Thread: [recommendations] Looking for a rucking backpack

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default [recommendations] Looking for a rucking backpack

Does anyone ruck?

Looking for an affordable, durable pack that would be comparable to GoRuck packs. I just don't want to spend $300 on a pack.

Biggest thing is a secure supported, padded slot for the plate. I got a pack for Xmas but the pack isn't quality enough to take the 30lb plate.
    The plate sags in the pack and sits too low in the pack, digs into my butt. I've adjusted the straps as tight as they will go and remain comfortable.

Give me your recommendations
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Default Re: [recommendations] Looking for a rucking backpack

Do you have to use a large plate? I looked into rucking backpacks a while back and found the whole thing to be really cool but far too niche to be affordable. It's one thing if you're an absolute monster and need like 80 lbs on your back to get a good workout, but at a more reasonable weight you can find alternatives. I just stuffed a bunch of old text books and some smaller plates (2 x 5 lbs) into my hiking backpack which has made it manageable and comfortable. I can get ~50 lbs into a 42L backpack comfortably and go for lengthy hikes. The weight sits evenly instead of sagging. And it's easy enough to pull the books out when I need the pack for something else.

I should mention that my pack is also a $250 hiking backpack so solving the price point isn't necessarily there, but I've been using the pack for hiking vacations and rucking for several years now so it has been more than worth the purchase, whereas a rucking pack only serves the one purpose. I'd be curious about the quality of the pack you just acquired, because you get what you pay for on that front. If it ain't working, I'd look at trading it in and upgrading.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Do you have to use a large plate? I looked into rucking backpacks a while back and found the whole thing to be really cool but far too niche to be affordable. It's one thing if you're an absolute monster and need like 80 lbs on your back to get a good workout, but at a more reasonable weight you can find alternatives. I just stuffed a bunch of old text books and some smaller plates (2 x 5 lbs) into my hiking backpack which has made it manageable and comfortable. I can get ~50 lbs into a 42L backpack comfortably and go for lengthy hikes. The weight sits evenly instead of sagging. And it's easy enough to pull the books out when I need the pack for something else.

I should mention that my pack is also a $250 hiking backpack so solving the price point isn't necessarily there, but I've been using the pack for hiking vacations and rucking for several years now so it has been more than worth the purchase, whereas a rucking pack only serves the one purpose. I'd be curious about the quality of the pack you just acquired, because you get what you pay for on that front. If it ain't working, I'd look at trading it in and upgrading.
    I have the 30lb rectangle plate already.
    The pack was (shockingly) the #2 top rated pack on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Coolton-Tactic...79MB6TDC&psc=1
    In the process of returning
    I have the Osprey Aether for backpacking, it's a 65L pack - wanting a smaller 30-35L pack for day hikes/walks - everyday use. I plan to throw it on every time I walk out the door with the dog

Additionally, having a spot for a bladder tube is a bonus. I'm surrounded by trails. As nice as my neighbourhood is.. i'd much rather not walk surrounded by houses.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I have the 30lb rectangle plate already.
    The pack was (shockingly) the #2 top rated pack on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Coolton-Tactic...79MB6TDC&psc=1
    In the process of returning
    I have the Osprey Aether for backpacking, it's a 65L pack - wanting a smaller 30-35L pack for day hikes/walks - everyday use. I plan to throw it on every time I walk out the door with the dog

Additionally, having a spot for a bladder tube is a bonus. I'm surrounded by trails. As nice as my neighbourhood is.. i'd much rather not walk surrounded by houses.
    The Coolton is a decent pack. Quite a few of my fire ranger colleagues use it as a day pack. Very durable. Has stood up to multiple seasons of fire fighting. But in terms of rucking that isn't going to do the trick. It doesn't have near the shoulder strap quality of an Osprey, which is going to far better disperse the weight.

That said, I still think your issue is the plate. It's gonna sag.

My pack is the Osprey Farpoint, which would have the same strap rig as your 65L. A quick peek shows it on sale for cheaper than I got it.

I'd still try out the textbooks option I mentioned above because I'm not sure you're finding a pack that won't sag with 30 lbs bundled into a tight package like a plate without a fixed bolt sticking off the back.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

What size is the plate? I dont think a backpack is what you want here.

I dont ruck but I do like to train with my Spartan Achilles armor plate system. Perhaps you might look into a plate carrier to use. Mine has 4 steel armor plates-front, back and sides, with kevlar plate backers. And a camelbak which is the only way to hydrate in the field. My entire rig covers my torso well, form fitting not bulky, and is really comfortable despite 30 plus pounds of weight. If the plate is rectangular-ish and less than or = to 11x14 inches it might work. There are decent plate carriers on amazon for 100 bucks and should do fine since you are not going on deployment and wont likely need 1000D nylon. Its worth looking into.

Dobber Sports Superstar

When I get the urge to Ruck I just sit down, pour myself a beer, have a feed of Chicken Wings and wait till the urge goes away. (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Genius

I know someone who rucks with a Yoda. I can give him a long distance call for you and put it on the Imperial tab - no trouble. I've heard this type of resistance is really good on the hams.

Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.