Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nexts Swiss G out of nowhere

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Nexts Swiss G out of nowhere

he is average at AHL but appears to be close to elite at NHL level so far this year...lots to do with the team imo but he is holding his own. Time will tell if he can sustain the play for 50-60 games to become a starter one day...goalies change a lot year to year unless you talking to p 5 studs...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

True - he could still end up being a flash in the pan. But his trajectory has been remarkable so far, playing in the USHL two seasons ago and now looking very solid in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think he's better than Blackwood from what I've seen, so that's a plus.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

This post just continues to look better and bettwr- two more quality starts in the bag- all this team needs is adequate goaltending to do some serious damage. What a great name too!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Catchy name indeed. He doesn't have any Japanese origin, but both his parents were/are pretty deep into Karate, so that's apparently why they picked such a name

Dobber Sports Monster

First playoff W for Schmid at age 22.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Blackwood isn't getting a qualifying offer from the Devils, if they are smart. Trade his rights for something, sure - but no offer, he's just not good enough.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I saw a post awhile ago (here or reddit not sure) that said Blackwood had enough draft pedigree/name value to get another chance somewhere. I think he still could- hes pretty young for a goalie but I do think he's done in NJ...

This Schmid post is golden! I missed him on waivers so I asked about him and the guy who got him was happy to trade for a 3rd rounders this year (18 team league goes 3 rounds- nhl draft eligible only) and even though I caught some flack at the time its just aged like a fine wine.

BTW you gotta love the ramblings today where he sais vanecek is still the starter next year... barring a superhuman run from schmid lol! With his collection of starts this year, how poised he looked and VV putting up two dumplings (vbs)- doesn't it sort of feel like thats where this is headed??

I've had no luck with "cant miss" guys like petersen, swayman, Elvis, blackwood , and cossa (its early there but I passed on gulp- wallstedt )- and its crazy to think my answer in net could end up being akira based on an innocuous post from early in the season- thanks wotan!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Haha - I'd like to express my thanks to Schmid for making me look like a genius for having started this thread back in the day

You're very welcome Poolparty, I'm glad this was useful to some of you guys...

Also we're sitting in pretty much the same boat: In my dynasty league I also thought Elvis and Petersen were going to be my best Gs at the start of this season while in reality it was guys from the top of the dungheap that kept my team's goaltending afloat eventually: Korpisalo and Copley. And Schmid for spot duty.

The Great One

Schmid is only 22. I don’t think he’s fantasy relevant until 24-25 season at the earliest. I agree Vanecek will probably be the starter next year. Maybe they go out and get someone else. At $3.4 mil for Vancek they aren’t locked in on him as the starter.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

It was useful to me, but I got him in basically none of my leagues. He was already owned in 2, and in one, he's not worth rostering due to having no minors, one starter, and my goalies are Igor & Oettinger.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

This is what always levels out my expectations- the amount of goalies to have a consistently positive impact before they're 25 in the modern era is essentially zero. If that holds true here it likely means another year of backing up- one more year of tandeming or being a starter with bad results and then a breakout season. I'm not sure his leash is long enough for all of those scenarios should they come to fruition. I'll be rooting for him though!

Its been my theory for awhile now that when you have a truly dominant team you really just don't need a gaebreaker in net to find success. If Schmid can find a tad more consistency and maintain his "unphased" demeanour- i could see him bucking the trend on this team! Even then I feel like doing so at 23 is a tall order- which means one year of waiting still at a minimum...