Thread: Stone vs. Laine

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Stone vs. Laine

Hey guys,

I got an offer this week which I'm having a hard time with, hoping for some help. I'm sitting in first right now and this trade offer came from the third place team in my league. He wants to send me Stone & Cirelli for Laine & Hartman. I got Hartman off the waiver wire when he started heating up so I'm happy to sell high on him, and normally this trade would be a no brainer. But after Laine put up 10 points in 9 games to start the season, causing just enough indecision on my part to need some advice. Then again, he is streaky and might not come back on the same heater that he was on to start the season.

League skating categories are G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG.

None of the players involved are likely to be a part of my keepers so that is a non factor (unless Laine goes off for a ridiculous season when he gets back - sometimes it's easy to forget he is still only 23 and has 153 goals in 360 career games). We only have one keeper at each position, so currently my forwards would be Pacioretty (LW), Draisaitl (C), P Kane (RW).

What do you guys think?

The Great One

Default Re: Stone vs. Laine

Would Laine be a keeper for him? I always ask this when trading a player like Laine in a limited keeper. Obviously right now Stone is a far more valuable asset. If you send him Laine what are the chances he’s available again in the draft? That will depend on Laine but also on the other GM’s roster. Seems likely Laine does not go off this year or perhaps ever while in Columbus. I’d feel safe trading him knowing he will then be available again if you really like the player. If you really like Laine and are comfortably in 1st you could just sit to tight. But then you’re throwing Laine back into the draft yourself. I’d probably take the higher value asset in Stone and see what happens. He may well represent a true keeper upgrade for a fellow GM later in the season that you can turn into a draft pick upgrade or possible keeper upgrade for you at another position. I’d probably take this trade.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Stud

This is a tough one. Contract year, great start to the season, much younger...I could convince myself of holding onto Laine as there are scenarios where he's a better keeper than Paccioretty or Kane (not sure if Laine is multi position eligible in your league). There's a lot to like about Stone too, even more so when Eichel joins Vegas.

I think I lean VERY slightly towards the Stone / Cirelli side. Only because if you're in first and going for it this year, you want to put yourself in the best position to win now. Often times that means trading away the future. In this case, you'd be sacrificing what Laine could become for production now (in Stone).
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks guys for the insight, it was very helpful. As alluded to, it's a close trade either way, but as I am in win-now mode I think I'm going to take the deal! There's a good chance Laine will be available in the draft next year anyways, so I will look to target him then as part of my retooling/getting younger for future seasons.

My fingers will be crossed for some instant chemistry once Eichel suits up on that top line with Stone and Patches!

The Great One

Seems like the best course of action to me. Good luck!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch