Thread: Max Comtois....What's wrong?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Max Comtois....What's wrong?

After having a sort of breakout last season, showing great chemistry with Zegras, Ducks for some reason decided to break up that pair before the season even began for no apparent reason.

And through the first few weeks of the season, Comtois has looked a shell of his former self. Been scratched twice all ready, which I honestly don't think is helping his confidence. And the change of linemates even seems to be effecting Zegras to an extent.

Anyone have any idea or theories as to what's going on with Max? Ducks actually showing some offense this season, but surprisingly, their leading scorer from last year and top Center prospect aren't among those and really can't figure out what to do with Comtois.

I am holding him for now, in deep league banger dynasty, but starting to get a bit worrying. No one seems that interested in trading for him either.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Max Comtois....What's wrong?

Well, his IPP of 82.5 was way too high last year, suggesting puck luck and regression due. Further more, he also shot 17% last year. Now, I kind of understand why he would have an inflated shooting percentage, these things often happen with players that clean up the garbage, with their goals coming in and around the net.

The good news is, the stats indicate that he's been incredibly unlucky. Only one goal has been scored when he's been on the ice EVS. Two goals have been scored with him on the PP. He was not involved in any of them. His xGF 5v5 is 3. His GF 5v5 is 1. All these things should correct themselves. He has a positive CF% of 52, suggesting his line drives possession.

The bad news is, his OZ starts are 40%, which means he's being employed in a shutdown role. He's also playing with Getzlaf, who is a player on decline and despite all those fancy advanced stats like corsi in his favor consistently for years, these don't result in anything on the stat-sheets.

He's still a young player. Inconsistency is to be expected and these things are magnified at the start of the season. He's been very unlucky to date, but at the same time, I would not expect production resembling last years. These things tend to happen when you're not a play driver (ie. the guy that makes the offense happen), which Comtois is not.
    12 Team Roto., 30 Player (20 Keeper) Yahoo Dynasty

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLK -- W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

4 - C/LW/RW
    6 - D
    3 - Util
    3 - G

C - Crosby, McDavid, O'Reilly, Couturier
    LW - Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Bennett, Fiala
    RW - Pastrnak, Kucherov, Caufield, Mangiapane
    Util - Lowry, Backstrom, McCann, Barzal, Pageau, E. Kane, Mercer, M. Foligno
    D - Dahlin, Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Pulock, Dobson, Faulk, Romanov

G - Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Bernier