Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Alexis Lafrenière?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Thoughts on Alexis Lafrenière?

I know I might be pressing the panic button way too early on him, but what do you guys make of this kid? His start to the season sure looks like last year… He’s playing on the top line and PP1, but things don’t seem to be clicking with Ziba and Kreider. I’ve been watching the Rangers’ games lately, and honestly, I just don’t see the elite playmaking abilities that everybody was raving about when he went first overall in the draft. I remember how dominant he was at the 2020 World Juniors, but he doesn’t replicate that at the next level.

I know patience is key, and Jack Hughes might be a great example of that, but at least with Hughes, you could see the flashes of greatness in his first two seasons. Anyway, I’m willing to be patient, but I’m just curious to read your thoughts about him.

Cheers!
    10-team dynasty league. Points only.
    We start 9 F + 6 D + 2 G. Bench of 10 players and 21 minors spots. 3 IR spots.
    Minor eligibility : Less than 150 NHL games.
    Goalies : 2 pts for a W, 4 pts for a SO + 1 pt for an OTL.

Roster
    F : Connor, Kopitar, Lindholm, O’Reilly, Scheifele, D. Strome, Thomas, Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Bratt, Duchene, Eberle, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares
    D : Carlson, Ekholm, Fox, Josi, Theodore, York, Fowler
    G : Lyon, Talbot, Bobrovsky, Gustavsson, Vasilevskiy
    IR : Hertl
    Minors : Berggren, Chinakhov, Drury, Kasper, Nazar, Othmann, Petrovsky, Poitras, Yurov, Edvinsson, Korchinski, Nikishin, Zamula, Hrabal, Portillo, Primeau, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Thoughts on Alexis Lafrenière?

Here's what I'll say about Lafreniere... and take it FWIW... but I've seen more "wow" moments from Lucas Raymond in 3 NHL games than I've seen from Lafreniere since he's been in the league. Same with Stutzle last year... he wowed me on many occassions... Lafreniere, not so much... at all.

Now, he could still end up a beast... a late bloomer like Stamkos or MacKinnon but so far, he's been massively underwhelming.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He's always been overrated. People calling him the best prospect since McDavid, a generational talent were out to lunch.

That being said, what makes him a special talent is that he has no weaknesses in his game. A very good (though not great) skater. A very good shot. Terrific vision and passer. Hockey smarts. Workman like attitude. Excellent board play, reminiscent of Sid. He'll be fine, he's an excellent prospect. But he may never be a flashy player. And he may very well not turn out to be the best player from the 2020 draft.
    12 Team Roto., 30 Player (20 Keeper) Yahoo Dynasty

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLK -- W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

4 - C/LW/RW
    6 - D
    3 - Util
    3 - G

C - Crosby, McDavid, O'Reilly, Couturier
    LW - Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Bennett, Fiala
    RW - Pastrnak, Kucherov, Caufield, Mangiapane
    Util - Lowry, Backstrom, McCann, Barzal, Pageau, E. Kane, Mercer, M. Foligno
    D - Dahlin, Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Pulock, Dobson, Faulk, Romanov

G - Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Bernier

The Great One

If this is dynasty league he's a keeper. If it's a partial re-draft then he's dropable until he shows more. He's got a ways to go before hitting the breakout threshold.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

I think it's too early to give up on Lafreniere. I fully admit that anytime I've watched him, he doesn't really stand out in any particular way. He's one of those players that, at least in junior and the World Juniors, always ended up on the scoresheet somehow despite not being a flashy player. In all honesty, Crosby is a lot like that. I'm not saying Lafreniere is going to be anything close to Crosby, but if you consider their playing style, they are similar. I often find myself surprised at the end of Pittsburgh games to see that, once again, Crosby was all over the scoresheet. Crosby is just so damn smart and dogged that he grinds his way to scoring points and impacting the game. Crosby is an elite player, but not flashy. I suspect that eventually Lafreniere will be a similar player, with a more limited upside. I never really thought Lafreniere would be a 100 pt player; however, I still think despite the "slow" start to his NHL career, he can still be a PPG player someday.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I think it's too early to give up on Lafreniere. I fully admit that anytime I've watched him, he doesn't really stand out in any particular way. He's one of those players that, at least in junior and the World Juniors, always ended up on the scoresheet somehow despite not being a flashy player. In all honesty, Crosby is a lot like that. I'm not saying Lafreniere is going to be anything close to Crosby, but if you consider their playing style, they are similar. I often find myself surprised at the end of Pittsburgh games to see that, once again, Crosby was all over the scoresheet. Crosby is just so damn smart and dogged that he grinds his way to scoring points and impacting the game. Crosby is an elite player, but not flashy. I suspect that eventually Lafreniere will be a similar player, with a more limited upside. I never really thought Lafreniere would be a 100 pt player; however, I still think despite the "slow" start to his NHL career, he can still be a PPG player someday.
    All this!!!

Dobber Sports Monster

Yahoo note.

"Alexis Lafreniere skated on the fourth line during Thursday's practice.

Advice: Lafreniere has had a lackluster start to his sophomore campaign with three goals and four points in 10 games. “He’s a young kid, we want him to do better and make sure he’s working hard,” coach Gerard Gallant said after the practice. “We chatted with the kid the other day, you go out there and work hard and see what happens. He wants to do better and we want a little bit more from him too. That’s on both sides of the puck. He’s a good kid and I always come back to him being young, but we got to grow up a little bit and you got to play a mature game.” It's quite the change from the start of the season when Lafreniere was playing with Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider, but hopefully this will be the learning opportunity that Gallant seems to want Lafreniere to make this into. Lafreniere's upside isn't in question, but his short-term fantasy value is minimal."

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Star

All of us rebuilding owners who are hoping for Lafreniere and Kakko to form the nucleus of our team are holding hands as we walk into the sea...

Dobber Sports Jedi

You answered your own question in your OP, multiple times.

you hold. you wait.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

I held Drouin for 6 years. The trouble is always that you need them to succeed right away or the value goes down immediately. Now you're faced with a conundrum. Do you hold and hope it gets better or do you get out before it gets worse? In the case of Drouin, it never got better. Not saying that would definitely be the case with any other player, just saying the name value is still there right now, I waited way too long.

It really depends on what you're trying to do with your team. If this isn't your year, you definitely hold. There no sense in selling low on a player that still has potential unless you think you're getting an even better quality player back. However, if you're making a run, then you might want to consider capitalizing on the value while it's there and try to upgrade to a player that helps you more in the short-term.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't know anyone with Sidney Crosby's hand-eye coordination or knack for plucking pucks out of the air and converting on the scoresheet like him. On an aside, Sid hit a grandslam out of a ball park. I know it was against a machine, but so what? How many of us can fire one out of the park like he did? And keep in mind he's not a focused baseball player. He honed his skills and attention to the game of hockey, but the guy is a natural born talent and athlete and that's just part of what makes Crosby so good. What he does around the net can sometimes be perceived as flashy, but I get what you mean, he's not as sexy as Pavel Bure was, or Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl is now, or even for that matter, his fellow teammate, Evgeni Malkin. I also find him very noticeable along the boards and corners... almost bulldogish in nature. He's continuously relentless on the puck. Very few can beat Crosby down low and win 1-on-1 puck battles against him. Perhaps that's not what you view as being flashy, but like the element of being flashy, it's something that even a new hockey fan can take notice. That being said, I do agree with you, players like Joe Thornton and Leon Draisaitl didn't amass great production right away. 7 points in 55 games and 9 in 37 into the start of their careers respectively from two former Art Ross winners and the current NHL leading scorer. People need patience with some players. While I was never sold on the hype that Alexis Lafrenière was almost up there with a McDavid in terms of upside, it's also too soon to start downplaying the kid's upside and tangibles. I have seen too many people get burned making premature statements about players that either proved them to be much better or worse than expected. I think one has to look at deployment, the style of their game, maybe asking the questions why they are struggling right now and why the numbers aren't there to back up the hype... Lots of things, confidence, learning the difference of time and space in the best league, adapting (some take longer than others)... see Draisaitl and where he was at 18 to 20 vs. McDavid and how close he is now the past few years to No. 97. Everyone gets it/breaks out at different stages in their careers. With some players it's right away. With others, it comes much later.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

For all the people who said he was a Generational talent, way more were saying he was not, more like a tier below.

It is still early. Laff has much more to give and show yet. You are still at the point of holding, unless you get a fantastic offer.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I thought (might still happen) this would be a tell tale type of year. Meaning he would take that step to where he’d be an important scorer for the Rangers, be a mainstay on the PP1. So far this season it hasn’t happened but as long as Rangers management see him as an integral piece of the near future then he’ll get his chances. To me, if he continues to be mediocre then next year becomes a very important time in his young career. Let’s hope we can see that talent shine through.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I held Drouin for 6 years. The trouble is always that you need them to succeed right away or the value goes down immediately. Now you're faced with a conundrum. Do you hold and hope it gets better or do you get out before it gets worse? In the case of Drouin, it never got better. Not saying that would definitely be the case with any other player, just saying the name value is still there right now, I waited way too long.

It really depends on what you're trying to do with your team. If this isn't your year, you definitely hold. There no sense in selling low on a player that still has potential unless you think you're getting an even better quality player back. However, if you're making a run, then you might want to consider capitalizing on the value while it's there and try to upgrade to a player that helps you more in the short-term.
    Good post, right here.

No need and no time to panic about Lafreniere yet if you're rebuilding or, even if you're not, you have the luxury of having sufficient depth to just sit on him. But also not a horrible time to shop him if you're a contender. There's still plenty of bloom on that rose -- and it's because he still may be just fine and turn out to be a very good player at the NHL level. It's just very unlikely to be right now. As often is the case, whether to hold, buy or or explore selling a given player often has just as much to do with where you're at with your own team as it does with predicting (guessing, really) whether the player at issue is generational, a total bust, or somewhere in between.

P.s. I really dislike the whole "generational" talent label. It's thrown around far, far too often. With how many generational talents have come out in the last half decade or so, we seem to have about 15 generations living and playing right now.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    This. Exactly this. I've asked myself that question a million times.

But you're all bringing great points folks. And like random-d said, there's no point in selling low on him right now. Anyway, my team is a total train wreck, as all of my prospects are doing next to nothing right now. So I guess I'll just suffer in silence, hold him and hope he finishes the season on a good note.

Appreciate your input folks. It's been fun to read your replies.
    10-team dynasty league. Points only.
    We start 9 F + 6 D + 2 G. Bench of 10 players and 21 minors spots. 3 IR spots.
    Minor eligibility : Less than 150 NHL games.
    Goalies : 2 pts for a W, 4 pts for a SO + 1 pt for an OTL.

Roster
    F : Connor, Kopitar, Lindholm, O’Reilly, Scheifele, D. Strome, Thomas, Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Bratt, Duchene, Eberle, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares
    D : Carlson, Ekholm, Fox, Josi, Theodore, York, Fowler
    G : Lyon, Talbot, Bobrovsky, Gustavsson, Vasilevskiy
    IR : Hertl
    Minors : Berggren, Chinakhov, Drury, Kasper, Nazar, Othmann, Petrovsky, Poitras, Yurov, Edvinsson, Korchinski, Nikishin, Zamula, Hrabal, Portillo, Primeau, Prosvetov