Thread: GTX team assessment half-season 2021/2022

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Post GTX team assessment half-season 2021/2022

Hi Dobbers and happy new year 2022 !

I wanted first to make a extra post to assess my draft, but I think it’s quite late in season to do it.
    I am now more interested in my current team and how to reach to playoffs (read below).
    League details in signature.

But to have a context and some of you may be interested, I hid my draft results and little comments in spoiler to not bore others:

I drafted as last (12/12) so most top forward dogs, Vasil and Makar were out. So I had to focus (as I do every year anyway) for best goalie available and top defencer:

Round Pick# Player note
    1 12 Lehner best goalie / best team (Vegas), Vasil was gone as #5
    2 13 Hedman best D, Makar was gone as #11 (close)
    3 36 Hellebuyck Kuemper and Fleury were taken, but I wanted Hellebyuck anyway
    Crosby (injured)
    1st power forward for me - too late?, injured until 15th November 2021
    5 60 Theodore Defence first
    Scheifele
    best forward left, again Center like Crosby which is not ideal, injured after 2nd match for 2 weeks
    7 84 Pionk defence first
    8 85 Perron Good season
    Toews (injured)
    under radar because injured and not known. Injury until 7th november 2021
    10 109 Palat Tampa is good
    11 132 Burakovsky almost PPG last year
    Strome
    Panarin's brother, injured after 2nd match for 2 weeks
    13 156 Kubalik good 2 seasons
    14 157 Pelech panic pick
    15 180 Suzuki Montreal's prodigy left behind
    16 181 Farabee to finish the draft ;-)

Players in bold were injured during draft or injured shortly after. This info is mainly for later parts of this thread - Trades and current team status.

I would be glad to hear comments for my draft reasoning and if I made some big mistakes (except forgotting to draft DeAngelo).

During the season I made these trades and notable FA pick ups. Again in spoiler to make this text shorter:

15th october 2021 - Couturier from FA (he then got very hot)
    16th october 2021 - Talbot from FA (i rode him until now when he injured himself at Winter Classic)
    18th october 2021 - B.Rust from waiwers. I used my #2 waiver order to punish a mistake by newcomer GM when Rust got seriously injured.
    4th november 2021 - Kyrou from trade for Zub
    10th november 2021 - Fiala from waiwers ( I got low waiver anyway) - I have him almost all season and waited for his outbreak :-(
    10th november 2021 - Krug from trade for Perron and Couturier (Cout was getting cold and Perron aswell)
    28th november 2021 - Hartman from FA
    30th november 2021 - DeAngelo, Ehlers, E.Kane from trade for Hartman, Palat, Theodore (this is debatable, but I valued Ehlers > Palat, DeAngelo > Theodore and Hartman was overproducing so I gambled on E.Kane)
    2nd december 2021 - Zuccarello from FA
    5th december 2021 - Eichel from FA
    20th december 2021 - Tuch from FA
    9th januar 2022 - Zegras from FA (dropped already, mistake?)
    10th januar 2022 - Dobson from FA
    10th januar 2022 - Hall from waiwers (I had low waiver #)

I am currently 11 of 12 (13 points behind 8th place) because of two main reasons:

• I got many players injured in first weeks (see draft results in spoiler above) and
    • I played with 3 goalies until now and blocked 1 skating slot. I analysed this in separate thread.

My current squad

C - Crosby, Scheifele
    LW,RW Kyrou (+C), Rust (Covid)
    LW - Hall
    RW - Zuccarello
    D - Hedman, DeAngelo, D.Toews, Krug, Pionk (thread with assesment of my Ds)
    G - Hellebuyck, Lehner (had Talbot all the season until his injury)
    streamers/projects:
    - RW C.Smith (Boston rolling and 1st line currently and some PPDs)
    - C,RW Duchene (PPG and Nashville is rolling)
    - D Dobson ( promising Islander many PPDs
    IR - Eichel (C), Ehlers (Covid)

Bolded is the core I want to keep ROS (or upgrade if there will be an opportunity).

I had big dilemma to have 2 or 3 goalies ROS and I inclined to trade/drop one. More in this thread who the victim should be.

My Talbot got injured and he had the worst results lately and Kahkonen substituted him very well, so I simply dropped Talbot week ago to make a room in my roster. He was untradable at that point.

But I want to continue to improve my roster and I watch free agents field regularly.

Notable free agents now

Coutoure (C), Boewser (RW), Bratt (LW,RW), Ek (C), Atkinson (RW), RNH (C,LW), Fiala (LW,RW), Reinhart (C,RW), Zegras (C,LW), Sorokin (G), Rask (G), Quick (G), Tuch (LW,RW), T.Thompson (C,LW,RW)

Some of them are very tempting to pick up, but i cant have them all and currently I dont have place and I want to have 2 stream slots. When I pick Sorokin for C.Smith and maybe Reinhart for Duchene, I will be “full” and my team will be locked without moves. I want to use 5 free pickups per week.

When Ehlers, Rust and Eichel return, I have to drop 2 players and my team will be super locked without FA moves possible. And I will have 3 pure Centers

Trades
    (some already made trades mentioned in upper spoiler.)

I am desperatelly trying to do a 2 for 1 trade, to make a roster space, but no success for now.

Almost got Pasta for Rust, but Rust got COVID and OGM declined and that night Pasta scored 2 goals, next day 2+1 and window was closed.

Tried to get Nylander for Kyrou, but Kyrou got injured just that night... Now I am more inclined to keep Kyrou, little thread about him if he sustains his PPG pace this season.

I am trying to trade D.Toews because he is overproducing, but also I think he will keep a very good pace ROS, so I dont want to give him cheaply. But he hasnt name and got injured from start his season, so his season ranking is low. That's why he is not recognised in my league. More on D.Toews here: D.Toews sell high or keep ?

Any suggestions what elite (or better than mine) players (maybe slumping with possibility to turn over) should I adress with trade requests?

What are your recommendations to make this team better?
    To reach and possibly be successfull in playoffs? Do you see some weak spots?

I have a lot of questions, but I dont want you to be mislead/biased. Some of my urgent questions in popular spoiler:

1. Should I go for Sorokin (Islanders have a lot of PPDs.) and trade 1 of 3 goalies later? Or keep them all three?
    2. Should I wait if the Eichel will click and then trade 1 of my Centers? Or trade now? Which one?
    3. is Hall a ROS keeper or are there better options?
    4. should I trade RUST now when he explored in last 3 matches? Or keep him with Crosby in strong Penguins team.
    5. Should I have a 6 defencers? I think not. Who is a trade/drop? Dobson? Or somebody with better name and keep Dobson (1st PP and many PPDs)
    6. Will Duchene stay at PPG rate this season?
    7. more to come later in comments.

Thanks for reading and thanks a lot in advance for ANY reactions.
    League: H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, no keepers, 5 FA pick-ups / week, unlimited trades.
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks, Wins, SV%, SHO
    Positions: 2xC, 2xLW, 2xRW, 4xD, 2xG, 4xBN, IR, IR+

Drop Batherson or other skater to stream into playoffs?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: GTX team assessment half-season 2021/2022

Humble bump and little update to my roster status, as I aquired Sorokin for C.Smith and Reinhart for Dobson.
    So my current roster looks like this and it's now "locked". Means I dont want to drop anyone, they are too valuable and I have healthy Ehlers on IR post :-(

Any recommendations (details in previous post) how to enable stream slot? Trade 2for1 ? Drop? tnx.

My current squad

C - Crosby, Scheifele
    LW - Hall
    LW,RW Kyrou (+C), Rust
    RW - Zuccarello, Duchene (+C)
    D - Hedman, DeAngelo, D.Toews, Krug, Pionk
    G - Hellebuyck, Lehner, Sorokin (tryout in my roster)
    IR - Eichel (C), Ehlers (healthy now)