Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I won't take a political stance here... but inflation is baked in for the next 5+ years, simply based on three things:

1. chronic underinvestment in the supply side of hard assets over the last 10 years: fertilizer production capacity --> food cost, battery metal production (copper, nickel, tin, zinc) --> electrification cost, commodity metal production --> construction cost, fossil fuel production (which still is more than 50% of the global energy mix, and will persist under even the most optimistic green energy production scenarios) --> energy cost. All of these things take 5-10 years to bring meaningful production online and have been chronically starved over the last decade.

2. loose money and distribution of wealth to capital owners (ie "the 1%")... the pendulum always swings between labor and capital. It's swung pretty far towards capital, so it's going to swing back towards labor, as it always does. All these labor shortages and supply disruptions are really just a function of the cost. Having trouble finding workers? The unsaid thing there is "... at the wage that's being offered". We're going to see a longer term secular uptrend in labor cost.

3. inflation is what the world's debtholders (govt, corps, individuals) need, otherwise we're going to have massive disruptive disorderly defaults. The only way to make $30 T in US debt (as an example) manageable, is to make that not a lot of money. Persistently negative real interest rates (ie the rate of inflation outpaces interest rates... eg 7% inflation, 3% interest = -4% real rate) are going to be with us for quite a while here. This is what policymakers are targeting, because the alternative is extremely undesirable politically.

The pandemic is just a symptom, and perhaps accelerated a lot of these trends... but these were baked in as an economic reality long before the pandemic.

(IMHO)
    I agree. the Pandemic has defiantly accelerated it but it's funny I was called to do an interview a couple of years ago about what Canada's biggest issues are now and in the future. This was before the pandemic but I said jobs. I am luckily gainfully employed, always have been but I see the lack of opportunity everywhere. You nailed it about the Oil and Gas industry.

If you look at our GDP it's still the largest industry in Canada by far and were fighting it tooth and nail. Which is fine we need to eventually pivot but it seems were doing so blindly. Where are all these green jobs or alternative jobs coming from? Were a commodity producing country, that is under investing in producing.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    Agreed. Can't even believe I opened this thread, and now I see a reference to saying the "CDC is a brainwashing collection of clowns"... yikes.

I prefer to think the world is generally full of educated, intelligent, critical thinkers that realize there are independent experts, panels, bodies, and agencies that know more about a specific topic than them.

Wishful thinking I guess.
    Is it not better for people to educate themselves and use observation rather than just blindly trust what you are spoon fed? Because that is how people get smarter. By education, not by just believing, which is what you are suggesting.

In other words, who is smarter in your opinion; someone who listens or someone who understands? You are suggesting people listening are smarter but thats just wrong. The smartest people know when to listen and when to question and educate.

In my version of the world where we are mostly intelligent people would understand that the vaccine isnt working and unless everyone gets test, and i mean everyone, then the numbers are meaningless.

Dobber Sports Star

In fairness, I'm not looking at these things in terms of Canada's economy... these are global trends that will continue to wash over Canada.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Cases don't mean anything. Do we report cases of cold's? It's always been about severe outcome and hospital capacity. Were two years in the pandemic and have spent billions, yet have barely increased our hospitals capacity.

It's a fail from our leaders. That's what my first post was all about. That's why I targeted the party that is currently in charge. I don't buy into the real crazy theories out there. Covid is real. It's also a real issue but it's been and continues to be handled really poorly.
    The record in new cases came the same day as the nation saw the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients also hit an all-time high, having doubled in three weeks, according to a Reuters tally.
    Yes, reading is hard.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Is it not better for people to educate themselves and use observation rather than just blindly trust what you are spoon fed? Because that is how people get smarter. By education, not by just believing, which is what you are suggesting.

In other words, who is smarter in your opinion; someone who listens or someone who understands? You are suggesting people listening are smarter but thats just wrong. The smartest people know when to listen and when to question and educate.

In my version of the world where we are mostly intelligent people would understand that the vaccine isnt working and unless everyone gets test, and i mean everyone, then the numbers are meaningless.
    What is your proof that the vaccine "isn't working"?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Probably just another person that literally does not understand how vaccines actually work.

Dobber Sports Veteran

There is no proof.

The proof people cite is anecdotal and saying things like "vaccinated people are still getting and transmitting it", which isn't the issue.
    This has all been about reducing severity and risk of death and hospitalization, and the reason we are still in this pandemic with restrictions is because hospitals are at capacity.

Currently, in BC (where I live), over the past month, the unvaccinated were:
    - 12X more likely to be hospitalized
    - 27X more likely to be in ICU
    - 40X more likely to die from COVID

And that's not even accounting for boosters. So the vaccine is working by any freaking metric available that relies on real world data.

Dobber Sports Genius

It’s funny when you can never tell if this is a serious question or satire. Well done…unless serious.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    There is no proof.

The proof people cite is anecdotal and saying things like "vaccinated people are still getting and transmitting it", which isn't the issue.
    This has all been about reducing severity and risk of death and hospitalization, and the reason we are still in this pandemic with restrictions is because hospitals are at capacity.

And that's not even accounting for boosters. So the vaccine is working by any freaking metric available that relies on real world data.
    Amen. Protect yourselves, your family and your friends. Protect your community. Do your part to help our beleaguered heroes in the healthcare system.

Get vaccinated.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    It’s funny when you can never tell if this is a serious question or satire. Well done…unless serious.
    Now I'm confused. Are you saying there is proof that the vaccine "isn't working"? If so, can you share?

Dobber Sports Initiate

D870AE1D-4EE2-4FB2-98C5-DCDFD203671E.jpeg

Haha. Put on your N95 now. Be sure to get fit-tested by someone qualified to perform the test, maintain their PortaCount equipment and in a temp and air controlled room. Also men, be sure to be clean shaven every single day. Actually, some of your women should shave too.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Because people who are vaccinated are still able to contract it, at a very high rate I may add, and also spread it. Either call it something other than a vaccine or admit this is not a vaccine, it is a covid vitamin that helps reduce symptoms. That is all it does.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    There is no proof.

I don't even know what to say. I know people who are vaccinated and still got the virus, not sure how anyone can dispute that? All of you must know vaccinated people who still got the virus, are you that ignorant??? How can you say it works? Please explain.

Of course unvaxed numbers will be higher, because those people will have worse symptoms. So many vaccinated people (an unknown amount because we dont test every single person) with a basic sniffle or not even knowing they are sick. The covid vitamin helps with this yes, but both vaxxed and unvaxxed will get infected and spread it, that is not disputable and why many people like myself who want effective solutions are not willing to say this version of the injection "works" and accept it as a vaccine. I dont know why anyone would accept this as a vaccine.

Why arent they working on a better one? They made the first one in less than a year, and now more than a year has gone by since weve had it. Same tap water they gave us last year and the numbers have never been worse. Give your head a shake people.

Dobber Sports Sage

Because people who are vaccinated are still able to contract it, at a very high rate I may add, and also spread it. Either call it something other than a vaccine or admit this is not a vaccine, it is a covid vitamin that helps reduce symptoms. That is all it does.

I know people who are vaccinated and still got the virus, not sure how anyone can dispute that? All of you must know vaccinated people who still got the virus, are you that ignorant??? How can you say it works? Please explain.
    "Getting the virus" and experiencing moderate/severe symptoms including hospitalization and death are on vastly different ends of the spectrum of outcomes. The vaccinated are by far a vast minority of the latter category and that fact alone proves its efficacy. Vaccines are designed to prevent severe illness and death. They are not some magic immunity potion. Holding the vaccine to that sort of standard shows you are entirely ignorant and simply grinding for Nazi Treason Pig causes including disinformation that gets more people killed and prolongs the pandemic beyond the patience of all reasonable people.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't even know what to say. I know people who are vaccinated and still got the virus, not sure how anyone can dispute that? All of you must know vaccinated people who still got the virus, are you that ignorant??? How can you say it works? Please explain.

Of course unvaxed numbers will be higher, because those people will have worse symptoms. So many vaccinated people (an unknown amount because we dont test every single person) with a basic sniffle or not even knowing they are sick. The covid vitamin helps with this yes, but both vaxxed and unvaxxed will get infected and spread it, that is not disputable and why many people like myself who want effective solutions are not willing to say this version of the injection "works" and accept it as a vaccine. I dont know why anyone would accept this as a vaccine.

Why arent they working on a better one? They made the first one in less than a year, and now more than a year has gone by since weve had it. Same tap water they gave us last year and the numbers have never been worse. Give your head a shake people
    There is just.... so much that can be said here, and it seems hopeless so I won't bother getting into this. Clearly this is not a discussion that will get anywhere, regardless of how many facts, observations, or real-world data I give.