Thread: Any scenario where Oettinger stays put?

The Great One

Default Any scenario where Oettinger stays put?

In my main league I grabbed Oettinger late in my draft, figuring despite the Stars having Holtby, Khudobin and Bishop he could somehow find a way to get to the NHL (check!) and make an impact (check!). But I realize there's a lot more to him staying put than just that. I realize the Stars see him as their goalie of the future, but is there any way that future is prior to 2024-25, when all three of them will be off the books? Is there a realistic hope Oettinger can stay in the NHL this season, or, failing that, can at least be in the picture for 2022-23?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Any scenario where Oettinger stays put?

In the picture for 2022-23 is easy. Here's the Stars cap:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

All Oettinger needs is two of:
    1. Holtby to not be resigned, to be traded, or to retire.
    2. Khudobin to be traded, or retire.
    3. Bishop to fail to come back healthy and good, and/or retire.

#3 is pretty likely, honestly. Therefore you're just hoping the Stars clear up the logjam by moving on form either Khudobin or Holtby.

For this year, it's all about injuries, unless the Stars fall out of the race and deal a goalie.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    In the picture for 2022-23 is easy. Here's the Stars cap:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

All Oettinger needs is two of:
    1. Holtby to not be resigned, to be traded, or to retire.
    2. Khudobin to be traded, or retire.
    3. Bishop to fail to come back healthy and good, and/or retire.

#3 is pretty likely, honestly. Therefore you're just hoping the Stars clear up the logjam by moving on form either Khudobin or Holtby.

For this year, it's all about injuries, unless the Stars fall out of the race and deal a goalie.
    #4 Buyouts of any of the aforementioned, which is likely in the offseason.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Some teams may be interested in one of the many aging goalies in Dallas. Perhaps Edmonton or buffalo can help Oettinger get more time.

The Great One

I suspect that Holtby won't be on the team next year, no matter what happens. Bishop and Khudobin have one year left, but given their ages and propensity for injury (especially Bishop), I feel there's an extremely good chance that Oettinger is on the team next year.

Most goalie situations are uncertain year-to-year, but none moreso than Dallas. It is well worth a risk to retain Oettinger in the hopes that he's fantasy relevant next season.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In the last month Oettinger is 3-0 with a 1.29 GAA and .955 sv%. Khudobin is 2-2 with a 4.03 GAA and .865sv%. Holtby is 0-3 with a 3.28 GAA and .876 sv%.

It is a small sample, but the other realistic scenario is that Dallas wants to win games and finds a way to stick with the goalie that gives them the best shot to do that.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I realize the Stars see him as their goalie of the future, but is there any way that future is prior to 2024-25, when all three of them will be off the books? Is there a realistic hope Oettinger can stay in the NHL this season, or, failing that, can at least be in the picture for 2022-23?
    We can only go off speculation cause obviously DAL isn't spelling out their plan. But I think it's Oettinger's net in the 22/23 season. I think AT LEAST 2 of their 4 goalie carosel will be gone before next season starts. Whether that be trade, buy-out, retirement, perma-LTIR, etc.

As for this season, it's a lot trickier. I have this weird feeling they are just going to defer back to Holtby being the 1A once he's healthy. I could see Khudobin being moved or even buried if Oettinger continues to earn his spot, but I still think at best you're looking at a 50/50 split this year. Then the ultimate wild card factor is Bishop. He was a top 5, elite goalie prior to injury, but has barely played in 2 years. I actually believe he is "healthy" right now, but he can't play because the Stars need more cap space in order to activate him.

The truth is, the Stars goaltending is an absolute mess, trying to predict what will happen going forward is a crapshoot. Oettinger is certainly worth holding in a deep keeper league, but his value for this season is TBD.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I mean Oettinger is a major stud and he was great last year. I have no idea why they signed Holtby who was not great for Vancouver... Oettinger is the best goalie they have and I don't think it's relatively close (sorry bishop but s'bandaid). So yeah, if they don't go with Otty they are just being stubborn or dumb.

Weekly H2H, Points Only, Keeper League - 10 team - Keep 14 (+ 2 rookies, under 25 GP) - dress 12 F, 6 D, 2 G (Wins: 2 pts, OTL: 1 pt, SO: 1 pt) - 30 Roster max w/ 1 IR spot which opens up one roster spot.

FW: Aho, Eichel, Draisatl, Rantanen, Marchand, Matthews, Kyrou, J. Robertson, Bergeron, Duchene, Boldy, Toffoli, Kempe, Krejci, Schmaltz

D: Rielly, Heiskenen, Dobson, Drysdale, Byram, Nurse, Weegar, Matheson, Clarke

G: Andersen, Georgiev, Francouz, Kotchetkov, Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Initiate

If he wins today against the Avs, i will be grabbing him...
    12 Team H2H - 3C/3LW/3RW/4D/4BN
    G,A,PPP,PIM,+-,SOG,SHP
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Dobber Sports Ace

Another great game for Oettinger, I hope they find a way to keep him up

Dobber Sports Star

the net has to be his at this point at least for the next little while right? beats the avalanche on the first half of a b2b where they play arizona on the second night. couldve easily played holtby or dobby then go with otter for the second game. nope, went with otter vs the avalanche
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.