Thread: Game changer trade... need help

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Game changer trade... need help

I'm rebuilding in a 14 team points only league where we drop 6 players each year and draft back 6. The best 9F, 4D and 1G counts.

This is my team:
    F: Panarin, Rantanen, Barkov, Meier, Vehraghe, Norris, Vrana, Byfield, Hoglander, Mittlestatdt, Lundell, Tatar
    D: DeAngelo, Dahlin, Sandin, Smith, Valimaki, Bransstrom
    G: Sorokin, Demko

I have this offer from a team that compete:

Panarin + Meier + DeAngelo + Demko
    vs
    J. Hughes + Barzal + Lafreniere + Francouz + 1st pick 2023(might be top 5) + one of Kotkaniemi, McCann or 3rd round pick 2022

So would you make this deal? If so, which one of KK, McCann or 3rd round pick would be your choice?
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Game changer trade... need help

Rebuilding. I hate that term. It conveys a sense that you are a pathetic loser who has been broken to pieces and must be put back together. I can see the vultures circling you from here.

I never rebuild. Perennial contention is my modus operandi. It is a state of mind that has much more success than rebuilding ever will. I have seen many rebuilds over the years and mostly they are dismal failures. Trade away the A grade talent for dimes on the dollar then sit around losing for a couple of years hoping to get high picks. This process is flawed and rarely does a GM stick around long enough to see it through.

This trade looks like you are giving up a raft of pretty darn good players who are not "old" by any measurement. The OGM is skimming a lot of cream here.
    You get back a lot of volume. This likely sets back any rebuild you have going by 4-5 years.

Dobber Sports Pro

Not against the general idea, but he's asking too much. Maybe Panarin for Hughes, Lafreniere & a 1st? Make him earn it. You always need to consider who you'll need to drop at the end of the year as well, and if they're really much worse than who you're getting back.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Padawan

No way am I making this deal. Honestly, if you take out Panarin, I would then think about it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I also feel like you are giving too much. What is the goalie scoring?

I'm also generally not one to rebuild, excluding teams I take over from prior GM's, because making it both better and my own makes sense. Otherwise, I'm perpetually competing, at least in my own mindset, this is a much easier thought in dynasty where you get a core and keep it, and your league seems a heavy enough keeper to get to that point. Hope you get to that point.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

No way! This guy is carpet bombing you with lots of lesser talent and walking away with the gold. Quality vs Quantity and too be honest, this is one of the worst examples of this I've seen in a while. Tell the other GM thanks but no thanks.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ace

i dont like this for you at all. you're giving up all that production in hopes the players you acquire get to the level one day that the players you traded away are currently at? gonna buy these players and then sit and wait for them to hopefully live up to your potential. if you were keeping your core and then going out and trying to grab hughes or laffy to supplement them then i'd be onboard. your team doesnt look bad by any means either
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That's way too much to give up in one deal imo, if you're a rebuilder you should be stocking up on 1st round picks. Panarin is probably worth Hughes/Laf + McCann + two 1sts alone.
    I feel like you can get more selling those pieces individuality to different teams instead of one deal where your just getting 1 or 2 picks and a few good prospects.
    Francouz, McCann and probably Barzal at this point shouldn't have much value to you as you're probably looking for guys under 24 to rebuild with.
    Demko is also a younger goalie who is having a bad season so far so i'm not sure why you would want to move him at the low value he is

Dobber Sports Rookie

hard no.

Dobber Sports Initiate

One word: NO