Page 18 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

5000 trucks is really not that much when you think how many trucks go in and out of Ottawa on the daily.

Sounds like a lot of unorganized companies...
    Which is fine just means more business elsewhere. Like for the company I work for. Our cross border shipments are higher than ever for this time period.
    Truckers who didn't want vaccine would of been swapped to domestic. Always other truckers waiting to haul cross border. For me that job seems really unappealing.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    5000 trucks is really not that much when you think how many trucks go in and out of Ottawa on the daily.

Sounds like a lot of unorganized companies...
    Which is fine just means more business elsewhere. Like for the company I work for. Our cross border shipments are higher than ever for this time period.
    Truckers who didn't want vaccine would of been swapped to domestic. Always other truckers waiting to haul cross border. For me that job seems really unappealing.
    True. 5,000 trucks seems like a lot to me as a small town westerner. But I guess in the denser populated areas... the truck counts could increase significantly.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    True. 5,000 trucks seems like a lot to me as a small town westerner. But I guess in the denser populated areas... the truck counts could increase significantly.
    I would still be shocked if it was as many as 5000. A few hundred trucks at most seems much more likely based on everything I've seen and just the sheer logistics of the whole thing.

500,000 on the other hand I'm pretty sure would stretch close to the length of the entire country lol.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I would still be shocked if it was as many as 5000. A few hundred trucks at most seems much more likely based on everything I've seen and just the sheer logistics of the whole thing.

500,000 on the other hand I'm pretty sure would stretch close to the length of the entire country lol.
    Average semi with trailer = about 23 meters
    Road distance Vancouver to Halifax = 5821km
    Number of semis to span the country 5821/0.023 = 253,086 semi trucks

So technically it is almost enough to span the country twice (sorry PEI, Newfoundland, Vancouver Island and the Territories)
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Sage

Neat!

Dobber Sports Titan

We're getting the 50,000 trucks, 500,000 people here mixed up lol.

But yeah, I don't quite get the huge social media backing behind it. A convoy is going through Hamilton on Thursday I believe and there's stuff going around about cheering them on going under a bridge. Glad I'm working from home tmo.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great job by the truckers! Hope Trudumb is sweating bullets. Ottawa is gonna be in for an awakening when this convoy arrives.

Every citizen of Canada should support them as they fight for all mandates.

Dobber Sports Titan

So a typical transport truck holds like 490L of gas. A 2014 rule said new semi-trucks require to get 7.2MPG on avg, or 32.67L/100km.

So a 490L tank can get 1,500km I think. Diesel = $1.47/L. So each Semi fill up is ~$720.

If they are planning to use most of the GoFundMe for fuel ($5.5mill now), they can get ~7,600 fill ups with that. Each truck (if 50,000 is right) can get 15% of a fill up.

Honestly, financially, this will die out regardless of what side you are on. And in this world I rather $5.5mill of donated funds go to a lot of different things over fuel for truckers.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So a typical transport truck holds like 490L of gas. A 2014 rule said new semi-trucks require to get 7.2MPG on avg, or 32.67L/100km.

So a 490L tank can get 1,500km I think. Diesel = $1.47/L. So each Semi fill up is ~$720.

If they are planning to use most of the GoFundMe for fuel ($5.5mill now), they can get ~7,600 fill ups with that. Each truck (if 50,000 is right) can get 15% of a fill up.

Honestly, financially, this will die out regardless of what side you are on. And in this world I rather $5.5mill of donated funds go to a lot of different things over fuel for truckers.
    Then you can donate your 5.5M wherever you want.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Great job by the truckers! Hope Trudumb is sweating bullets. Ottawa is gonna be in for an awakening when this convoy arrives.

Every citizen of Canada should support them as they fight for all mandates.
    Polling suggests the most Canadians don't actually oppose mandates... They actually support them, though this is quite regional *ahem* *prairies* *ahem*, and somewhat atypically the elderly split from the more conservative regions of the country on this one.

But as I said earlier, the US now has vaccination requirements for trucks going across the border so the exercise is about as productive as rubbing one out into a gym sock. I
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Polling suggests the most Canadians don't actually oppose mandates... They actually support them, though this is quite regional *ahem* *prairies* *ahem*, and somewhat atypically the elderly split from the more conservative regions of the country on this one.

But as I said earlier, the US now has vaccination requirements for trucks going across the border so the exercise is about as productive as rubbing one out into a gym sock. I
    It's funny these polls.

I can't recall the last time I was surveyed for a poll like this.

However, it seems this may be the case I'm not denying that.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm also lost on the huge issue that started this.

So, as I understand, the start happened when truckers who weren't vaccinated couldn't cross the USA-Canada border for work anymore. Can't they just do jobs in Canada? Was this a "Final straw" for these guys who couldn't eat in a restaurant anymore and now they're super mad? Or does the vaccine rule truly remove you from the ability to work at your current job?

From what I've read, it's only 15% of truckers who were unvaccinated. So reallocating 15% of the trucking force to just Canadian jobs doesn't sound that hard. My work exclusively gets their raw material from inside Canada (shipped from China to MTL port and picked up from there). Like there's a lot of jobs for trucking inside Canada still.

Or could you not truck a trailer from Florida to the Buffalo border, unlatch it, then get the unvaccinated guy to pick it up on the Canadian side? Seems like this went from 0-100 faster than finding a solution to their problem really.

NDP leader came out against his brother-in-law who donated to the GFM btw. Wondered how long that was going to take once someone found it out lol.

Dobber Sports Sage

Cross border truckers (speaking of picking up in USA) weren't even allowed to use the facilities (washroom) at their pickup locations. Had to wear masks the whole time while on property (even inside their own truck). Not sure if they were even allowed to exit their truck while on location.

Not sure if any or all this is still in play, I'll have to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    From what I've read, it's only 15% of truckers who were unvaccinated. So reallocating 15% of the trucking force to just Canadian jobs doesn't sound that hard. My work exclusively gets their raw material from inside Canada (shipped from China to MTL port and picked up from there). Like there's a lot of jobs for trucking inside Canada still.
    That's what the big companies have done already. There's going to be Domestic drivers waiting that want to haul cross border. If the company was efficient enough it would of have already shuffled the drivers already.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Trudeau now in isolation after "exposure", but tested negative.

Negative for having a spine.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Trudeau now in isolation after "exposure", but tested negative.

Negative for having a spine.
    What are you trying to say? That he's actually hiding from the truckers? lol

What exactly is the plan once they get there? Is there a plan at all?