Thread: [RETIRED] Dion Phaneuf

Dobber Sports Titan

Default [RETIRED] Dion Phaneuf

Dion officially retires. Cites the reasoning why he didn't retire the last yr+ was because of COVID and he wanted to do it in front of people.

He's retiring as a Leaf I do believe...he's at the game tonight and they will honour him tonight. He did the presser in front of the Leafs reporters and stuff. Cited Larry Tanenbaum supporting him through all this process.

He said he played the most games as a Leaf, was their captain. Pretty cool he chose Toronto as the place he would retire as vs Calgary as he was from there (Edmonton) and his wife (Calgary).

Phaneuf job shadowed with Shanahan last month I do believe? Or for a bit of the off-season and October. He kept mentioning it in the presser in past-tense so I don't think he's doing it anymore.

Here's his presser today
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYXQiL6tWs
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [RETIRED] Dion Phaneuf

Leafs fans will congratulate him, and say the loved him. Any conversation with anyone one of them from '09-'16 would lead you to believe he was a pylon.

Solid career all around for this guy.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hated Dion in Calgary, but as an Oiler fan that's baked into my DNA. Always a tough guy to play against, and particularly in those early Calgary years, he was a force to reckon with. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Dobber Sports Jedi

There were good and bad moments with Dion.
    Re-signing him for $8m was tough, he wasn't worth that salary anymore - that's where most of the hate stemmed. Value for declining pay.
    A couple mil. less and there's more leeway. That 'C' carries serious weight with that media too.
    If we're talking about dislike - it's the Leafs media - therein lies the problem. They speak for the fans without talking to the fans.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Dion officially retires. Cites the reasoning why he didn't retire the last yr+ was because of COVID and he wanted to do it in front of people.
    This is something I hadn't thought about, but it makes sense. When you play for fans, you want to say goodbye in front of them if possible.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Between his pylon defense and robotic interviews I just couldn't stand the guy. The only thing good about him was being able to see Elisha Cuthbert around town from time to time.

He had his best years in Calgary and we rode him to the bottom unfortunately.

Dobber Sports Pro

He went for the money and glory in the Big Smoke. He’s all yours.