Thread: Dawson Mercer...yikes

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Dawson Mercer...yikes

Last couple of games....yikes. I don't know if it's match ups or the self-imposed pressure on the need to perform because Hughes is back but....yikes.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Dawson Mercer...yikes

The Devils have allowed 13 goals in the last two games. Back to backs on the road vs good teams. Terrible effort by the whole squad each night.
    You're singling out a rookie that's been one of the bright spots of their season nearly every game? Yikes...

Not sure if you are a Devils fan - I am and thus have seen nearly every shift of Mercer's career - yes he's made some mistakes as young players do, but all in all he's been great.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Love the kid, so entertaining to watch. I'm just questioning, and it's not an unfair question, if the kid is putting undue pressure on himself because Hughes is back. He knows Hughes is playing out of position on the wing. Maybe it's a temporary thing to avoid Hughes putting extra stress on his shoulder, maybe Hughes will settle in on the wing. But, maybe Mercer is putting too much pressure on himself to show he's a 2nd line center. Yes, it's only been two games but it's no coincidence that these two terrible games come after Hughes came back. In any event, he's enjoyable to watch. He's the kinda player I hoped Wood would have become.

Dobber Sports Pro

For sure, and that's a good point - but I don't think anything about his play in the last few games warrants a "yikes" reaction. The whole roster has been awful, it's not fair to make him a scapegoat when he's outplayed half his teammates all season. I haven't noticed him change his game since Hughes came back but it's clearly rocked the boat for the whole team. The only reason Hughes is playing wing is to protect his shoulder and avoid faceoffs- Jack even said that himself. So should be temporary.

I agree that Mercer is not a 2C. I also agree that if he's putting pressure on himself to prove here and now that he is, that's a mistake and would impact his play - but I just haven't see that manifested on the ice.

I like the Wood comparison- I've called him a Coleman with more skill. Kinda like a mix of the two, with way more puck skills and agility.

Dobber Sports Initiate

yah, I love Coleman's game. He's a Matt Martin with skill.