Thread: Carter Savoie

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Carter Savoie

Has he caught anyone else's eye yet? I've been monitoring him in the NCAA this year but haven't heard anything on Dobber.

Kid looks like an absolute horse and is scoring goals like it's easy pickins. Puck skills look legit. His speed/compete level have been knocked (along with his size) but those are areas that can be developed with NHL-level talent.

He obviously has nice bloodlines (Matt Savoie's older brother) which is something I like to see and his consistent annual growth is encouraging.

If there's ever a team where a stocky, shot-first winger prospect has a bright future, it's Edmonton. Anyone else have thoughts on him?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Carter Savoie

He scored most of his points against pretty bad teams. If he wasnt invited to WJC canadian camp that means something
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Pro

I think the Oilers have themselves a mid-round steal. I traded for Savoie as part of a larger deal where I had a choice among several prospects. I like to target the goal scorers and Savoie has done this at every level he’s played so far. Apparently he’s committed to the Oilers’ program of fitness and nutrition so that’s a good sign. He has a long way to go but so far so good.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    He scored most of his points against pretty bad teams. If he wasnt invited to WJC canadian camp that means something
    Good point - I'm surprised he wasn't invited, but players a lot better than him have been snubbed by Canada WJC too. They didn't invite Brandt Clarke and he's still one of the better dmen prospects in fantasy, so I wouldn't read into those decisions too much. Pretty sure RNH didn't even make the team the same year he went first overall...

I am definitely worried that the level of competition has inflated his numbers. The NCAA has gotten much better but there are still a lot of stinkers on the schedule. You definitely raise some valid concerns.

Dobber Sports Icon

If he wasnt invited to WJC canadian camp that means something
    All this means is that, once again, the powers that be of the world jr team in Canada are run by CHL people. The list of NCAA players who have made team Canada's world u20 team, is quite short.

Savoie is a great boom or bust prospect. Kid can flat out score. There is no question about that. Will the rest of his game be good enough for him to get a shot on a scoring role in the NHL...tough to say. With that said, Savoie is definitely worse the risk as he could very easily be a 30+ goal scorer.

Dobber Sports Sage

The guy scores goals. I always look for goal scorers
    He's at Denver and I dont know what kind of history they have producing NHL players. Borgstrom didnt work out but he's the only UD guy I can think of recently off the top of my head.
    WJC membership is frequently a main cause of overvaluing a prospect. Curtis Lazar on anyone's roster?
    I own Carter but my league has large prospect benches. So it makes sense to own him. You're buying a raffle ticket here and it has a small chance of working out. Thats good enough for me.

Dobber Sports Ace

University of Denver produces a lot of NHLers, relatively speaking. It's a top 10 NCAA hockey school:

Troy Terry, Paul Stastny, Jason Zucker, Danton Heinen, Will Butcher, Scott Mayfield, Tyler Bozak, etc.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    University of Denver produces a lot of NHLers, relatively speaking. It's a top 10 NCAA hockey school:

Troy Terry, Paul Stastny, Jason Zucker, Danton Heinen, Will Butcher, Scott Mayfield, Tyler Bozak, etc.
    Awesome post. I knew someone around here would have the knowledge.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Team Canada execs took Eric Desjardins, Shayne Corson, Keith Primeau, and Rob Zamuner to the Olympics.

Team Canada execs took 34YO Adam Foote, Ryan Smyth, 31YO Todd Bertuzzi, and Kris Draper to the Olympics.

Outside of appealing to authority, Team Canada roster decisions literally mean nothing.

The Great One

I'm very excited about Savoie. I've been following him closely since the Oilers drafted him.

He screams top 6 potential and he has the tenacity and shooting ability to be a very valuable winger in the NHL.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Team Canada execs took Eric Desjardins, Shayne Corson, Keith Primeau, and Rob Zamuner to the Olympics.

Team Canada execs took 34YO Adam Foote, Ryan Smyth, 31YO Todd Bertuzzi, and Kris Draper to the Olympics.

Outside of appealing to authority, Team Canada roster decisions literally mean nothing.
    Agreed. I put very little stock in Team Canada's decisions.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov