Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Expansion draft - who should I protect

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Expansion draft - who should I protect

My first question is one I think you haven't answered yet, and it's pretty important.

Exactly how will expansion work for the new teams coming in? How many players will they get from each team, and how will they choose those players? How many players will you lose per year, and are the positions limited? How many players you can lose at each position may make a difference.

At forward, I feel that Petterson, Svechnikow, and Hintz are protect guys. Kakko & Terry are do not protect guys. Necas, Buchnevich, and Stuetzle have reasons to be that last protected guy.

Goalies are harder to parse out. If you can only lose 1 goalie, I protect Andersen, as he's got the most short-term value, and should be most tradable post-expansion, and he's of a different type of value than the other two. If you must lose two goalies, I'd be inclined to not protect him if you feel you're not competitive in the next 2 seasons.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lusshouse View Post
    TLDR :

Keep 1 : Anderson, Merzlikins, Jarry

Keep 4 : Petterson, Svechnikov, Stuetzle, Kakko, Necas, Buchnevich, Hintz, Terry

---

Hi guys,

From my third league, so not in sig.

Full keeper. W = 2 pts. G/A = 1 point. Top 2G, 6D and 14F count in your total points.
    12 teams.

We voted to be in 2024-25 at 18 teams, 1G, 4D and 10F in three years, so we'll add 2 teams per year for the next three years.

The protection list will always be 1G, 2D and 6F.

In other words, those 9 players will be precious because our depth will disapear in the hands of all the expansion drafts. Therefore, most people are not interested right now in taking two good guys for one slightly better.

I am in Year 3 of building that team from the terrible mess the previous owner left me with.

Here's what I own.

Can you give me your thoughts on who to protect at the end of the year -- and thus, who I should put on the market.

G : Jarry vs Andersen vs Merzlikins

D : QHughes, Heiskanen (nothing else up for debate)

F : Marner, J Hughes are locks.

Pretty sure I'll protect four out of : Petterson, Svechnikov, Stuetzle, Kakko, Necas, Buchnevich, Hintz, Terry

I've got other veteran options, but none as good as Buch and Hintz.
    I've got other prospects, but none as good as the ones listed.
    Im keeping Freddie Andersen for the goalie. Tough letting Jarry go but he should be an early redraft target.

For forwards, I'm keeping EP40, Svechnikov, Necas and Buchnevich. Again a tough cut or two but this is who I like long term.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    My first question is one I think you haven't answered yet, and it's pretty important.

Exactly how will expansion work for the new teams coming in? How many players will they get from each team, and how will they choose those players? How many players will you lose per year, and are the positions limited? How many players you can lose at each position may make a difference.

At forward, I feel that Petterson, Svechnikow, and Hintz are protect guys. Kakko & Terry are do not protect guys. Necas, Buchnevich, and Stuetzle have reasons to be that last protected guy.

Goalies are harder to parse out. If you can only lose 1 goalie, I protect Andersen, as he's got the most short-term value, and should be most tradable post-expansion, and he's of a different type of value than the other two. If you must lose two goalies, I'd be inclined to not protect him if you feel you're not competitive in the next 2 seasons.
    We'll lose 2 players per year, for a total of 6 players.
    No positional restrictions as to what we'll lose, so n'est year I could lose 2 G, patch up with a G that I'll lose in 2023, etc.

They must pick 12 players each from our 12 teams, so that everybody loses 2 guys. They also get the top odds for the 1st & 2nd overall picks, and a bunch of extra picks at the end of the draft.

Our cap is 40 players on the roster. I dont have the exact #s but it'll be reduced to 32 or so in 3 years.

Hope it helps

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry from my cell, it keeps auto correcting to French words.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, Korpisalo, Woll
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, Nelson, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Pionk Brannstrom Peru
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

TRADE ALERT

My Andersen + Connor Brown + Alex Nylander

for

His Cal Petersen + Matthew Boldy + Matthew Beniers

Unless Boldy plays 37 of the final 48 games of the Wild, he'll be protected automatically this summer.
    Beniers is also protected automatically until he plays 40 NHL games.

So.... rank these goalies to protect I guess?

Jarry
    Merzlikins
    Petersen

?

Think it's likely not Jarry as I took more weapons for two years from now, instead of next season.

G- Shest, Luukkanen
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

That info on draft format helps. You can lose a maximum of 2 players, and they can be at any position. From that trade update, it sounds like you have players who are exempt from the draft as well. Can you give us that list, so we can the shape of what you have protected coming down the pipeline?

Given that I am really unsure which of your goalies I'd want, I'd be very willing to deal any of them for assets that you will automatically protect plus a decent replacement goalie. My goal would be to keep working to accumulate protectable assets, then ship some of them off for a real keeper goalie from a team that has 2 of them, and has to do something or lose one of them. Then keep that guy you acquire.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    That info on draft format helps. You can lose a maximum of 2 players, and they can be at any position. From that trade update, it sounds like you have players who are exempt from the draft as well. Can you give us that list, so we can the shape of what you have protected coming down the pipeline?

Given that I am really unsure which of your goalies I'd want, I'd be very willing to deal any of them for assets that you will automatically protect plus a decent replacement goalie. My goal would be to keep working to accumulate protectable assets, then ship some of them off for a real keeper goalie from a team that has 2 of them, and has to do something or lose one of them. Then keep that guy you acquire.
    Here's the full roster.
    Currently 9th out of 12.

Top2 G (will be topG once the expansion is over in three years)
    Top6 D (will be top 4 D in three years)
    Top15 F (will be 11F in three years)

Capped at 40 players max (will be capped at 34 players max in three years)

Full 40 men roster :

Jarry
    Merzlikins
    Petersen

Hughes
    Heiskanen
    Bean
    Boqvist
    Grzlecyk
    C.Miller
    E. Gustafsson
    Lundkvist
    Pulock
    Klefbom

Terry
    Buchnevich
    Svechnikov
    Hintz
    Cirelli
    Garland
    Marner
    Necas
    J. Hughes
    Eriksson Ek
    Pettersson
    Stutzle
    Kakko
    Tolvanen
    Yamamoto
    Zucker
    Zadina
    Caufield
    Fischer
    Vrana

Automatically protected so far :
    Boldy
    Beniers
    Eklund
    Perfetti
    Kravtsov

Own 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks (if nothing moves, 6th, 20th, 34th overall)

G- Shest, Luukkanen

So once expansion is over, it's full dynasty at 34 players maximum, and you will lose 2 players from your current roster over that time, plus 4 more from whatever your current roster is that aren't free to protect.

I still like the idea of moving layers who help contenders for free protect players, especially those a bit further away. I suspect you need to go fairly hard at this approach early before others catch on; just be careful to not go too far.