Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be Patient with Petry?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Be Patient with Petry?

I know it's just not Petry, but the whole team, but how long do you wait for them to work out what's ailing them?

I can pick up Seider, Drysdale, Fowler, Gudas, Bouchard, and Schmidt from waivers.

Should I hang onto Petry or pick up one of the guys above?

This is for my team below.
    12-Team H2H Limited Keeper League, 40 moves max.
    Keep 5 (1 goalie max) for 3 years
    G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, SV%, SHO

C:
    Trocheck, Suzuki
    LW:
    Robertson - 1, Forsberg
    RW: Kucherov
    Nichushkin (LW/RW)
    F:
    Slafkovsy (LW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly,
    Nurse
    G:
    Oettinger - 3, Markstrom

Bench:
    Kopitar (C), W. Karlsson (C), Barbashev (C/LW), Schmaltz (C/RW), DeBrincat (RW) - 0

IR:
    Hamilton (D) - 3

The Great One

Default Re: Be Patient with Petry?

If there are such good options on the waiver wire now, then you have two choices (1) be patient with Petry, since there's no urgency to grab waiver guys before they're snatched up, or (2) drop Petry and go the route of streaming your D spot, making moves to bring guys in and out based on how good they're playing and their opponents.

I think with someone like Petry, it's option #1, as he'd be snatched up and pay dividends for whomever gets him. It would be one thing if Montreal could just push Petry aside and lean on Weber, but Weber's out, and like it or not it's Petry or bust for them. What we're seeing this season is he wasn't as good as he was last season, but he's still pretty darn good. How good? Name me another defensemen who had 11+ goals in each of the last four seasons? You can't because he was the only one. Be patient and he should reward you for not getting rid of him.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

I would wait it out with Petry. He's in such a prime spot to put up numbers. Seider is an intriguing option and I'd try to grab him if you can, but it's still Petry for me right now.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports All-Star

Petry patience pays…possibly.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sage

I oppose the mainstream here. I would grab Seider now. The guy is a future superstar and he is producing now. MTL obviously has lots of problems and they might not get it together this year. A month from now what will you do if Petry still sucks and the free agent bin is cleaned out? If you are in a keeper league Seider even makes more sense. Do you want to keep a 34 year old who is two years from retirement or a 21 year old stud on a Yzerman-built team?

Dobber Sports Guru

If you can stream (unlimited moves), I'd ride the hot hand. Seider looks outstanding, Drysdale will go on runs I'm sure, Bouchard could roll if given any time.
    Schmidt is off to a great start too.

That said, I was so bullish on Petry with Weber being gone. He could still pick up the pace. But the zeros are rough.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think you make a move, but who to pick up is a tough choice.

I like all of Seider, Drysdale, Bouchard, and Schmidt for the next few years, so figure out who fits your needs best.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I'm thinking about giving Petry some time and dropping a forward instead. I have to possibly address a lack of goalie starts. If Ullmark and Sorokin don't play this weekend, I've only got 2 goalie starts. After addressing that, I'll drop my goalie pickup for Seider and run with 5 D for a stretch. The only question is, which forward? I picked up Coleman after Rakell got injured and picked up Kyrou after giving up on T. Johnson. Coleman's got great peripheral stats to go with his points, but no PP time, Kyrou is on the 2nd PP.

So, is Kyrou the odd man out? The only problem with going this route is that I only have 3 eligible RWs after this.

C:
    Trocheck, Suzuki
    LW:
    Robertson - 1, Forsberg
    Nichushkin (LW/RW)
    F:
    Slafkovsy (LW)
    Nurse
    G:
    Oettinger - 3, Markstrom

Bench:
    Kopitar (C), W. Karlsson (C), Barbashev (C/LW), Schmaltz (C/RW), DeBrincat (RW) - 0

IR:
    Hamilton (D) - 3

Dobber Sports Master

its just a ''keep 5'' with 40 moves per season so I dont think Seidr is really factor as a future core pikup .

ride out Petry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the input.

I'm thinking about giving Petry some time and dropping a forward instead. I have to possibly address a lack of goalie starts. If Ullmark and Sorokin don't play this weekend, I've only got 2 goalie starts. After addressing that, I'll drop my goalie pickup for Seider and run with 5 D for a stretch. The only question is, which forward? I picked up Coleman after Rakell got injured and picked up Kyrou after giving up on T. Johnson. Coleman's got great peripheral stats to go with his points, but no PP time, Kyrou is on the 2nd PP.

So, is Kyrou the odd man out? The only problem with going this route is that I only have 3 eligible RWs after this.
    In this sort of multi-cat, you simply cannot drop Coleman, I have no idea why he wasn't on a roster. The only area he doesn't deliver is PPP, and that time may be coming soon. I'd drop Kyrou before I'd drop Coleman, and probably some others as well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Newbie

honestly, for your league's categories I think you can afford to be patient with Petry. It's tough seeing bagels on the board for points still, but he's a hits and blocks machine. And you have three other other solid offensive defensemen also. I'd ride it out unless you feel like you can afford to cut back on your hits/blocks totals.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks everyone. I'll hang onto him longer.

C:
    Trocheck, Suzuki
    LW:
    Robertson - 1, Forsberg
    Nichushkin (LW/RW)
    F:
    Slafkovsy (LW)
    Nurse
    G:
    Oettinger - 3, Markstrom

Bench:

IR:
    Hamilton (D) - 3

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Chantal Machabée (journalist on the Canadiens beat) says she saw Petry Saturday in the hotel lobby in LA. He had a hard time putting one foot in front of the other. So much that she even wondered why he was not in a wheelchair. She is convinced that he's playing injured.

https://919sports.ca/91-9-sports/chr...01/39663/#main
    Points Only Keep 8 league with 8 teams.
    25 Man Roster, Best 12F-6D-2G count

F - Kucherov, Panarin, Aho, Svechnikov
    , Gaudreau, Kaprizov
    D - Josi

G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

"Jeff Petry just one of a handful of players taking Montreal's optional skate this morning. No sign of Brendan Gallagher."
    Eric Engels @EricEngels
    https://twitter.com/EricEngels/statu...43762034302980
    Sounds like he's still alive and skating. But that quote above about him having trouble walking is concerning.

I'm debating whether to punt Petry to IR+ for a while and replace him with someone else while we get more insight into what is going on with Petry and Montreal offence in general . .

Edit: I picked up Rasmus Andersson, Petry going on my IR+

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've been patient with Petry for this long, I might as well see if he turns it around when Price returns.

That being said, Klingberg is also causing me a ton of grief. Is he droppable at this point? Some D that I'm looking at are: Gudas, Ferraro, Goligoski, Gostisbehere, Dahlin.
    The only thing that's making me hesitate with Gudas is that I already have Verhaeghe and Huberdeau on my roster, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I already have a trio from Carolina.

Or do I drop both Petry and Klingberg?

Thanks.

C:
    Trocheck, Suzuki
    LW:
    Robertson - 1, Forsberg
    Nichushkin (LW/RW)
    F:
    Slafkovsy (LW)
    Nurse
    G:
    Oettinger - 3, Markstrom

Bench:

IR:
    Hamilton (D) - 3