View Poll Results: Which Three Players Will Be the Calder Finalists for 2021-22?

Voters
109. This poll is closed
  • Bowen Byram

15 13.76%
  • Alexander Carrier

0 0%
  • Cole Caufield

4 3.67%
  • Jonathan Dahlen

12 11.01%
  • Jamie Drysdale

4 3.67%
  • William Eklund

5 4.59%
  • Filip Gustavsson

5 4.59%
  • Kaapo Kahkonen

0 0%
  • Spencer Knight

11 10.09%
  • Anton Lundell

18 16.51%
  • Nils Lundkvist

0 0%
  • Alex Nedeljkovic

3 2.75%
  • Lucas Raymond

78 71.56%
  • Marco Rossi

4 3.67%
  • Moritz Seider

86 78.90%
  • Jeremy Swayman

8 7.34%
  • Phillip Tomasino

2 1.83%
  • Karel Vejmelka

2 1.83%
  • Trevor Zegras

55 50.46%
  • One or More Rookies not Listed

2 1.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Calder Nominees

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Calder Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Bunting was tied for 2nd in goals, 2nd in assists, first in points, 2nd in +/-. So I think it's not a shock he was nominated. Be mad at the rules if you think because he's 26yrs old he doesn't deserve to be there. The fact he's 2days off from the cut off (Sept 15th cut off, Sept 17th his bday) shouldn't effect what he's done.

Kirill Kaprizov and Artemi Panarin were 24yrs old when they won and people were upset when Panarin won, but less upset when Kaprizov won, but now upset that Bunting is nominated? Binnington was 25yrs old when he was nominated. Kubalik was 24yrs old when he was nominated. Nedeljkovic was 25yrs old when he was nominated. It happens every yr where there's guys being nominated (or winning) the Calder who are in their mid-20s. This yr people are just more vocal because it's the Leafs stealing a player when they just lost Hyman. Same reason why people were mad at Panarin winning it but not Kaprizov. Chicago was a good team who had cap casualties and replaced them with a free asset.
    I don't think anybody is "upset", just pointing out that they don't think he should be there and that the system is flawed. That is worthy of this conversation.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I don't think anybody is "upset", just pointing out that they don't think he should be there and that the system is flawed. That is worthy of this conversation.

Rylant
    I think it's more the team he plays for is influencing the idea that the system is flawed. It's been flawed for a while but because Bunting is a Leaf, and on the edge of eligibility, it's brought more voices to the forefront. No one questioned the ages to the degree they are now the last 2 Calder yrs which included 2 older rookies (Kaprizov and Binnington). But because it's a Leaf this yr, those eyes on the eligibility rules gets ramped up.

I think it's a larger issue that can't easily be rewritten because the NHL CBA's and definitions has a rookie as 25and younger as of Sept 15th of the season. There's a lot of other stuff locked around those rules, and if the trophy is "Rookie of the Year", then you can have to tie it to the CBA definition of rookie.

You can rewrite the Calder Trophy to the most outstanding U20 yr old I guess? Call it the Most Outstanding Junior NHL Player. But you couldn't keep it the ROTY trophy and easily change the definition of rookie.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

I think Seider will win it but I'm rooting for Bunting.

Raised by a single mother, he just didn't have the money available to play higher level hockey.

It makes sense his development took longer then others.

To say he doesn't deserve to be in Calder conversation because of his age is a really bad look imo.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bunting was tied for 2nd in goals, 2nd in assists, first in points, 2nd in +/-. So I think it's not a shock he was nominated. Be mad at the rules if you think because he's 26yrs old he doesn't deserve to be there. The fact he's 2days off from the cut off (Sept 15th cut off, Sept 17th his bday) shouldn't effect what he's done.

Kirill Kaprizov and Artemi Panarin were 24yrs old when they won and people were upset when Panarin won, but less upset when Kaprizov won, but now upset that Bunting is nominated? Binnington was 25yrs old when he was nominated. Kubalik was 24yrs old when he was nominated. Nedeljkovic was 25yrs old when he was nominated. It happens every yr where there's guys being nominated (or winning) the Calder who are in their mid-20s. This yr people are just more vocal because it's the Leafs stealing a player when they just lost Hyman. Same reason why people were mad at Panarin winning it but not Kaprizov. Chicago was a good team who had cap casualties and replaced them with a free asset.
    Those same leaf fans that were upset about Kaprizov last year about his age, are banging the bunting drums a little too hard this year.

and i'm sorry Invictus, the fact he was raised by a single mother means absolute nothing to this trophy. Many many many many kids being raised by single parents that have a tough go at it without ever "making" it. I honestly really hate that "storyline" for lack of better term.

If Seider or Zegras (Seider should though) don't win, it's a big fat shame on the league as far as I'm concerned.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think it's more the team he plays for is influencing the idea that the system is flawed. It's been flawed for a while but because Bunting is a Leaf, and on the edge of eligibility, it's brought more voices to the forefront. No one questioned the ages to the degree they are now the last 2 Calder yrs which included 2 older rookies (Kaprizov and Binnington). But because it's a Leaf this yr, those eyes on the eligibility rules gets ramped up.

I think it's a larger issue that can't easily be rewritten because the NHL CBA's and definitions has a rookie as 25and younger as of Sept 15th of the season. There's a lot of other stuff locked around those rules, and if the trophy is "Rookie of the Year", then you can have to tie it to the CBA definition of rookie.

You can rewrite the Calder Trophy to the most outstanding U20 yr old I guess? Call it the Most Outstanding Junior NHL Player. But you couldn't keep it the ROTY trophy and easily change the definition of rookie.
    At the same time, we can rewrite the Norris Trophy to the most offensive defenseman seeing as that's what catches the voters eyes most.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Those same leaf fans that were upset about Kaprizov last year about his age, are banging the bunting drums a little too hard this year.

and i'm sorry Invictus, the fact he was raised by a single mother means absolute nothing to this trophy. Many many many many kids being raised by single parents that have a tough go at it without ever "making" it. I honestly really hate that "storyline" for lack of better term.

If Seider or Zegras (Seider should though) don't win, it's a big fat shame on the league as far as I'm concerned.
    I honestly really hate the story line of he's too old.

You missed the point
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At the same time, we can rewrite the Norris Trophy to the most offensive defenseman seeing as that's what catches the voters eyes most.
    I agree, I think that's garbage too to be honest. Hell, even the hart trophy I think the finalist aren't necessarily worthy over some of other candidates.

For example, I think Josi should win the hart, not the norris.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post

I don't think many Leaf fans cared about the Calder last yr. So I think you're probably wrong on this. We both have the same amount of evidence tho so it's pretty moot
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

For me it's not as much the age as it is he played with two 10 players all year. Panarin and Kaprizov were stars in the making so that's a bit different.

Not that I really care anyway. Just give it to Mo.

Dobber Sports Star

I would like to point out, I pretty firmly believe that Maple Leaf Haters exist specifically because of Maple Leaf Homers...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would like to point out, I pretty firmly believe that Maple Leaf Haters exist specifically because of Maple Leaf Homers...

Rylant
    Haha I've always stressed this to my buddies. The only reason I'm on them about the Leafs is because I spent my childhood against my entire school of Leafs fans.

I still remember getting 3 separate phone calls of just laughter when Edmonton beat Detroit.

Dobber Sports Star

I definitely agree with this. At least 80% of all leafs fans I've ever encountered (including here) have been insanely biased and insufferable. I truly believe they're brainwashed by the excessive leafs-centric media coverage they're fed.