Thread: This Week + ROS: Sorokin / Vanecek / Swayman / Holtby

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default This Week + ROS: Sorokin / Vanecek / Swayman / Holtby

Hi everyone. Curious how we are feeling about these 4 (feel free to include any others you feel might be in this tier of fantasy goalies). I'll offer my perspective on each, but keep in mind I'm a relatively new fan to the game.

Ilya Sorokin
    - A miserable first week saw Sorokin and the Islanders get handed 2 L's with 10 goals against. I didn't watch either game, but from the sounds of it, the Isles defense is really letting Sorokin down early. It sounds like Varlamov will be back soon, and it's hard to believe Sorokin has done enough to earn more time.
    This week: he gets the Blackhawks, Jackets, Coyotes, and Knights this week, so does he remain a good play?

Vitek Vanecek
    - Maybe the surprise goalie of the young year, Vanecek is seeing legitimate time ahead of Samsonov, and he's giving the Caps good reason to keep it that way with a .938 SV% and 1.44 GAA against the Rangers and Lightning. He was exposed during the expansion draft which had people thinking he was the obvious second in command, but is that still the case?
    This week: the Caps see the Avs, Devils, Flames, and Senators

Jeremy Swayman
    - If not Vanecek, the surprise is probably Swayman earning the season opening start over free agent acquisition Linus Ullmark. A lot of people are still expecting Ullmark to grow into the 1A role considering his contract, but Swayman has given the team little reason to deviate over his short sample of starts. Whoever is in the crease on this team will hold legitimate value on a strong Bruins team defense.
    This week: Flyers, Sabres, Sharks. How many games does Swayman realistically see though?

Braden Holtby
    - I admittedly know the least about Holtby from this group. I was under the impression he'd be more of the 1B to Khudobin, but he came out the starter in the Stars first two games of the year and posted strong numbers against the Bruins and Rangers. Will this type of usage continue? The Stars are certainly a good enough team/defense to make him relevant if so.
    This week: Penguins, Kings, Jackets. Not a gauntlet of opponents by any means.

Alright. How are we ranking these guys both short term and long term (rest of season)? Fwiw, my perspective is aligned with a scoring format including Wins.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: This Week + ROS: Sorokin / Vanecek / Swayman / Holtby

i think in short term Sorokin is only one who has #1 for sure, maybe Holtby.

I fully suspect Samsonov and Ullmark to take the jobs.

Long term (this year) i think all with maybe exception of Holtby will be 1B at best
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports All-Star

If VV keeps playing the way he has, Samsonov is #2. But it’s very early and it’s still sunny outside.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sorokin will likely split starts with Varlamov ROS but I like him for this week as Varlamov is still nursing an injury.

Swayman will split starts with Ullmark in October (according to the coach) and after that it depends on who's playing better. I like Swayman better and I don't think Ullmark takes the reins despite his salary (which was a terrible signing).

Vanecek is confirmed to get a 3rd straight start and with Samsonov not being established #1, I think Vanecek has a legit chance of grabbing the #1 role.

I dont' trust Holtby anymore. I think we're looking at an early season mirage here.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Veteran

[QUOTE

I dont' trust Holtby anymore. I think we're looking at an early season mirage here.[/QUOTE]

And a migraine the rest of the season. ��
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas