Thread: Cal Petersen

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Cal Petersen

So, what do we think about him? Is he really the future starter of LAK? I kept him as my second goalie over Elvis and I am kinda regretting it so far.

I am Kings fan and I feel like I either underestimate or overestimate our players a bit sometimes, so would like to hear some neutral opinions.
    Quick looks much better than him this season. While Petersen had more good than bad starts, I saw a bit more soft goals than I would like.

Would you drop him for some FA goalie? I mean, if there was someone with better stats/opportunity. Right now there is only Reimer, Hill, Greiss, Khudobin, Anderson or Bernier, so I am holding. I am also aiming to compete next season, not this one. My other goalies are Ullmark and Swayman.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Cal Petersen

It’s getting to the point in my league where dropping him and just streaming 3 goalie starts would be twice as beneficial.

I think the same would apply to you.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Wizard

he is a young goalie on sub par defensive team...give it time...in one year league he is probably 20-30 ranked goalie...for future i put him top 15
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm buying Petersen wherever I can right now (in keeper formats) because his value is currently low but the prognosis for the future is still excellent.

You kept him over Merz for a reason (maybe partly fandom but that's ok too). If it's a 1-year then yeah, have to ride the hot hands. But in a keeper, agree with Belexus that he's trending a future top 10-15 guy... well worth keeping.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Genius

Unless this is a Keep 15 or above like dynasty, I can’t imagine any scenario where he is a keeper. In my league, I drafted him with high hopes based on FHG and he has disappointed and will soon be dropped for a streamer to get 3 starts in matchups I choose.

He has zero trade value when 15 goalies are ranked higher than him as FA’s.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It is a keep 12 league with 12 teams, usually every team keeps 2 G, so around 24 goalies are kept.
    Also every team usually rosters 3 goalies as 1/3 of categories are goalie based (W, L, GA, SV, SV% and SO).
    Fortunately Swayman is my prospect, so I can add/drop him as I like to stream other goalies.

I am just a bit concerned for the future right now. Thought I had a decent duo with Ullmark and Petersen, but neither is looking that good right now.
    On the other hand, Ullmark is on a new team and after an injury, while BOS had a weird schedule so far and he was getting tougher opposition.
    Kings with no Doughty and Walker.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't think Quick keeps this up, so I think Petersen gets more of the share as the season goes on. And Petersen is one with the new contract kicking in next season. To add, the Kings in all their draft pick accumulation, haven't invested significant capital in goalies. So, yes, at this point, he's the future starter.

But he is already 27 and LA is probably a few years away from being a powerhouse team, so it's not a sure thing. So, whether there is a big window here for long-term success, I'm not as confident as some.

With nobody better on the wire and no plan to compete, he's a hold and see how this season plays out.

Dobber Sports Guru

I keep Petersen, and it's not even close to a tough decision. Quick is free agent in the summer of 2023. I expect Petersen to take over the team fully by then.

If you're not worried about goaltending until next season, don't worry about guys on the waiver wire such as Reimer, Greiss, Anderson or Bernier. The only one I would consider would be Hill, but even then, I'd rather Petersen.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ace

I think that the "play-every-other-game" strategy that the Kings are using is hurting him. They handed him the new contract, thus saying that they put their faith in him. They now need to walk the walk and let him play a string of games in a row to get comfortable and get into the flow of things. The only problem, of course, is that Quick is playing lights out. Hopefully, once he comes back to Earth, Petersen will be given strings of games to get into a rhythm. The same can be said for Samsonov in Washington. Like, the guy got a shut out two weeks back, and then they went right back to Vanecek a few nights later. With b2b shutout appearances for Samsonov, I would like to see him given a run with some leash to see what he can do. The same goes with Petersen. I'm holding him, unless it's a one year in which case I'm streaming.