Thread: O’Reilly and Barrie for Dubois/Clarke/Yamamoto/2nd round prospect pick

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default O’Reilly and Barrie for Dubois/Clarke/Yamamoto/2nd round prospect pick

So this is a deep (25 main + 20 minor) 16 team dynasty league with G, A, PPP, +/-, Hits, SOG, GAA, W, SV%, and SHU as categories. I am in contention so trying to improve my team. My D can certainly be better - Burns, Toews, Ghost, Spurgeon, Orlov, Parayko, Ristolainen and we start 6. I have a few good Dmen prospects (headed by Clarke) but unlikely to make a difference this year.

The other owner wants to package O’Reilly and Barrie to get a young center. He does not want to trade just Barrie. While he is good, I feel like Dubois has close value to O’Reilly and potentially more now. Clarke is too good to give up. I am just not convinced Barrie is going to continue to play on that 1st PP unit with Bouchard getting better and better.

Am I crazy here?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: O’Reilly and Barrie for Dubois/Clarke/Yamamoto/2nd round prospect pick

This season through the 23-24 season I think you win on this trade -- however, becomes a bit more questionable after that. ROR and Dubois are pretty even in the short term. While anything is possible, I don't see Bouchard coming for Barrie's PP1 spot this year or next - Ken Holland signed Barrie to eat the PP1 minutes and Bouchard seems like a better defenseman than Barrie (who is almost entirely one dimensional). I'd start worrying more about ROR and Barrie in the 24'-25 season once Barrie's current contract is up. Then again, if Yamamoto develops into a 70 pt guy during that period, it flips the scales on you again - but he's not showing that this year (but is another concern).

Looking at the current Edmonton cap situation, it looks like Holland will be able to get the Puljujarvi deal done, and Yamamoto's lack of production, means he should be able to also fit him comfortably under the cap as well. Thus, I don't think a Barrie trade will be necessary to fit under the cap as Holland should have the dollars to sign a full roster.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: O’Reilly and Barrie for Dubois/Clarke/Yamamoto/2nd round prospect pick

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    This season through the 23-24 season I think you win on this trade -- however, becomes a bit more questionable after that. ROR and Dubois are pretty even in the short term. While anything is possible, I don't see Bouchard coming for Barrie's PP1 spot this year or next - Ken Holland signed Barrie to eat the PP1 minutes and Bouchard seems like a better defenseman than Barrie (who is almost entirely one dimensional). I'd start worrying more about ROR and Barrie in the 24'-25 season once Barrie's current contract is up. Then again, if Yamamoto develops into a 70 pt guy during that period, it flips the scales on you again - but he's not showing that this year (but is another concern).

Looking at the current Edmonton cap situation, it looks like Holland will be able to get the Puljujarvi deal done, and Yamamoto's lack of production, means he should be able to also fit him comfortably under the cap as well. Thus, I don't think a Barrie trade will be necessary to fit under the cap as Holland should have the dollars to sign a full roster.
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am just hesitant with the ice time Barrie has been getting and him possibly losing that PP1 spot.

Any other thoughts?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't think you're crazy for feeling that way.

I prefer O'Reilly slightly to DuBois at the moment.
    Barrie is better right now that what you're getting back, but I do worry that he's so one dimensional that he's in danger of not helping you outside of the scoring categories.

There should be a way to improve on those lower end D from the wire or from a lesser trade where you give up less future.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I don't think you're crazy for feeling that way.

I prefer O'Reilly slightly to DuBois at the moment.
    Barrie is better right now that what you're getting back, but I do worry that he's so one dimensional that he's in danger of not helping you outside of the scoring categories.

There should be a way to improve on those lower end D from the wire or from a lesser trade where you give up less future.
    Thank you Steve for validating my feeling about this trade! There is nothing on the wire as it is a very deep league. I grabbed Erik Johnson recently if that tells you who is out there.
    I think I will try to improve by making a smaller trade like you suggest.

Thanks! Rep coming.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    Thank you Steve for validating my feeling about this trade! There is nothing on the wire as it is a very deep league. I grabbed Erik Johnson recently if that tells you who is out there.
    I think I will try to improve by making a smaller trade like you suggest.

Thanks! Rep coming.
    Johnson is actually rostered in 2 of my 3 leagues, one of which is a cap league, but it's got very friendly cap rules; it's also 900 players deep. You might try looking for a guy who can help you specifically with specific categories.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

What are your scoring cats? Bottom line here, if FOW is a cat, O'Reilly's value is significantly increased. Even so, I like this deal for you provided you are confident that your team is in the mix for a championship. Yes you are giving up some prospects but to be honest this is by no means an outrageous price to pay for the likes of O'Reilly and Barrie. If you think this will make the difference, jump on it.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf