Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 206

Thread: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

  1. #31
    Rep Power
    44

    Dobber Sports Star

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I won't take a political stance here... but inflation is baked in for the next 5+ years, simply based on three things:

    1. chronic underinvestment in the supply side of hard assets over the last 10 years: fertilizer production capacity --> food cost, battery metal production (copper, nickel, tin, zinc) --> electrification cost, commodity metal production --> construction cost, fossil fuel production (which still is more than 50% of the global energy mix, and will persist under even the most optimistic green energy production scenarios) --> energy cost. All of these things take 5-10 years to bring meaningful production online and have been chronically starved over the last decade.

    2. loose money and distribution of wealth to capital owners (ie "the 1%")... the pendulum always swings between labor and capital. It's swung pretty far towards capital, so it's going to swing back towards labor, as it always does. All these labor shortages and supply disruptions are really just a function of the cost. Having trouble finding workers? The unsaid thing there is "... at the wage that's being offered". We're going to see a longer term secular uptrend in labor cost.

    3. inflation is what the world's debtholders (govt, corps, individuals) need, otherwise we're going to have massive disruptive disorderly defaults. The only way to make $30 T in US debt (as an example) manageable, is to make that not a lot of money. Persistently negative real interest rates (ie the rate of inflation outpaces interest rates... eg 7% inflation, 3% interest = -4% real rate) are going to be with us for quite a while here. This is what policymakers are targeting, because the alternative is extremely undesirable politically.

    The pandemic is just a symptom, and perhaps accelerated a lot of these trends... but these were baked in as an economic reality long before the pandemic.

    (IMHO)
    I agree. the Pandemic has defiantly accelerated it but it's funny I was called to do an interview a couple of years ago about what Canada's biggest issues are now and in the future. This was before the pandemic but I said jobs. I am luckily gainfully employed, always have been but I see the lack of opportunity everywhere. You nailed it about the Oil and Gas industry.

    If you look at our GDP it's still the largest industry in Canada by far and were fighting it tooth and nail. Which is fine we need to eventually pivot but it seems were doing so blindly. Where are all these green jobs or alternative jobs coming from? Were a commodity producing country, that is under investing in producing.
    12 Team Keep 3 (1 F, 1 D, 1 G) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

    F: Kucherov, Huberdeau, Crosby, Tavares, Connor, J.T. Miller
    D: Werenski, Provorov, E.Karlsson
    G: Markstrom

  2. #32
    audiopile's Avatar
    audiopile is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,384
    Location
    VI BC
    Rep Power
    39

    Dobber Sports Pro

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    Agreed. Can't even believe I opened this thread, and now I see a reference to saying the "CDC is a brainwashing collection of clowns"... yikes.

    I prefer to think the world is generally full of educated, intelligent, critical thinkers that realize there are independent experts, panels, bodies, and agencies that know more about a specific topic than them.

    Wishful thinking I guess.
    Is it not better for people to educate themselves and use observation rather than just blindly trust what you are spoon fed? Because that is how people get smarter. By education, not by just believing, which is what you are suggesting.

    In other words, who is smarter in your opinion; someone who listens or someone who understands? You are suggesting people listening are smarter but thats just wrong. The smartest people know when to listen and when to question and educate.

    In my version of the world where we are mostly intelligent people would understand that the vaccine isnt working and unless everyone gets test, and i mean everyone, then the numbers are meaningless.

  3. #33
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    In fairness, I'm not looking at these things in terms of Canada's economy... these are global trends that will continue to wash over Canada.

  4. #34
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Samurai

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Cases don't mean anything. Do we report cases of cold's? It's always been about severe outcome and hospital capacity. Were two years in the pandemic and have spent billions, yet have barely increased our hospitals capacity.

    It's a fail from our leaders. That's what my first post was all about. That's why I targeted the party that is currently in charge. I don't buy into the real crazy theories out there. Covid is real. It's also a real issue but it's been and continues to be handled really poorly.
    The record in new cases came the same day as the nation saw the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients also hit an all-time high, having doubled in three weeks, according to a Reuters tally.
    Yes, reading is hard.

  5. #35
    forumname's Avatar
    forumname is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,500
    Location
    Victoria
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Star

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Is it not better for people to educate themselves and use observation rather than just blindly trust what you are spoon fed? Because that is how people get smarter. By education, not by just believing, which is what you are suggesting.

    In other words, who is smarter in your opinion; someone who listens or someone who understands? You are suggesting people listening are smarter but thats just wrong. The smartest people know when to listen and when to question and educate.

    In my version of the world where we are mostly intelligent people would understand that the vaccine isnt working and unless everyone gets test, and i mean everyone, then the numbers are meaningless.
    What is your proof that the vaccine "isn't working"?

  6. #36
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Samurai

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What is your proof that the vaccine "isn't working"?
    Probably just another person that literally does not understand how vaccines actually work.

  7. #37
    jcairns's Avatar
    jcairns is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,890
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What is your proof that the vaccine "isn't working"?
    There is no proof.

    The proof people cite is anecdotal and saying things like "vaccinated people are still getting and transmitting it", which isn't the issue.
    This has all been about reducing severity and risk of death and hospitalization, and the reason we are still in this pandemic with restrictions is because hospitals are at capacity.

    Currently, in BC (where I live), over the past month, the unvaccinated were:
    - 12X more likely to be hospitalized
    - 27X more likely to be in ICU
    - 40X more likely to die from COVID

    And that's not even accounting for boosters. So the vaccine is working by any freaking metric available that relies on real world data.

  8. #38
    Location
    Newmarket
    Rep Power
    42

    Dobber Sports Star

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What is your proof that the vaccine "isn't working"?
    It’s funny when you can never tell if this is a serious question or satire. Well done…unless serious.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

    C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/LW/RW-
    C/RW-Bennett~Seguin~Hartman
    C/LW-E.Rodrigues
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane
    RW-P. Kane~Wheeler~Rust
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala~Toffoli
    D-Hamilton~Makar~Pulock~DeAngelo~Dahlin~Ristolainen~M.Roy
    G-Hellebuyck~Samsonov

    MINORS:
    Forwards-Byfield~Rossi~Jeannot~Pelletier
    DMen-Bouchard~Lundkvist~Addison
    Goalies-Sorokin~Swayman~Dostal

  9. #39
    Wonko's Avatar
    Wonko is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,183
    Location
    Mountains
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    There is no proof.

    The proof people cite is anecdotal and saying things like "vaccinated people are still getting and transmitting it", which isn't the issue.
    This has all been about reducing severity and risk of death and hospitalization, and the reason we are still in this pandemic with restrictions is because hospitals are at capacity.

    Currently, in BC (where I live), over the past month, the unvaccinated were:
    - 12X more likely to be hospitalized
    - 27X more likely to be in ICU
    - 40X more likely to die from COVID

    And that's not even accounting for boosters. So the vaccine is working by any freaking metric available that relies on real world data.
    Amen. Protect yourselves, your family and your friends. Protect your community. Do your part to help our beleaguered heroes in the healthcare system.

    Get vaccinated.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

    Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO


    C- Bergeron, O' Rielly, Malkin
    LW- Ovechkin, Forsberg, Copp, McCann, RNH
    RW- M. Tkachuk, Batherson, Kyrou, Bennett, Zuccarello,
    D- Carlson, Barrie, Pietrangelo, Ghost, Dobson, Weegar, Klingberg, Giordano
    G- Vasilevskiy, Fleury, Smith, Quick



  10. #40
    forumname's Avatar
    forumname is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,500
    Location
    Victoria
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Star

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    It’s funny when you can never tell if this is a serious question or satire. Well done…unless serious.
    Now I'm confused. Are you saying there is proof that the vaccine "isn't working"? If so, can you share?

  11. #41
    Skippy's Avatar
    Skippy is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    786
    Rep Power
    20

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    D870AE1D-4EE2-4FB2-98C5-DCDFD203671E.jpeg

    Haha. Put on your N95 now. Be sure to get fit-tested by someone qualified to perform the test, maintain their PortaCount equipment and in a temp and air controlled room. Also men, be sure to be clean shaven every single day. Actually, some of your women should shave too.

  12. #42
    audiopile's Avatar
    audiopile is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,384
    Location
    VI BC
    Rep Power
    39

    Dobber Sports Pro

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What is your proof that the vaccine "isn't working"?
    Because people who are vaccinated are still able to contract it, at a very high rate I may add, and also spread it. Either call it something other than a vaccine or admit this is not a vaccine, it is a covid vitamin that helps reduce symptoms. That is all it does.

  13. #43
    audiopile's Avatar
    audiopile is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,384
    Location
    VI BC
    Rep Power
    39

    Dobber Sports Pro

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    There is no proof.

    The proof people cite is anecdotal and saying things like "vaccinated people are still getting and transmitting it", which isn't the issue.
    This has all been about reducing severity and risk of death and hospitalization, and the reason we are still in this pandemic with restrictions is because hospitals are at capacity.

    Currently, in BC (where I live), over the past month, the unvaccinated were:
    - 12X more likely to be hospitalized
    - 27X more likely to be in ICU
    - 40X more likely to die from COVID

    And that's not even accounting for boosters. So the vaccine is working by any freaking metric available that relies on real world data.
    I don't even know what to say. I know people who are vaccinated and still got the virus, not sure how anyone can dispute that? All of you must know vaccinated people who still got the virus, are you that ignorant??? How can you say it works? Please explain.

    Of course unvaxed numbers will be higher, because those people will have worse symptoms. So many vaccinated people (an unknown amount because we dont test every single person) with a basic sniffle or not even knowing they are sick. The covid vitamin helps with this yes, but both vaxxed and unvaxxed will get infected and spread it, that is not disputable and why many people like myself who want effective solutions are not willing to say this version of the injection "works" and accept it as a vaccine. I dont know why anyone would accept this as a vaccine.

    Why arent they working on a better one? They made the first one in less than a year, and now more than a year has gone by since weve had it. Same tap water they gave us last year and the numbers have never been worse. Give your head a shake people.

  14. #44
    Doug Glatt's Avatar
    Doug Glatt is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,693
    Location
    Kraken Town
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Because people who are vaccinated are still able to contract it, at a very high rate I may add, and also spread it. Either call it something other than a vaccine or admit this is not a vaccine, it is a covid vitamin that helps reduce symptoms. That is all it does.

    I know people who are vaccinated and still got the virus, not sure how anyone can dispute that? All of you must know vaccinated people who still got the virus, are you that ignorant??? How can you say it works? Please explain.
    "Getting the virus" and experiencing moderate/severe symptoms including hospitalization and death are on vastly different ends of the spectrum of outcomes. The vaccinated are by far a vast minority of the latter category and that fact alone proves its efficacy. Vaccines are designed to prevent severe illness and death. They are not some magic immunity potion. Holding the vaccine to that sort of standard shows you are entirely ignorant and simply grinding for Nazi Treason Pig causes including disinformation that gets more people killed and prolongs the pandemic beyond the patience of all reasonable people.



    2015, '16, '18 League Champ
    10-Team H2H (Multi-cat Points) Dynasty
    G/A/PIM/PPG/PPA/SHG/SHA/FOW/SOG/HIT/BLK/D Pts/W/SV/GA/SO

    Daily 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 1Skt-Keep 26 in bold
    C: McDavid~Matthews~Mika Z~Kopitar~Pettersson
    LW: Draisaitl~Svechnikov~B.Tkachuk~Stamkos~Hintz~Mantha
    RW: Kucherov~Marner~Pastrnak~Bennett~Stone~Tuch~Nichushkin
    D: Hedman~Carlson~Tony D~Doughty~Hamilton~Ekblad~Seider
    G: Andersen~Lehner~Markstrom
    Farm: Keep 26 for 150 games
    (C) Cozens~Lundell~Byfield~Perfetti~McTavish~Protas
    (W) J.Robertson~Comtois~Podkolzin~Krebs~Holloway
    (D) Dobson~Hague~Durzi~Heinola~Clarke~L.Hughes
    (G) Sorokin~Ned~Vladar~Portillo~Cossa~Wallstedt


  15. #45
    jcairns's Avatar
    jcairns is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,890
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: The worst decision of the pandemic. Get ready for empty shelves!

    Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I don't even know what to say. I know people who are vaccinated and still got the virus, not sure how anyone can dispute that? All of you must know vaccinated people who still got the virus, are you that ignorant??? How can you say it works? Please explain.

    Of course unvaxed numbers will be higher, because those people will have worse symptoms. So many vaccinated people (an unknown amount because we dont test every single person) with a basic sniffle or not even knowing they are sick. The covid vitamin helps with this yes, but both vaxxed and unvaxxed will get infected and spread it, that is not disputable and why many people like myself who want effective solutions are not willing to say this version of the injection "works" and accept it as a vaccine. I dont know why anyone would accept this as a vaccine.

    Why arent they working on a better one? They made the first one in less than a year, and now more than a year has gone by since weve had it. Same tap water they gave us last year and the numbers have never been worse. Give your head a shake people
    .
    There is just.... so much that can be said here, and it seems hopeless so I won't bother getting into this. Clearly this is not a discussion that will get anywhere, regardless of how many facts, observations, or real-world data I give.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •