Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: 2022 Edition - Dobber WJC Pool

Just under the wire. Sent. Time to just enjoy the games. Thanks again!

Dobber Sports Stud

Kids finally went to bed. 20 minutes to get my entry in!

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Stud

Got it in with three minutes left!
    Went with 5 Canadians and Americans, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they'll be playing each other for the Bronze medal. Canada is gonna run the table in group A (weakest group I can remember in a long time). Historically, Canada doesn't fair too well in the semis when they don't face any adversity at any point in the round robin. Czechia is much better than the past few years but should still be easy for Canada, the Finns are considerably weaker than previous years, Germany lost all their star power so they're back to bottom feeder, and Austria is the blow-out game. Canada should easily go 4-0, and then beat Slovakia (youngest team in World Junior history I believe) in the quarters. Then they get either Russia, Sweden or USA. On paper, Canada is much better than all those teams, but they will have faced a lot of adversity having to play each other in the round robin which usually bodes well for the medal games.
    Canada also typically doesn't do too well historically in the year BEFORE the generational talent is front and center. Next year is the Connor Bedard year (plus Cossa should be the clear starter next year and by then he should be dominating against younger players). This is the year where they don't play the generational talent as much as he should be played. Canada is the best team on paper. No team should beat them, but they could very easily beat themselves.
    The Swedes are bringing a very good team this year. They could have the top forward, defenceman and goalie at this tournament. I had Eklund penciled in as my captain for days till I decided that Canada would have more opportunities at running up the score against weaker competition so I went with McTavish. But Eklund (or Holtz) could be the top forward. Edvinsson should give Power a run for top dman (I don't think Niemela pans out this year as the Finns are much weaker). And the finals could wind up as a battle between Askarov and Wallstedt. And they don't have the pressure of the round robin streak anymore - they can now play for the medal round.
    I also think there's a very good chance the Czechs finish higher than the Finns. As you can tell earlier in this point, I'm quite low on the Finns this year. Don't like their D other than Niemela, losing Ratu is a big loss, and they were counting on Lambert this year and he's falling lower and lower by the day. They're usually either really good or really bad. I think this is the really bad year.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Stud

Shoot. I forgot ☹️

Dobber Sports Stud

All the entries are in and final!

Went with 5-5-5-5-2 (CAN-USA-FIN-SWE-RUS), and one of the Russians is not Askarov. Real gambit here, especially not taking an NA goaltender. Wacky but what felt right.

About 30 entries this year, thanks for participating and good luck!
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ducked the USA altogether this year, so we'll see how that goes. Went back and forth on them, but just couldn't decide on a consensus. Fairly happy, but mostly because I don't have to work (I usually have to) and I can watch all the hockey I want for a few days.
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Stud

And we're off to the races! Dropped off from the 40's to the low 30's in entries, but I usually post this earlier, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Fun stats:

- No player was picked by all 32 teams - Kent Johnson (CAN, 31) came close, and so did last-minute D-captain cut Shakir Mukhamadullin (RUS, 30). Much to my surprise, Matvei Michkov was picked 3rd most as a 16 year old, and Shane Wright was the 2nd most popular Canadian pick (25), continuing some tradition that hyped up prospects on the younger side are popular picks.

- Speaking of Captains, close calls Simontaival (FIN, 20 teams), Dylan Guenther (CAN, 8), Emil Andrae (SWE, 24) weren't picked as much as the collective thought! Goes to show every year as easy as some picks look to one, they aren't clear cut to others.

- Most picked is Canada (158 picks), although the Russians (132), Swedes (130) and USA (128) were fighting it out for spots. Finland have 95. Slovakia barely (25) has more picks than Czechia (24). Austria (1) and Switzerland (1) somehow beat out Germany who have been a powerhouse in recent years (0). No Draisaitl or Stutzle to carry them this year, though.

- Goalies are known to be volatile, but I've never seen such little faith in picking a Canadian Goaltender - 8 picks (Garand 6, Cossa 2) total. Finland (Blomqvist 5, Merilainen 1) is the only team whose goalies were picked that has less. People are riding on performances from Wallstedt (25) and Askarov (17), with a side of Commesso (8).

- The Most-Picked Team:

F Captain - Mason McTavish (CAN, 13)
    D Captain - Topi Niemela (FIN, 13) (Tied with Sanderson, but more US players were highly picked so to make space for others it's Niemela here. Totally not Leafs fan bias)

Forwards:
    Johnson (CAN, 31), Michkov (RUS, 28), Olausson (SWE, 27), Wright (CAN, 25), Khusnutdinov (RUS, 22), Berard (USA, 22),
    Simontaival (FIN, 20), Coronato (USA, 19), Lysell (SWE, 15), Bourque (CAN, 14), Chibrikov (RUS, 13) one of Mysak (CZE), Jarventie (FIM), Kemell (FIN) or Pastujov (USA), all at 11.

Defence:
    Mukhamadullin (RUS, 30), Andrae (SWE, 24), Grans (SWE, 21), Jiricek (CZE, 17), Zellweger (CAN, 14), Faber (USA, 12)

Goaltending:
    Jesper Wallstedt (SWE, 25), Askarov (RUS, 17)

5 Canadians, 5 Swedes, 5 Russians, 3 US players, 2 Finns, a Czech and a wildcard (Czech, Finn or US born.

But without further ado - the early standings!

Rank Team Points
    1 bmctee 25
    2 CrimsonYann 25
    3 metaldude26 25
    4 JagrBomb 23
    5 Driedger18 23
    6 dodospice 22
    7 Pit Bulls 22
    8 Markyj 21
    9 watchingthegame 21
    10 InForAPenny 20
    11 forsbergfan 19
    12 CaptainCally 19
    13 cmrtn 18
    14 PenguinHunter 18
    15 Eskimo Brother 18
    16 Kjamieson 17
    17 Essej 17
    18 burnsy00 17
    19 nikitanikitin 16
    20 Dcamp12 16
    21 Axeman33 16
    22 pmorrow 15
    23 Bubba55 15
    24 Rocky71 15
    25 Magicstew 14
    26 Nights 14
    27 doulos 13
    28 StuntMan12 13
    29 dennis 13
    30 Jussin88 12
    31 newfcollins 11
    32 flyers94 11
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

The 17 of us that picked Jiricek already took a hit. Going for an MRI today, looks like he could be out for the remainder of the tournament.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The 17 of us that picked Jiricek already took a hit. Going for an MRI today, looks like he could be out for the remainder of the tournament.
    Yep. Didn't look good when you saw it in slow-mo. His knee took a funky buckle. I knew at that point he was done for the tournament.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I went in on Jiricek and a couple of CZE forwards in lieu of the Americans thinking Czechia might be a little more productive in the round robin, could be a blow not only losing a player but also if it cuts some wind out of the sails of Novak and Mysak.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

At the very last second before submitting, I changed Helenius to Kemell...damn
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by InForAPenny View Post
    I too made a last-minute change, but it’s working out for me so far (Samoskevich to Lambert).

Barely two days in though, still lots to come.
    12-team Dynasty Salary
    G-A-H-B/W-SO
    Crosby, Giroux, Pavelski, Hagel, Tarasenko, Terry, Bjorkstrand, Joshua, Cotter, Drury, Holtz, Kasper, Dorofeyev, Rosén, Brindley
    Dunn, Sergachev, Nurse, Trouba, Girard, Harley, Korczak, Söderström, Luneau, Pickering, Behrens, Rinzel
    Bobrovsky, Woll, Patera, Garand

10-team Dynasty Roto
    G-A-FOW-STP-H-B/W-GAA-Sv%
    Matthews, Hyman, Bratt, Guentzel, Thompson, Horvat, Lindholm, Buchnevich, Toffoli, Konecny, Rust, Laine, Peterka, Neighbours, Kemell, Snuggerud, Bourque, Wood, Öhgren
    Makar, Josi, Dobson, Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Faber, Spence, Edvinsson, Zellweger, Willander, Bonk, Casey
    Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Georgiev,
    Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by InForAPenny View Post
    I changed Lambert to Kemell at the last second...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Dec 28th (Morning) update!

Rank Team Points
    1 bmctee 39
    2 CrimsonYann 39
    3 metaldude26 37
    4 Pit Bulls 33
    5 Driedger18 32
    6 dodospice 31
    7 InForAPenny 31
    8 watchingthegame 30
    9 Eskimo Brother 30
    10 JagrBomb 29
    11 PenguinHunter 29
    12 CaptainCally 29
    13 cmrtn 28
    14 forsbergfan 28
    15 Markyj 27
    16 nikitanikitin 27
    17 Rocky71 27
    18 Kjamieson 26
    19 Essej 26
    20 Dcamp12 24
    21 Bubba55 24
    22 burnsy00 24
    23 Magicstew 23
    24 pmorrow 23
    25 Nights 22
    26 newfcollins 20
    27 Axeman33 20
    28 dennis 20
    29 doulos 19
    30 Jussin88 19
    31 flyers94 17
    32 StuntMan12 16
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Administrator

Hot damn, Brad Lambert!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg