Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are so many high on Markstrom?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Why are so many high on Markstrom?

Dobber has him as tier 1, top 10 goalie, many here rank him pretty high but I don't understand. Calgary's defence is worse this year than last and the team did not get any better on offence either.

Markstrom has a career SV% of .910 and only one season where he was above .915 as a starter. I think 30 wins and .910 SV% is the best one can expect from him this year. This isn't top tier goalie.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Why are so many high on Markstrom?

I suspect it's that he's a volume starter, mainly. Calgary is ag ood team, albeit not a great one, and that means wins.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think it's important to understand that no one is infallible and at the end of the day, it's your team that you're the manager of. If you think you are right and they're wrong, then screw everyone else.

As for Markstrom, I personally think that it's reasonable that people are high on Markstrom, although maybe not as a top 10 goalie. He actually had great protection last year in terms of fenwick and expected rates given shot location and quality. It's just that he underplayed his coverage quite badly. He had a -13.22 GSAx, according to evolving-hockey. You can point to things like his concussion as the culprit to his woes, although as a Canucks fan, to me, Markstrom is someone who needs a good goalie coach to reign in some of his bad habits. He is someone that needs to quiet his game down, because when it's loud, he moves erratically and leaves holes and gaps everywhere. That's what I saw in his game last year.

I'm not necessarily down on him, as I think he is capable of being a very talented goalie. But the whole "look how great we are, how accurate, we predicted this guys breakout" shtick is just marketing. Trust yourself because that's how this fantasy hockey thing works.
    12 Team Roto., 30 Player (20 Keeper) Yahoo Dynasty

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLK -- W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

4 - C/LW/RW
    6 - D
    3 - Util
    3 - G

C - Crosby, McDavid, O'Reilly, Couturier
    LW - Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Bennett, Fiala
    RW - Pastrnak, Kucherov, Caufield, Mangiapane
    Util - Lowry, Backstrom, McCann, Barzal, Pageau, E. Kane, Mercer, M. Foligno
    D - Dahlin, Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Pulock, Dobson, Faulk, Romanov

G - Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Bernier

Dobber Sports Icon

Markstrom’s numbers last night are deceptive. Oilers had so many high danger chances, and he made some terrific saves, including stopping Draisaitl on a beauty cut-in move. He had no chance on the first McD goals (fluky deflected shot comes right to McD; perfect PP 1-timer) and Ryan’s goal was the pick bouncing off Ryan basically.

As for where he should be ranked, the big question is the D, and it looked ok last night.

With even an average D, in a league that counts wins, Markstrom is easily top 10. He’s a workhorse.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Immortal

If Calgary is competitive he could start 60 games. The counting stats that come along with that are massive.

Dobber Sports Superstar

as stated above, workhorse; only so many of those now. I drafted him and Binnington purely for this reason.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I hope he is better than last year. Last year, he cost me the championship with his poor SV%. We start two goalies and count Wins and SV%. My other goalies are Andersen and Vanecek. Markstrom's going to have a short leash this year, especially if Vanecek ends up taking over the #1 job in Washington.

By the way, in my league, Markstrom has no trade value whatsoever. It's a cap league and he has a relatively high AAV. I tried trading him and could not get anything good offered.

Dobber Sports Sage

League setup also plays a role.

Say having a volume starter like Markstrom allows you to not roster another goalie. That's a win since now you can utilize another player instead. Little higher GAA is neglectable at that point.

I'm not sure how much Dobber pays attention to Salary Caps.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Monster

I'll chime in although my take isn't that different than some of the ones above. Once you get past the elite tier 1 goalies and some of the top tier 2, there are not a lot of workhorses that you'd want to roster without the handcuff in some formats. You get into the muck very quickly of guys like Bobrovsky and Talbot who could be great or could be on the pine when you need them most. I think people know Markstrom in Calgary is probably not going to give them superstar performances, but in formats like h2h noncap, getting bulk categories and flipping a coin on SV% and GAA is usually the way you win more often than not. And you accept that his sv% might be .885 one week and .935 the next.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I'll chime in although my take isn't that different than some of the ones above. Once you get past the elite tier 1 goalies and some of the top tier 2, there are not a lot of workhorses that you'd want to roster without the handcuff in some formats. You get into the muck very quickly of guys like Bobrovsky and Talbot who could be great or could be on the pine when you need them most. I think people know Markstrom in Calgary is probably not going to give them superstar performances, but in formats like h2h noncap, getting bulk categories and flipping a coin on SV% and GAA is usually the way you win more often than not. And you accept that his sv% might be .885 one week and .935 the next.
    Good take.

I think people don’t realize that, in addition to the workhorse element (Vladar ain’t stealing starts), Markstrom has solid if unspectacular career numbers - 2.73 / .913, with a quality start percentage of 0.546, is pretty good considering he’s played with weak Canuck teams most of his career.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Wizard

at OP....its one FREAKEN game lol....and against 2 best players in the league....as someone stated the high danger chances against were off the chart. This will get much better. He is top 10 G in the league imo.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    at OP....its one FREAKEN game lol....and against 2 best players in the league....as someone stated the high danger chances against were off the chart. This will get much better. He is top 10 G in the league imo.
    If you read my posts, you'd realize it's not a reaction to one game this year but his whole stint in Calgary.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i did read your post. Yes, you reference last year but you magically post after first game this year.

So it is overreaction. Last year was off for just about everybody. Give it ten games then panic.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The value at which I was able to draft him this season was too hard to pass up given what others said about his start volume, team, coach and the chance of a relatively healthy season to rebound. 9th round of a 13 team league and 11th round of a 12 team league. I drafted him much higher last season and was greatly disappointed like everyone else.

Fingers crossed he has an above average to good season. Although I hedged my bets with him and have the flexibility to avoid tough matchups if he struggles.

Y! 13 Team Roto (Keep 3 - Yr 3) - G, A, PPP, SOG, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV%, SVS
    C(2): , Trocheck, Horvat, McTavish (LW)
    LW(2): Stützle (C), DeBrincat (RW), Hagel (RW),
    RW(2): Pastrňák, Nylander, Konecny (LW)
    D(4): Montour, Letang, Werenski, Andersson, Mintyukov
    UTIL(1):
    G(2): Samsonov, Husso, Talbot, Lyon
    IR+(2):

Dobber Sports Wizard

Another sub-par game from Markstrom. Gives up a very weak goal and his team finds a way to lose in OT.
    I try to be patient with my players but he screwed up my team last year with his crappy SV% and it feels like this year is gonna be another one of those bad ones.

Meanwhile Vanecek has been riding on my bench and putting up much better numbers. I'll re-evaluate after 10 games but man am I getting fed up with Calgary and Markstrom.