Lankinen is not good, but at least it's something, and most likely a starting goalie for next season-something I don't have at the moment! Aside from Mrazek, I need a goalie keeper who's going to play next year, and Fleury is up in the air at this point.

My team has also struggled with offence, so I would be leery of trading one of my big guys (like newhook, Tavares, Backstrom, etc) for a goalie!
    25 keepers, 2 rookies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In the position you are in with this team, Tavares, Backstrom and Toews are exactly who I'd be shopping for young studs and top picks to competing teams. You can handle another bad year next year because you definitely want a chance at Bedard/Michkov in the position you're in (preferably Bedard because Michkov is signed in Russia for far too long). Also, if someone who is competing has a goalie fall to injury, why not trade them Fleury?

I know your league is deep, but how many waiver pickups do you get? Are there younger players available that you could be grabbing over two goalies that won't see a lot of ice time?

Oh and to answer your original question I would not be shopping that pick if I'm in your position. Especially not for a goalie like Binnington.

Weekly H2H, Points Only, Keeper League - 10 team - Keep 14 (+ 2 rookies, under 25 GP) - dress 12 F, 6 D, 2 G (Wins: 2 pts, OTL: 1 pt, SO: 1 pt) - 30 Roster max w/ 1 IR spot which opens up one roster spot.

FW: Aho, Eichel, Draisatl, Rantanen, Marchand, Matthews, Kyrou, J. Robertson, Bergeron, Duchene, Boldy, Toffoli, Kempe, Krejci, Schmaltz

D: Rielly, Heiskenen, Dobson, Drysdale, Byram, Nurse, Weegar, Matheson, Clarke

G: Andersen, Georgiev, Francouz, Kotchetkov, Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mdratch View Post
    In the position you are in with this team, Tavares, Backstrom and Toews are exactly who I'd be shopping for young studs and top picks to competing teams. You can handle another bad year next year because you definitely want a chance at Bedard/Michkov in the position you're in (preferably Bedard because Michkov is signed in Russia for far too long). Also, if someone who is competing has a goalie fall to injury, why not trade them Fleury?

I know your league is deep, but how many waiver pickups do you get? Are there younger players available that you could be grabbing over two goalies that won't see a lot of ice time?

Oh and to answer your original question I would not be shopping that pick if I'm in your position. Especially not for a goalie like Binnington.
    Thanks for the reply! We get unlimited pickups! I have 1 more NA spot available which I will probably drop Khudobin down the road for and grab a young player like Olausson or Beaucage. Unfortunately, the wire is very thin so the only way ill get good players is either by trade or draft. I don't think anyone will want Toews, and Backstroms value is super low because of injuries, but I could try shopping Tavares and seeing what I can get for him! Who would you say are some ideal young guys to go after that I could realistically get for Tavares? I don't do many trades, so unfortunately i'm not great at assessing value :/

That being said, I have some good young players in Denisenko, Brisson and Robertson waiting in the wings!
    25 keepers, 2 rookies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by stefan17 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! We get unlimited pickups! I have 1 more NA spot available which I will probably drop Khudobin down the road for and grab a young player like Olausson or Beaucage. Unfortunately, the wire is very thin so the only way ill get good players is either by trade or draft. I don't think anyone will want Toews, and Backstroms value is super low because of injuries, but I could try shopping Tavares and seeing what I can get for him! Who would you say are some ideal young guys to go after that I could realistically get for Tavares? I don't do many trades, so unfortunately i'm not great at assessing value :/

That being said, I have some good young players in Denisenko, Brisson and Robertson waiting in the wings!
    Yeah I would be waiting likely until Backstrom starts early next year hot and healthy, and shop him around the 20ish game mark. This season he probably doesn't hold as much value as he should. Tavares is still a point per game player and probably will be for a few more seasons. I'd expect back a pretty darn good package for someone like that in such a deep league. I don't know exactly what value he holds in the league but I guess I would be aiming for someone like Zegras (although I think that's unrealistic at this point) OR something like a 1st, an under performing young stud like Caufield and maybe a top goalie/D prospect or top unsigned prospect? But I'd probably shop him to the top teams and see what type of offers they send your way! I don't know if my valuation is totally off or not so be nice :P. I'm genuinely pretty willing to trade established guys for prospects I'm super high on if I'm not competing.

People competing for the win can get desperate and I think it's genuinely the best time to make trades as you have all the leverage. And the people here are happy to check out your offers so feel free to share them before accepting anything!

Edit: I realized after I wrote that, that a 1st from a competing team wouldn't be worth much considering there are 500 players kept at season's end lol. So think bigger