Thread: Ville Husso

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ville Husso

What's the overall outlook for Husso moving forward would you guys say?

He's looking phenomenal and I know Dobber has talked about him for quite a while but it's a small sample size. Any chance whatsoever he's a starter somewhere next year or should I assume he extends in St. Louis and is a tandem/backup again?

Basically, is he anything special? Worth stashing?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Ville Husso

Well, it seems like goalies now are more the team infront of them than the talent difference.

That might be the wrong way to say it. But, with how well goalies are now, and the indifference between the 8th goalie and 40th goalie in the league, it's really about how the team plays in front of him, and between the ears.

Binnington hasn't shown he's a locked in G1 for the Blues in 2-3yrs with a 910s% and 2.69GAA in his last 114gp, and a 50.4% quality start percentage during that time. He isn't bad at all, but his play is definitely providing someone else to come in to take his role if the team is winning.

Husso this yr, has opened that door more. I think he'll start to eat those starts away from Binnington. As for next yr, as a 27yr old UFA goalie...he'll get 1B talk. Or he'll go to a situation where the starter is up for grabs. He's not a lock for it, and with goalies going to new teams it's always a question on if they fit there or not.

He's a risky addition to a fantasy team with limited keepers if you're hoping he turns into a G1 on a new team in 2022-23 season. But it's goalies and they're weird as heck. He could literally turn into a top 5 goalie and I wouldn't be too shocked now.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

He's a UFA at seasons end so who knows what happens. Safe to say Binnington is the 1A there based on his contract. It will depend on what options present itself in the off-season, or Husso is willing to accept being a 1B in STL and re-signs there.

Too early to say at this point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the input, guys. Totally very early, he's played like 10 games this year , just wanted to see if he has starter upside in him or if it's probably a waste of time. I've never ever liked Binnington but that contract ensures he's the guy that's for sure.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by iglooinhabitant View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Totally very early, he's played like 10 games this year , just wanted to see if he has starter upside in him or if it's probably a waste of time. I've never ever liked Binnington but that contract ensures he's the guy that's for sure.
    He's getting to that age where it's make or break for him to be a legit NHL starter. There's a few teams he'd be an upgrade to (EDM and BUF come to mind) and could walk in as their 1A next year but who knows.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

If you have been on these message forums for more than a few days, you likely know how I feel about Husso. He's a better goalie than Binnington. Whether the Blues realize their mistake with Binnington's contract and allow Husso to take over the job remains to be seen. Husso definitely has the ability and the skill to be a quality starting goalie in the NHL. He was a highly ranked prospect for a long time before he suffered a serious injury (the year Binnington got his call up).

I have no idea what or where his next contract will look like but I think he will be at worst a 1B next season.

(I have been saying that Husso would take over the starting role in St Louis for at least the past 3 seasons)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by iglooinhabitant View Post
    Husso was the goalie of the future before Binnington got hot and won them a Cup. It would not surprise me in the least to see Husso take the reins in St. Louis. Obviously, with Binnington's contract Husso will have to clearly win the spot but Binnington has not been very good this season. And the Blues are definitely a win-now team. Their forward depth is fantastic. If they can make a move to shore up their blueline and have either Husso or Binnington give them average goaltending, then the Blues could make a deep playoff run. And they are a helluva lot of fun to watch. Besides Toronto, St. Louis is just about my favorite team to watch right now.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Colorado has 2 pending UFA's in Kuemper and Francouz. When thinking about stashing a G, the fact is any goalie who ends up in Colorado next year could go from garbage to stud.
    Weekly H2H 4gm/week 14 Teams,21 Player roster+3 protected prospects
    20wk Reg season+3Rd of Playoff
    Keep 10

G+A=1pt, Dman G+A=1.5pt, PPG=1pt, PPA=0.5pt, SHG=1pt, SHA=0.5pt, ShootoutG=0.25pt, GWG=1pt, Hatty=3pt, DMan Hatty=5pt, +/- (For D only)=+/- 0.5pt, W=2pt, L=-1pt, OTL=1pt, ShootoutL=0.5pt, SO=1pt, S=0.1pt, GA=-0.5pt, Goalie Goal=5pt

Play 2C 2LW 2RW 3F 3D 2G
    C:Zibanejad Stamkos Schmaltz
    LW:Panarin Kaprizov Bunting Barbashev D.Strome
    RW:Keller Terry Necas Kakko Raddysh
    D: Carlson Theodore Morrissey Matheson
    G:Vasilevskiy Sorokin Merzlikins Johansson
    Prospects: Miroshnichenko Dostal Commesso

The Great One

What makes it hard for me to answer to OP is that I don't know the opportunity cost of "stashing" someone.

If you have an empty spot that's wasting away, there is likely no harm in gambling on Husso and his next contract.

But it's next to impossible to evaluate if you can use that spot better, since I know nothing about your team, league, settings or rules.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I sent a big offer for Husso today that actually got rejected. The offer was Klingberg, Kylington, C.Smith, 2 1st round picks for Husso and a 2nd round pick.
    Head-to-Head/ yahoo/ 16 teams/ dynasty league

C, C, C, C,
    LW, LW, LW, LW,
    RW, RW, RW, RW,
    D, D, D, D, D, D,
    G, G,
    BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN,
    IR, IR,
    IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+,
    NA, NA, NA, NA, NA

(G), (A), (PIM), (PPP), (SOG), (HIT), (BLK)

(W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Husso was the goalie of the future before Binnington got hot and won them a Cup. It would not surprise me in the least to see Husso take the reins in St. Louis. Obviously, with Binnington's contract Husso will have to clearly win the spot but Binnington has not been very good this season. And the Blues are definitely a win-now team. Their forward depth is fantastic. If they can make a move to shore up their blueline and have either Husso or Binnington give them average goaltending, then the Blues could make a deep playoff run. And they are a helluva lot of fun to watch. Besides Toronto, St. Louis is just about my favorite team to watch right now.
    This is spot-on. Saved me typing.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Big shutout for Husso last night. Probably last chance to add him if he's somehow a FA.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Big shutout for Husso last night. Probably last chance to add him if he's somehow a FA.
    Better add him right now if he is somehow available in your league.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

With all the talk on here about Ville Husso and is available in my league. I just was wondering if he would be a better pickup for me.
    As I have Pavel Francouz right now on my roster here as my 3rd goalie and way it looks is Kemper is going to play most games.